What to use if you can't use airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidwes, May 21, 2006.

1. davidwes macrumors regular

Dec 28, 2004
    Hello. I have two macs. One is a bluberry G3 iMac that can't use an airport card. The other is a lampshade g4 imac that does not have an airport card installed yet. I need to have both these computers using the interent but I don't know how to do that.

First off I know I can buy the base station with one wired port for 200 dollars, and then a used airport card off ebay for 150. It seems like a ton of money. Is there any other way?

I am currently used a cable modem, bothe computers are using 10. something.
  2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    You dont have to buy expensive Apple-branded networking products. Try LinkSys or Netgear or any of the hundreds of products available at Best Buy, Fry's, or any other large computer outlet.
  3. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    Assuming you can run ethernet cables to the computers you need a cable/dsl router. These come both with and without wireless connectivity -- if you plan on updating a a wifi ready computer then it is probably worth the extra few dollars for a wireless ready router.

The router will have one ethernet port that connects to your cable modem and usually 4 ethernet ports that can be used to connect computers into the home network you will be setting up. Personally, I've had a couple of linksys routers and never had any problems with using them with my OS X and Linux and Windows machines. If you go for a linksys router, the WRT54GL is a safe bet. Avoid the current WRT54GS routers the older version of this router is fine, but the new ones based on a VX kernel tend to be unstable.

Router + 2x 12' ethernet cables should come out to around $80 at most. Far cheaper than the solution you mentioned.