what to get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by puckhead193, Sep 13, 2006.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I want a new computer but can't decide. Well i can decide but space is an issue. I live in the dorms and can't decide what to get. My desk its 43 inches by 24 inches. I can't decide between a 24" iMac or a mac pro with a 20" ACD.
    I plan on doing video editing, basic stuff. You think i should get a 20" imac. You think if i got the 24" imac it would be too big? If i put the mac pro on the floor to the left of my desk it will have problems with heat?
    This is my setup now, what do you think i should do.

Attached Files:

2. briantology macrumors 6502

Haha, sounds EXACTALLY like me a couple of months ago, and now, now. My space is limited in the dorms, and my current setup is Mac Pro on the floor (a lot of open space under the desk and bed). On the desk I have 2 19" monitors that have to sit pretty close to the edge. I can barely have my keyboard on there with enough room to rest my wrists on the desk. But as I have come to realize, the Mac Pro isn't for me right now. I'm selling it to get either an iMac 20" or 24". I don't know if I want to spend $500 for 4 more inches of screen, but it's so tempting. I only do mild video editing, so the MP is "overkill" for me. I wanted an ACD as well, but they were kinda expensive. I would definitely invest in one though. So depending on how your money is sitting and how much video/photo editing or whatever else you'll use the comp. for, I would actually go for the iMac. That's what I'm doing, even after the MP experience...

[​IMG]

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

i'm a COMM major with a concentration in TV so. I know the basics of final cut, i would like to learn more and start to understand motion. Any maybe fool around with Shake since its fairly cheep in the spring/summer.
    Do you think not having FW 800, and a better video card will hurt me?
    If i get an imac (20') I would max out the ram, vram, HD and upgrade the processor.

4. briantology macrumors 6502

Hmmm, I don't know. Sounds like you'd be doing more than I will. So a Mac Pro isn't out of the question, it's just more money. If you plan on doing a lot of editing and Motion/Shake, then maybe the Mac Pro would be a better choice. As for me, using Final Cut Express and Photoshop should be easily handled on an iMac. If you're going to use the MP for extensive editing over the next 3-4 years, I would go with that.

5. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Its nothing major yet, so i was thinking of just getting a 24" imac, it has a better video card, FW 800 etc (until i saw it) and when i graduate in 2 years getting a mac pro/whatever its called then.
    But the problem is the 24" i think is too big for my desk unless you think otherwise. Plus i need room for my keyboard and mouse.
    Do you think the 20" (max out) will be sufficient?
    It comes down to size. If you had my desk what would you buy?

6. briantology macrumors 6502

The size is only of significant difference horizontally and height wise. You will have the same amount of desk space between you and the computer no matter what size you go with (with a difference of less than an inch). And since you don't have an obtrusive book shelf one foot above your desk, that shouldn't be a problem. The 24" is nice for the size/graphics, but if you know that you'll be upgrading in a couple of years, saving $500 or so would be a nice start. So I think you should get whichever screen size you want to have, money depending.

7. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Mac Pro, stash it under your bed, it will keep you warm this winter.

8. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Mac Pro, stash it IN your bed, it will keep you REALLY warm this winter.

But seriously, if you have the money I would go with the Pro.

I don't think you have enough room to get far enough away from a 24in iMac. That thing would be right in your face.

9. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Go with the Mac pro, with your major, expandability will come in handy. The extra pci slots can be used for fiber, scsi, upgraded graphics, or uncompressed video import cards, better safe than sorry.

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The Mac Pro gives you performance and storage along with considerable upgradability, the question is whether you should go for those capabilties now
    or wait for the Quad Cores.

I would check the system requirements of all your Pro applications, then decide.

A well equipped iMac 24" should cover you while your learning your way around the applications, so it might be enough until you hit that 3rd year.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I wouldn't let desk size get in the way of productivity. If you get a Mac Pro and ACD, I'm sure you will find a way to make everything fit. Mac Pro will last you longer too.