What to wear to a Apple "At-home Advisor Position" interview?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by lordking65, Mar 21, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Black dress pants,dress shirt, and tie?

Khakis, dress shirt, no tie?

Jeans, Dress shirt, tie, vans?

Casual? Semi formal? Formal?

I know this is pretty mundane of a topic, but what would you wear?

I'm at student at SDSU and they were advertising the position. This is my first real non-school related job. Can you help me out?

2. macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

You should dress for success. No jeans, no vans.. Suit, tie, etc.. I know its Apple and all employees when hired where t-shirt and jeans, but for a professional interview, I'd recommend nice slacks and a nice dress shirt with a tie. You don't need a sport Jacket, but just try to look professional..

No interview from what I have seen involved the candidate wearing jeans.

3. macrumors 65816

4. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Never go less than dress shirt, tie, and dress pants (assuming you are male) and dress shoes. Neat facial hair is important too. More, such as a suit, never hurts either.

I know a lot of instances (from personal hiring experience) where the choice between candidates was so close that it came down to the one who dressed for success so to speak. You want to impress your interviewer and doing that involves looking your best and being confident. Some people will dish out bad advice such as "some places want you to dress casual for an interview!" Do not fall into that trap. Its purely bad advice. Even if someone considers you over dressed for whatever reason it doesn't matter, your personality will be able to sell you.

5. macrumors regular

Suit. Better to be overdressed than under. Makes it clear you take the interview seriously.

6. macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

One exception..

If you were interviewing for a heavy construction based job... most construction companies or industrial companies don't like people dressed in suits and mistake them for being "sales reps".. I know, I had this problem 7 years back when I did outside sales for Nextel. Clearly, the industrial and construction markets don't like when people pull up in suits and ties..

I remember a friend of mine who got offered a position as a flagger.. he wore a nice dress shirt and jeans + black shoes - they hired him.. So, the best rule of thumb would be if you aren't sure.. use common sense and dress professionally.. but unless you hear from the interviewer telling you that you don't have to dress up in a suit and tie, then dress business casual..

7. macrumors G3

roadbloc

8. macrumors 68040

entatlrg

long sleeved t shirt - black.

levi's jeans

new balance running shoes

HIRED!

9. macrumors 604

chrono1081

10. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Bingo. I won a job against 500 other applicants and I dressed to the nines. It may not be what got me the job (I was vastly overqualified [tough times]) but it certainly didn't hurt.

11. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

12. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    Absolutely.

Also, if you're male and your interviewer is female, definitely buy some nice shoes to wear. And wear a pressed shirt with a very fine pinstripe. No large plaids or patterns. This goes for dating as well. Women pay extra attention to such details.

13. macrumors newbie

I wore jeans, a t-shirt, a baseball cap, and birkenstocks...

I start 6/17

14. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

Congratulations. However I guess the op has made up his mind since 2011! However I would always say for an interview

Attached Files:

15. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Dress as you would dress for a day of work at home....your underwear and a really ratty bathrobe.:p

16. macrumors newbie

All my interviews were over a phone so it didn't matter.:D

17. macrumors newbie

Even though all the interviews were done via FaceTime or Skype, the Team Leader (Interviewee) still looks to see if you followed the directions of business casual dress given by the recruiter who set up that interview for you. No tie needed, but look sharp. Neat dress shirt.....a color that pops.... what makes you different than everyone else?