What to tell a switcher...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Diatribe, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Diatribe macrumors 601

    Diatribe

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    Location:
    Back in the motherland
    #1
    I am in a sticky situation here. I switched my dad, meaning he is ready to go ahaed and buy a mac. He wants to do so beginning to mid november. Originally he wanted a 12" or 15" PB, but now I am not to sure what to recommend him.
    I can't really recommend him the 12" now with the iBook update, so that leaves the 15" PB. For this price though he gets almost a 17" iMac AND a 12" iBook... but I don't know about having two computers and my Dad always likes to have the best stuff and I don't know if he'd like the white.
    I don't really know what to tell him now that he has been waiting for the PB upgrade that won't be coming now...
    Any thoughts?
     
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
  3. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

    Diatribe

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    Location:
    Back in the motherland
    #3
    Just to throw some prices in.

    Fully loaded 15" around 2500€
    iBook 12" and 17" iMac loaded around 2750€
    iBook 12" and 20" iMac loaded around 3050€

    Now that's a pretty huge difference. Two other thoughts: Originally he wanted the 12" so the 15" that he wants a bit more is already way more expensive and the only thing close to that price would be getting the 17" which he won't take b/c he has a 19" right now. (No dual suggestions, he won't do that :( )
    Ahh this is killing me.
     
  4. yippy macrumors 68020

    yippy

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #4
    How about the new single 1.8Ghz tower and an 12' iBook? Then he could still use his screen and have a much longer lasting computer (can be upgraded). It would be about $2500.
     
  5. kylos macrumors 6502a

    kylos

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2002
    Location:
    MI
    #5
    a tricked out 12in pbook is less than $200 dollars more than a tricked out ibook, purchasing ram from another source. With the pbook you get, a faster system bus (133 v. 167), dvi as well as the vga found on ibooks (and spanning at 2048 x 1536 without a hack), a faster harddrive(5400 v. 4200), line in, twice the vram, and smaller size and lighter weight at same resolution (14in ibook is required for superdrive and same processor speed).

    While the ibooks are uncomfortably close to pbooks in specs, the pbooks have enough features and performance boosts (harddrive speed and system bus cause most of the slowdowns and hiccups you'll notice during normal (non-processor intensive) use) to justify the extra cost if you need the best in the smallest package. And it comes in anodized aluminum :D.
     
  6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #6
    if he doesnt need a 'book, and already has a nice monitor, why not consider the new single processor tower? seems like it would last a while, and a good price point for what your looking for
     
  7. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

    fartheststar

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2003
    Location:
    Vancouver
    #7
    Why don't you talk to your dad about what he wants?
     
  8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

    patrick0brien

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    Location:
    The West Loop
    #8
    -Diatribe

    Ask him two questions:

    1. What does he want to do with it?
    2. What does he see himself doing with it a year from now?

    Base the recommendation on both answers.
     
  9. russed macrumors 68000

    russed

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2004
    Location:
    London, England
    #9
    i would go for the single 1.8g5 route. lots more expandability if a portable isnt needed and also looks well nice! also if a portable is needed get one on of the last revs of the ibook cheeper off the apple site soon
     
  10. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

    Diatribe

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    Location:
    Back in the motherland
    #10
    Thanks for all the replies. I talked to my dad yesterday on the phone and will talk to him again as soon as I get back to Germany. Bottom line is that he wants a laptop and he wants the 15". I don't feel like changing his mind and since he is wondering whether to buy now or wait till MWSF '05 I will tell him to get it now, the sooner the better.
    IF, and that's a big if, there is anything more significant than a speedbump then it is going to be a rev. a anyway. Also he is not a power user, doesn't do photo or video editing, nor does he play graphic intense games. With that in mind I think the 15" G4 would suit him fine for the years to come. And the sooner he gets it the more he can enjoy it.
    I think this is the way to go. Any objections?
     
  11. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

    Palad1

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    Location:
    London, UK
    #11
    None, you may proceed to the holy AppleStore and perform the sacred ritual of tricked-out 15'' PB SD acquisition.

    May your finder never be locked and Steve-o be with you, my brother!
    [​IMG]
     
  12. J.Allen macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, South Australia
    #12
    Those numbers scare me.
    I can buy a Celica GT4 ST-185, direct from Japan, have it complyed and registered for less than that :D.

    Though I'd agree with those above, 12" ibook+17"iMac is a better deal, though I wouldn't go as far as to say a great deal.
     
  13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

    patrick0brien

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    Location:
    The West Loop
    #13
    -Diatribe

    None. The 15 is a fine machine and should last him many many years.
     

Share This Page