What TV to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ncook06, May 27, 2006.

1. ncook06 macrumors regular

Next year I will be heading to University of Miami. In the dorms we have free cable. I am looking for a TV that will work well for three purposes:

1) as an external monitor with my MB (hopefully in HD)
    2) cable TV
    3) TV for xbox (not HD) and possible future system (HD)

size: at least 19", no more than 24"

I am on a budget of $300-600. If you need any more info, just ask.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

well at that price range you are pretty much stuck with a CRT. Head down to Walmart and get the biggest one.

3. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

4. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

My Brother just bought a Sharp Aquos 20" LCD HD Ready from Refurbdepot for $339. Incredible picture. I think the price went up a hundred bucks since then but it's still a great deal, and from a reliable manufactuer like Sharp.

Hope this helps

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If you're looking to use it as an external monitor, you'll want an HDTV that has a DVI input. Not sure if you'll find one in the size range you've specified.

6. ncook06 thread starter macrumors regular

What size range will I find it in?

7. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I know this is maxxing your budget, but you could get a 20 inch ACD and buy a Elgato tv turner...

But that is not the cheapest way to go about this :D If you can, I'd go with LCD

8. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

9. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I think I wouldn't buy anything branded "Famous Maker," at least not without seeing it in person and having a solid warranty and a no-questions return policy.

For the money, you could get a Dell 20" widescreen display and a nice TV tuner. Then you'd have an HD-capable set that you know will be a satisfactory computer monitor, you'll have DVR capabilities (which you didn't ask for but will really come to love), you can plug the XBox directly into the monitor (and use the PIP and/or PBP modes if you want), and you'll come out under budget.

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I don't know if those preferences are ranked, but I would seriously consider the following.

A dorm is limited on space. If you plan on this being "the tv" for the room. Then you need not worry so much about #1. If it is "the tv", I would totally scrap all of the tuner + display suggestions because you really don't want your roommate on your computer every time he wants to watch tv or play XBOX.

Dorms will not get any HD signals for TV, I'm sure you expect this but just throwig it out there.

I don't know your needs for that extra monitor but I really think in college you should be able to get around without it. I mean if you want something so you can hook it up and play DVD's, you don't need more than s-video.

But overall I recommend having the TV seperate with the option to have the computer on it.

11. ncook06 thread starter macrumors regular

The reason I'm looking at it as an external monitor is because I'm planing on getting a PowerMac (Mac Pro) sometime around my junior or senior year.

12. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Sure they do. They don't get HD cable channels, but they get the terrestrial ones just like any other residence would.

Good point about sharing with the roommate, but if you use the DVR features, all you have to do is share your recordings folder and your roommate can watch whatever he wants without ever having to be on your computer. Of course, he won't be able to watch live TV as he pleases, but I know that I was rarely in my room except to sleep in my dorm years and we didn't have a TV at all in our room.

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I'm learning about HD, but some dorms are reasonably old and might unitentionally block such signals due to their construction materials. Thats something to consider.

As for upgrading to a desktop ... that will probably depend largely on your needs and major. But if you're anything like the average college student new expenses like beer and bars are going to pop up and empty that mac pro fund quickly. I would honestly suggest trying to stretch the machine through the four years.

As for not having a TV and not being in your room, thats your call. Drunk video games are fun.

14. ncook06 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in Miami's Audio Engineering program and I'm getting more involved in doing my own recording, so it's only a matter of time before I require the power. I bought a Macbook that should be okay for 4 years for my mobile purposes, but a desktop for power/price ratio would be nice.

15. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81