What to use in place of VLC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by agentphish, Jun 5, 2005.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Hello everyone,

I've had it up to here w/ VLC ever since tiger upgrade. It just screws off left and right and locks up or suddenly quits and stuff. Are there any worthwhile alternatives for mac? I use powerdvd on my pc and it plays anything i throw at it flawlessly.

Also is there an issue w/ codecs on mac? I am somewhat new to it (only had one since september) I know for my pc i need codecs for xvid etc, from what i understood, VLC has those all built in.

What shall I do?

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

have you tried mplayer? google it.

and yes there a couple good codecs you can get to have quicktime play lots of video files. Divx and 3ivx (sp?) to name a couple.

3. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

VLC has been glitchy since Tiger. There haven't been any big problems related to crashes or anything, but it seems like it plays video choppier than before and I always get these darn error messages.

4. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

yup thats my ccomplaints. too bad because i really liked it.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Anyone else running into the mplayer problem where the volume is reset to maximum for every file? (Version 2.8b8r5) It's highly annoying...

6. efoto macrumors 68030

Is there any talk of a more Tiger-compatible version of VLC in developement or something? I am still using Panther and find VLC to be the best video player around, save for a few file formats, and would hate to lose it to Tiger.

Its a tough choice, there are A TON of new features that look amazing with Tiger, and yet I read almost daily about some program that either doesn't work or works with new problems....sad.

7. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

8. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

We'll i've been using mplayer for a couple of days now, seems alright. I dont really like how there is like 2 parts to it though, the player and the video window because it seems that to go fullscreen with the video window you have to apple F on the player part, not the video window, then when the video window is fullscreen you cant just apple f outta it. or am i missing something

9. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

I also vote for you to use mplayer. It plays most files however not as much as vlc could. Until it got all buggy with tiger

10. efoto macrumors 68030

I have mplayer as well (as addition to VLC since I could not get the latter to play bin/cue files and mplayer does more or less) but my major hitch with it is that when you click outside the window the placback halts, and you have to select the video window again to have the movie continue playback. That is really annoying when you are trying to watch a movie at half size and play Quinn nextdoor :p

Other than that (which is a major offense to me, is there an option I missed somewhere?) mplayer plays most things....but this djoPlayer seems pretty cool too, so I'm trying that one out now.

11. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Tried it looked as buggy as hell and didnt open Real files like it said it did and had poor video/audio sync on some windows media files :rolleyes: :(

This now banished to the land of wind and ghosts

12. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Try XinePlayer. I've been using it lately to play XivD/DivX movies. Seems to work fine in Tiger.

Edit: There's also nightly builds of VLC that you could try out. But they can be buggy and they may destroy your computer in a grand explosion, turning it to dust, while ripping your house apart and in the process turning the neighbourhood into a wasteland. It'll probably kick your dog and steal your socks too. But if you don't mind the risk, then you can download it here.

Edit2: Forgot, it's not builds, but just source. So you'll have to build it yourself... which might not always work.