What to get????

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Gringo, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Gringo macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

recently joined you here in MR. And really would like some of your input on this crossroad I'm in... Both are the same price...

I have the posibility to get an iMac 333 with 160 ram, 6 G HD. But it has a defective cd rom (does not read OS cd's, it can read anything else). The previous owner had it with OS 9.2.2 and decided to downgrade it to 9.0.4, but the genious used an imac specific OS Cd and left this problem in it.... Have tried to fix it and just can't..., at least not me... everything else wirkes like a charm though.

The other one is the G3 Beige 233 Desktop with only 32 ram, and a 4 G HD. Ofcourse I will need the USB so I'll have to install it, more ram, but this type of ram is cheap, and it's very ugly, compared to the iMac. Now my wife really needs a floppy drive and this one has it.... But don't have USB...

What to do???? I wish I could get the iMac, but how much would the fix be??? Plus it is so damm cheap, but it has to be because of the cd rom problem... I can hear music and see any other data cd's, but no OS cd's Only the original 9.0.4 sepcific cd or the same os generic cd.

Any suggestions and help will be very appreciated.

G.-

2. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

The tower is going to be much more upgradable over time. A PCI card with USB and FireWire could be added to it. Like you said the RAM is cheaper. You could easily add a G4, a better video card, etc. when your need for performance changes. You could add a USB floppy to the iMac, but that is yet more money.

3. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

4. Gringo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in Chile South America so prices are different... But in USD they would be at $277.01 each

Now the good part is that I bought my original iMac 266 i had before sold to a friend. So now i have it back and all is great.... I't s in great conditions and I belive that i can get an external floppy USB cheap, but prefere to get the USB flash cards that look very promising.

I do realize that it will be more expenssive to expand, (specially Ram) but It has already 160 ram and the HD is ok for now... speed is cool for me under os 9.2.1 I'm thinking of installing jaguar on it and adding more ram. i want to try it out. Had before 10.1.2 and worked ok, a bit slow, but workable and very very very stable.

Thx for the help and advise...

G.-

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

tower, get the tower.

unless you like to curse yourself, get the tower.

oh and btw, get the tower.

like has been previously saidd. tower = u/g possible = bigger u/g options (i.e. RAM max is higher)

good luck!

6. Gringo thread starter macrumors newbie

Too late

I Got my old iMac 266 back yesterday... I really love it i mean I've never had a better computer experience than with that specific computer. I bought it back yesterday....

I do understand that it will be harder to upgrade, but it will be upgradeble, just take abit longer to get the green...

thx guys,

G.-