What to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bsolomonny, Feb 7, 2007.

1. bsolomonny macrumors regular

Hi all,
    This is my dilemma i am still deciding between:
    a new c2d macbook with 2gb of ram for $1200,
    a new cd black macbook for $800 with 512gb of ram,
    a refurb c2d macbook with 1 gb of ram for $1100,
    and a refurb c2d macbook pro with 1 gb of ram for $1600 if it ever goes back on the refurb site.

i just bought the $800 cd blackbook for my girlfriend and to be honest, i think it is pretty nice, except for the speakers and screen size.
    This will be my first mac ever and i am probably over thinking everything. Such as he difference between rev 1 and rev 2 and the real difference between c2d and cd.

I plan to duel boot with windows. i do some light to medium gaming when i have the time. My primaries uses are internet, ms office and movies. Given the above options, what do you think is the most bang for the buck.

Thanks,
    Soon to be a new mac user.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

You said MS Office, and as that is not yet a universal binary, I'd go with the new C2D Macbook with the 2GB of RAM, because Rosetta eats RAM.

Edit: Missed the gaming part. The Macbook does not have a graphics card, it uses the intergrated Intel graphics, which basically suck. I don't have a Macbook but I'm sure someone else can comment on how the games you play work on the Macbook. What games do you normally play?

3. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I'm not sure any of the macbooks would be a good buy for gaming - an imac would be better. Or if you want a notebook, get the refurb C2D MBP.

Is that true that you can get a new C2D MB with 2GB is $1200 and a refurb C2D MB with 1GB is $1100??

Whatever you choose make sure you have at least 1GB ram as it will help a lot with office etc.

4. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

Yes i confirmed it with the store for the 2gb c2d macbook white 2.0 ghz. The 1100 c2d macbook refurb was on the site last week..now it is just a matter of time to wait until it comes back. Maybe i can live without games....you don't think the new cd blackbook for $800 is a great deal? How much would be a 2gb ram upgrade cost?

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you're going to do light to medium gaming, maybe a macbook pro would be the better option. it would also alleviate any concerns you have about the macbook's screen size.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You don't want any machine with 512 MB of RAM. When you add the cost of more memory into Option 2 all of the machines are relatively close in price. However, you don't like the sound or the screen size on a Macbook. Are you sure you want a Macbook? Do you need a laptop? What kind of games do you want to play? These are questions worth answering.

7. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

I have to ask.. where are you shopping?? CD black macbook refurbs are going for close to 1000... can you hook me up??

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I think OS X will win that battle. :D

I would go for either the $1600 MBP or the $1200 2GB MB. The $100 you save for a refurb is not worth it. Since the prices seem so close, I am guessing either the CPU speeds are not the same or you are going edu vs refurb so you get a discount either way.

9. jburrows500 macrumors regular

jburrows500

Where is this place? I am looking at a white macbook 2.0ghz c2d with 2 gb of aftermarket ram for $1570.00+tax. [$1299(c2d) + 124 (1gb) + 124(1gb) - (80 in rebates on the ram)..

10. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

The university here in NY doubles the ram for free on the macbooks...so no rebates. The CD Blackbook is on clearance...sorry there are only a 1 or 2 left. I would love to hook you up if i could.

11. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

I play COD 2 and a few other games where i can run around shooting people...but i think i can live without the games. I am a MBA student and sadly have less and less time for games. Any idea of the average battery times of the the above mentioned machines?

12. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

LOL! quote of the day :)

bsolomonny, i think you'd be best taking option 2, or if you have the money option 4. But as emptyCup asks, do you need a laptop? If not, an iMac will give you the best of everything except of course portability.

13. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

Yes i definitely need portability. I am going to school in Taiwan and come home, and travel frequently. By option 2 you mean the CD 2.0 Ghz blackbook for $800 with 512 MB of Ram? How much will the 2 gb of ram cost? You don't think having the Core 2 cpu is worth a little extra. I really love the MBP but i think it is hard to justify the extra expense considering the great deals on the macbooks.

14. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

heck, it's more fun to buy it with 512 MB, use it for a while, then install a gig just to appreciate the extra speed - kinda like getting another one after the install!:p

15. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Err... sorry... yes i meant the C2D MB for $1200 - much better value for money.