What to offer for a TiBook 400?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunkre, May 18, 2006.

1. bunkre macrumors member

My friend just bought a Macbook, and was thinking of buying his tired old tibook 400 (1 gig ram). The battery is very old and the screen is washed out, but I want something cheap that I can throw in my bag for the sole purpose of Pro Tools demos with my Mbox.

How much do you think I should offer? Looks like ebay is all over the place now that the macbook/macbook pros are unleashed.

Disclaimers: 1) I tried to post this in marketplace, it wouldnt let me?! 2) Before people start bitching about what a real pro tools rig really needs - I just need this for 4-8 track demos on PT LE. I've run it on an ibook 300 just fine.

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd start offering at $300-350. The value of PowerPC Macs is dropping but the native Classic support of the Titanium is valued.

3. bunkre thread starter macrumors member

Oh that's a good point.

Maybe better off with a G4 ibook? I did see some guy on here was selling a 7XXmhz ibook for about the same... I'd like a little extra CPU for the same money, screen size isnt important for this one.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well, if you're running Pro Tools LE (The free Classic version) you're going to NEED to be able to boot into OS 9. Otherwise the G4 iBook (Boots OS X only) is a much better way to go. You'll get much more power and a newer machine for just a little more.

5. bunkre thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'd be running panther - its PT LE 6.x
    Unless hes willing to give me a stupid great deal on the TiBook I think I will wait for the right iBook deal...

Thanks for the input!

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Alright then. The iBook will give you more bang for your buck. People should be dumping their old iBook G4's right now so it's a buyer's market for you.