What TV should I get?

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheDance511, Mar 5, 2007.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2007
    California soon
    Hey guys... i am in the market to buy a ps3!!! ya! :) but i have one problem..my tv is an old crt... so.. i donno..my question is in order to view the ps3's FULL power what kind of tv should i get my budget for a tv is going to be about $1500 U.S. umm so any suggestions are appreciated..built in good sound would be ap lus:apple:
  2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    There is a Sharp LCD TV that I've got my eye on. It's about your price range ($1650), and will probably keep dropping as well.

Here's the link: Outpost.com
  3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    For your price range a nice DLP or RPCRT would be the best route to go. It depends on the size you want. If you are willing to go under 40" then i would go with LCD, i would stay away from any plasma's in that price range though as i havent seen many that are worth while in that price bracket.

Vizio makes a nice 37" LCD (720p/1080i) that Costco sells for a decent price. You could also get a decent 50" 1080p DLP set for that price range.

Size matters :p look around, do your homework and make sure that you look at TV's and make an opinion based on what you are looking for.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    My pall Ed has talked me into purchasing this one myself and from what I've seen and read...its really good for a respectable price.

$300 more and I'll be gaming like I never did before.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    One thing I have found with Full HD TV's 1080p is that

SD broadcasts are too soft on them generally, even with very expensive scalers, and games which do not make use of 1080p actually look better on a 720p set than they do on a 1080p set.

It's like having a monitor. When run at it's native resolution it looks great, but when a lower resolution is displayed on it, then it can tend to not look so great.

A 720p/1080i set for me then is probably a wiser choice for games 'this generation' as the majority of games this gen will be 720p
  6. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
    50" Samsung I've got the 5086w series, and I love it. Cheap plasmas burn-in, and LCD's are too expensive for the real-estate. MRU is right about 1080P sets and gaming.
  7. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I just got one of these and I absolutly love it. The color is amazing and the 360 looks great on it. Not to mention it's one of the best looking HDTVs as well (IMHO). They also make a 40" model that should still be in your price range.

Got a great deal on newegg.com, shipping was $50 but it was $300 cheaper than the local Best Buy and Circuit City plus no tax from Newegg :)

I decided that getting 1080i/p support was not worth the extra money for gaming just yet. Maybe in a year or two and after I get a real job I'll upgrade and put this one in the bedroom or something.
  8. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2006
    Skip the TV and get a projector! I play my xbox 360 at 1080 on 12ft screen. Boo-ya! It's the business. Oh and it's easier to move and there's less stuff to break on it. i got mine a year ago and have only been to the cinema once since. Yes, they are that good. (also have a proper surround sound with it). :D
  9. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Sep 22, 2006
    I totally agree... get a projector with the plug-ins that you want. A good projector will run (est.) between 800 and 1000 dollars. My friend who is a huge film buff and is in film school has a projector instead of a TV to play his movies, and it is awesome. You don't have to mess with the weight of a TV, throwing your wiimote into your TV or anything!! just make sure you project the picture on a clean wall, hehe.