what to get, what to get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by treysmay, May 8, 2005.

1. treysmay macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2005
    toronto, ontario, canada
    in the begging when i got accepted to O.C.A.D.
    i planned on getting a 12" rev.D powerbook with superdrive. it seemed like a good buy. but as i learned from visiting an apple retailer the screen was a tad on the small side :mad: offcourse i shouldve known.
    i have virtually 2000 bucks canadian at the end of the summer for a comp.
    since the begging i have used a mac, my dad was a power user architect using macs since 85. i have also been a user. apple 2c, quadra, iMac dv 400, imac dv 450 and now since i took a mechanical design course i am currently using a peace of garbage compaq "2.7ghz celeron, 256 mbr, etc GARBAGE :( "
    so when i mentioned to my dad i was buying a powerbook he said cool but dont get the 12 its too small. he also said if i couldnt afford to play with the big kids he would help me out. i will be doing some graphic design and learning how to do webpage design. now i have a 3000 dollar canadian budget and i was wondering if u guys could help me choose a configuration. this is my first post because the webpage is a bit tricky.

power mac g5 single 1.8 ghz
    512 mbr
    160 gbh
    ati radion 9600 xt 128mbvr
    apple cinema display 20" bluetooth ----- $2,887.00

Powerbook 12" superdrive rev. D
    768 mbr
    geforce fx go 64mbvr
    apple cinema display 20" ------ $2,850.00

Mac mini 1.42 GHZ
    Bluetooth and airport extreme. + wireless keyboard and mouse
    512 mbr, 80gigs, lacie D2 triple interface 200gig, lacie D2 16x double layer superdrive. apple cinema display 20" -------- $2,813.00

i wont go near the imac because i dont like there one partedness, they suck.
    when there done there fried. the only reason i considered a mac mini is because if it gos obselete fast, i can just toss it and have all of those wonderfull accessories.
    please note this is on student discount, and the dell 2005fw is $100 dollars more than the cinema. :eek:

sorry for the long, long long post :rolleyes: but this is just eating my brain. :eek: i just want a rock solid setup. thanks :confused:
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Welcome to Macrumors and your decision to switch back to a Mac. First of all are you really interested in a desktop or do you need portability? I agree with your Dad the 12" PowerBook is kind of small. If you are going to be doing a lot of graphics, then you will need at least 1 GB of RAM.
  3. rot@ti.org macrumors newbie

Jan 21, 2005

What's wrong with a 14" iBook? Bigger screen but lower price than a 12" PowerBook. You won't really notice the slight difference in processor speed.

If you think will need more hard disk space, you can get a build-to-order from Apple with a full 80-MB (but don't buy Apple's RAM -- OWC has it for a lower price and it is easy to install). If you are a student, Apple has discounts that make their prices competitive with any of the Internet dealers.

The big displays are fun to think about, but you probably won't really need one. You Software and other companies offer cheap programs that allow you to have multiple desktops on your Mac at once ("You Control Desktops") which greatly reduces the need for a big expensive display.

Best wishes,

4. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    Well, he is getting the same number of pixels, and some do not like big pixels. I cannot stand the 14" iBook screen.

I would go for the Mac Mini option, personally. You can upgrade that three times for the price of the single G5 Powermac. A 1.42ghz G4 will be plently fast. A lot of people on here always talk about their Powerbook being faster than their iMac G5. Just get 1gb of RAM for the Mini, and that should suffice.
  5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Unless you absolutely need portability, I would go with the PowerMac! Just ask (very) nicely for the money for a dual, I'm sure your dad will understand the need... ;)

Not much sense getting a mini. Gimped speed and graphics without the portability. No FireWire 800 for your hard drive. Eww.
  6. treysmay thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2005
    toronto, ontario, canada

the reason i would like a seperate display and hardrive. because i would like to upgrade for much less in the future. i need a headless mac options because as you all should know they suck to upgrade. ie. graphics and processor.
    and i do mean major upgrades you can purchase upgrades, but they are expensive and small. therefore i am looking at these options because i can swap stuff. the mini is the sweetest looking option, but im worried about the speed.
    i am not doing extremely taxing stuff but i would like a little umph :rolleyes:
    i am aware of the student discount. all of the prices listed are with the student discount. what do you think about the mini? will it last me the 4 years of university? i will have all of the externals after and the actuall mini only costs around 1100 dollars canadian. im just dont like taking losses with computers, for that prices they should wait on me hand and foot :D
  7. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I see no reason why the Mac mini wouldn't last four years. Apple builds quality. Using an iBook currently that will be four years old in July. My main Power Mac G4 will be 5 years old September 1st. Certainly can't beat the price of the mini. The compact size would be an advantage in a college dorm. It should be able to handle all your needs.
  8. treysmay thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2005
    toronto, ontario, canada
    and all the extras i get with the mac mini option is sweet too i guess.
    -200 gig external HD
    -16x external dual layer + lightscribe DVD burner
    -20" cinema display
    -IWORK "forgot to mention it was in the budget"
    -office 2004 student teacher addition "also forgot to mention"
    -wireless Keyboard and mouse.

the mac mini could "go obselete" :D or break and i could replace it with a dual core powerbook when they ever happen ;) and not skip a beat.
    thanks alot for the help guys. but keep on posting cause i could still change my mind lol :eek:
  9. lucidfuel macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2005
    i think everybody has forgot about thye best bang for the buck apple has put out!

the G5 imac. i'm a freelancer and i'm looking into a new machine and the imac is the best buy by far. dollar for dollar it beat all the suggested comps hands down for the $2,800 price point.

for $2,800 can get...
    • 2GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs
    • 250GB Serial ATA drive
    • SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
    • Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
    • 56Kbps Modem
    • 20-inch widescreen LCD
    • 2GHz PowerPC G5
    • ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB DDR Video Memory
    • AirPort Extreme
    • Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

actually $2,816.00 to be exact...

matchs the powermac specs and blows away the others. not only does it match the pm spec, it also offers airport, 250 hd and 2 gigs of ram... if you want to design ram is one of the most important factors. the only thing the power mac really hands down beat the imac on is the Front side bus, but the ram will more then make up for it.

i would STRONGLY suggest the imac G5...
  10. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
    I actually like the imacs myself. Absolutely superb power for the money. You'll get everything you're buying on the side with the mini for $1000 less. I know it feels like you have to toss if when you're done, but you'll still be speeding along with it in 4-5 years, and when you go to upgrade then, that 20" Cinema we all love so much is gonna look like trash next to a 10000:1 contrast ratio ultra-low-power, blindingly bright OLED display. You can also pull that 250GB SATA drive, the RAM, and the DVD burner and use them somewhere else. And it'll probably sell for $800-1000 or so on ebay in 4 years. I think the mini is on it's last legs at introduction, but it'll probably last you for your timeline if you boot it off a 7200rpm external drive.
  11. treysmay thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2005
    toronto, ontario, canada
    if you havent noticed

umm sorry but i you havent noticed i am strongly against one peace

computers. if i wasnt, there would be no second thought. the imac is a

sweetass machine. but it is truely one peace. i know alot of pros using imacs

but im not on a pro budget. although 2800 dollars seems pro, in the long run i

will recycle alot of the stuff. henz i need alot of stuff to recycle, not a one

piece. i am just spending this inittial budget to get in the loop.

therefore when im done university. i can recycle the moniter.

i only own a 19" crt which is staying behind for my sister with my piece of

crud compaq. sorry dude i just cant afford to go through the hole one piece

issues again. the ethernet port broke on my imac g3 dv 400 "$250" to replace

claimed apple and "$300" to setup airport along with alot of other problems.

then my dad donated a former employees imac dv 450. ran fine but by then

os 10.3 was on the in and it was not worth to upgrade. i inturn purchased a

compaq base model for $680 as my sister and i desperately needed a comp.

just lately my dads work partner got the ethernet port to communicate again.

but now its way to late. imac=mad experiences.

my dads wallstreet is used ten fold more than his dell pentium 4 3.06 ghz fully

loaded laptop and his partners blue & white g3 powermac is tredging aswell.

but my dad is a power mac user. it has proven to be very flexable. hes gone

through 3 moniters. my uncle does heavy heavy heavy webpage design and

hes still commuting with his TIbook. so i look at how many people i know

throwing out there imacs from that same time period and see these power

macs still kicking. sorry for my stupid super long rant but i need a super power

budget users opinion on the life expectancy. of consumer compared to power

user stuff.

please somebody. :confused:
  12. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Houston Texas USA
    Well, if you're just going to keep asking the question until someone comes along and gives you the answer you want to hear, why bother asking in the first place? It sounds to me like you've already decided and you're just looking to the forum to reinforce the decision.

Many people in this thread have given you sound and well-reasoned advice and it might make sense. Of those three systems, the iMac absolutely has the best longevitiy and it's not bad advice to recommend it. It's going to hold its value and utility the longest, by far, of the machines you mentioned.
  13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    First of all, I don't think you could have picked a more annoying place to post in double spacing. Second of all, think of the iMac as a lovely big laptop (also all-in-one) that's got the power of a desktop. If you're worried about the longevity of it quality-wise, get AppleCare. I think the current iMacs are fast enough for most users so with respect to being future-proof the current range should be fine. As someone else has said, they're the current sweet-spot of the Apple range.
  14. jdogg707 macrumors regular

Apr 18, 2004
    Ya, when did a Powerbook become a multi-part device? Get an iMac. You can't afford a more powerful PowerMac and the Powerbook is too small, so why not just get the best of both world's? If you want to spend that much on the Mini then go for it, but otherwise, it really isn't worth it just so you can have a bunch of cool toys sitting around your desk.
  15. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Mar 7, 2004
    OK, USA
    Before the Mac purchase, invest some money in an English book.
  16. treysmay thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2005
    toronto, ontario, canada

sorry but i type fast about 85 words a min. and i dont have time to worry about spelling when its not needed. sorry about the double spacing.
    so the imac is that good eh? hmmmmmm
  17. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Houston Texas USA
    What you've said is just another way of saying "You guys aren't important. You don't matter." It's not really a healthy attitude to have towards people you're soliciting for advice and assistance.
  18. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Right. Almost like he didn't want anybody to read it. I certainly didn't...
  19. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

WPM only counts if the spelling is correct (along with the punctuation and grammar). Claiming 85 wpm when it looks like that is like saying you can paint a house in 1 hour and it's got drips and leaves caught in it...
  20. treysmay thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2005
    toronto, ontario, canada
    no you got it all wrong

i do appreciate all your guys opinions. really maybe i just type like i have a bad attitude. :rolleyes:
    no really i actually changed my mind cause of you guys. and other forums ive read. i guess im just a brat.

i decided to go with the 12" powerbook, yes the screen is small. but with a 20"
    cinema its cool. plus ill probably be coming home alot so i can bring it with me to do assignments. i was almost convinced of getting the imac and know alot of pros using it but i can sacrifice the power for a little more portability.
    sorry guys for sounding like a wank.
    thanks alot for the opinions. :D