What tool do you recommend for deleting cookies and history

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by piranha, Feb 17, 2007.

1. piranha macrumors newbie

Feb 17, 2007
    I need to take my computer to a computer repair shop for an upgrade, and I want to erase all sensitive information on it, such as cookies, internet history, some office documents, and other things. I created a few CDs with the documents that I need ( inluding my personal photos and emails ) and now I want to erase the other files without formating the drive
    Anyone can please recommend a good tool that erases them without the chance of being recouvered? I don't any young student playing around the machine and undelete files and photots ( you know, some of them are very private and personal ).
  2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    Delete them in your Web browser (Safari Menu==>Reset Safari) works. And them go to /Applications/Utilities and erase free space with 7 passes.

Otherwise I would just set up an auto-logging in spare account with Admin access called Apple, or Repair for them to use, that's what I did.
  3. acearchie macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2006
    MacScan did a good job for me! And got out all the spyware in the same process!
  4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    I agree with making a new account for the repair crew.

Right spyware and you have to pay for it...
  5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
    Whats wrong with the browsers options to delete that stuff?
  6. acearchie macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2006
    Well I know this is really naughty but I redownload the trial every month!

Btw: back on topic . . . Is there something we have to hide or do you just not wanting them to know which websites you visit etc...
  7. flyinmac macrumors 68020

Sep 2, 2006
    United States

Perhaps he read this story, and is trying to stay out of trouble:

Read it, it's a good one. It even involves a Mac and a school principal. Guy took his computer in to be serviced, and ended up with jail time.

All you stupid molesters out there, get smart. Stop molesting. Stop taking pictures. And, if your computer breaks down, just buy a new one. Don't get the other one fixed. Buy a new one.

But seriously, just stop. Do the right thing. Just stop.

I used to run a local repair business. I had a customer I knew call me one day saying that pictures on his computer didn't look right anymore. I asked him what the problem was, and the best description I could get (from his evasive answers) was that flesh-tones didn't look right. I knew his daughters, and the guy always seemed a bit odd. Needless to say, I refused to fix his computer for him.

I also had another guys computers come in for service. His wife was having me fix them to give to her grandsons.

Well, I stumbled onto some stuff, and was faced with a dilemma. The problem, well, the guy was deceased. I didn't want to taint her memory of him, but I couldn't see that she'd want her grand-sons to see that stuff.

So, there you go. Remember to format your hard drive before you die. I'd hate for your wife to find out that you were a slime later.
  8. PCtoMac-change macrumors member

Feb 10, 2007
    I hope you're not saying what I'm thinking. That's just sick.:mad:

Sorry to go off topic here, but had to say something to that.
  9. flyinmac macrumors 68020

Sep 2, 2006
    United States
    Yes, quite terrible. Strange thing, is that the guy didn't get the message. I even had him show-up on my doorstep one day (since his daughter's knew me, they knew where I lived).

He had some problem with his computer, and he called and wanted me to come out. I refused, and told him I wouldn't fix his computer.

He shows-up on my doorstep, and demands to know what I'm doing that's more important than fixing his computer. I answered the door covered in caulking as I was doing some repair work on various seams in the house, and told him again that I would not fix his computer.

He told me that he thought it was strange that I'd turn down money to spend the day doing "Nothing", and I told him that I would rather just keep working on the house than to fix his computer. Sent him on his way.

I would have liked the chance to check his machine and set things right. But, he always requested on-site service. And, he always sat right over me while I repaired it. So, refusing to fix his machine was about the only thing I could do. At least that would leave him without a computer.
  10. Gambuchi macrumors member

Nov 15, 2003
    Here is a pretty good one: Try this