What to look for in an attache case?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lyle, Mar 15, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

Jun 11, 2003
    Madison, Alabama
    Admit it, you've seen more obscure topics than this in the "Community Discussion" section.

I've wanted an attache case for several years now as I have more and more junk to carry back and forth between the home and office. My wife has informed me that this will be my birthday present from her this year, and I just need to go pick one out. So my question is -- especially for those of you who own attache cases and have some experience in using them on a regular basis -- what kinds of things should I be looking for?

I know that I'd like for it to be reasonably lightweight. I've always imagined it having some kind of leather covering, but that's not a must. Note that I'm not looking for something to carry a notebook computer in; this would be to carry papers, maybe a book or what have you.
  2. macrumors newbie

poisoned hawk

Jul 4, 2005
    Midlands UK
    get the thinnest one you can find, that will make you assess the junk you carry around, thus your life will be steamlined:rolleyes:
  3. macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Blowguns, and a poison needle hidden in the handle.
  4. macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    Small strip of gold coins hidden around the edge.
  5. macrumors 65816

On a serious note, make sure the latches are of good quality. A jammed latch means prying it open and prying means scatching up the finish.

I have the plans to make an attache case out of wood, but I thought the whole thing looked a bit heavy.