What to get for x-mas...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sean7512, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
    Well, I have $100 to spend from my grandma for Christmas. She seems very eager for me to figure out what I want to do with it. As I am the last of the grandchildren to spend it, haha. Anyways, I have come up with 3 ideas...

1. Fujifilm Finepix 7.3 Megapixel with 3X optical zoom. I would like a camera because I do not own one, as I just use my g/f's camera. It is $140, so I'd have to put in my own money, which is the case with all 3 of my choices. I'm not entirely sure how much use I'd have for it, but it would be nice to not have to use my g/f's camera.

2. Western Digital My Book 500GB USB 2.0 HDD. With Leopard and Time Machine approaching, I definitely want to make use of it. Our iMac has a 500GB HDD, so I'm assuming that the external has to match the size of the internal in order to do those "complete system backups." But, do you need more than your internal, because if it has to do a complete system image, where does it store the file history stuff? Anyways, the price is $200. Also, hopefully Time Machine supports USB and is not exclusively FireWire, highly doubtful, I know.

3. New Cell Phone. I am not particularily happy with my current Razr from Cingular. My mom is eligible for a phone upgrade Dec 31, and she really likes my Razr. She can take my Razr, and I'll use her phone upgrade for myself. I was thinking of something like the BlackJack or a different Winblows mobile phone. I do like the idea of being able to browse the internet, but am afraid that it is just a novelty, and I really won't use it for much more than what I'm able to check on my Razr (weather, sports, etc).

I am open to any other ideas as well, but what do you guys think?
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    #1, but I do photography. ;)

I think #2 is the best long-term option, but the least fun. I'd choose #1 because it's always nice to have a camera. I think #3 would be a bit of a waste.
  3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I'd say #1 as then you get to take pictures and send them to Grandma. It's a gift that just keeps giving. Number #2 is too practical, and I agree with Abstract about #3.
  4. jimbo110 macrumors member

Aug 10, 2006
  5. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2005
    I would choose number 2. Its the dullest of the options but if you have any data you don't want to lose a back up drive is a must.
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Option #1 sounds the best to me, although an external HDD is a very practical idea Sean7512. :)
  7. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
    Thanks everyone...I have definitely eliminated the cell phone idea, and I am leaning towards the digital camera. Now, I have two cameras that I am looking at particularly, now I may know a good bit about computers, but cameras are not my thing, so...

Choice 1:
    Fuji FinePix A700 7.3MP - $140 (on sale until saturday)
    + 1GB xd card - $ 40 (on sale until saturday)
    Pros: High MP count
    Seems to be fairly slim
    18.9x total zoom
    Large screen
    Memory Card

Total Cost: $180 +7% tax = $192.60

Choice 2:
    Cannon PowerShot A530 5.0MP - $142.50 (on sale until saturday)
    + 1GB sd card - $ 20.00 (on sale until saturday)
    Pros: 16:9 Widescreen mode
    SD card can be used for my Wii
    Memory Card

Total Cost: $162.50 + 7% = $173.90

Now, I have no idea which camera is of better quality, so can anyone help me out?
  8. tringo macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2006
    here's my advice. Save the $100 until you have enough to put in mutual funds.

It paid off handsomely for me. I have made a lot of money in the stock market by starting early. I wish I could persuade all kids to save at least 20% of there Christmas money because the earlier you start the happier you will be at the end when you have made a bunch of MOOOOOLA!.
  9. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2006
    Just want to point out (and make sure you know) that the 16:9 mode on the Canon isn't for taking pictures, it's for viewing when hooked up to a TV/monitor.

I have the PowerShot 520. It looks like the exact same as yours, except for mine has 4 MP. It's a great camera, but I find that some shots are blurry. I think that this is related to the flash strength. And shot taken within 7 feet of me with flash is fine, but if I use, for example, my full optical zoom to get a far away picture, it comes out blurry. Also, It seems that any indoor shot taken without flash is blurry.
  10. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Sean7512, I still think that I would go with the Fuji FinePix A700. :)

Good advice tringo. :)