What type of bag to you carry your camera in?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by millza.nz, Oct 15, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2011
    What type of Bag do you carry your camera in, looking for a bag that will take at least a 13" Macbook Pro and a DSLR with about 3 lenses and is a backpack any suggestions?
  2. macrumors member

Nov 3, 2008
    Check out fstopgear. A guru with a medium icu should do the trick. I have the same bag and its great! Depending on how big o a bag you want and if you want a dedicated laptop compartment you could also look at the tilopa. Yes, the bags are expensive but worth every penny IMO.

You could also look at think tank bags as they have many that would fit your needs. Think tanks are gray bags but just not as versatile as fstopgear bags IMO.
  3. macrumors 6502

Dec 23, 2010
  4. macrumors 68040

Dec 28, 2009
    I used to have a Tamrac Evolution 8 Backpack that did the trick. It'll hold a 15" laptop as well as your camera gear. Fully loaded it can get a little boxy looking/cumbersome however you can use it like a sling/backpack depending on the strap setup. Worked really well for me however I opted to drop down to a normal Lowepro sling which has worked fine for now. Should this be something you're interested in, I'd skip the Evo 9. That thing is HUGE.

5. macrumors regular

May 12, 2012
    Tenba Gen-3 Small Backpack.
    Quality is amazing, and only 30 EUR.

Fits my Alienware + DSRL perfectly.
  6. macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
  7. macrumors 6502

Sep 12, 2007
    Lowepro. Forgot which model. But it holds all my camera equipment minus the flash.
  8. macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2010
    Washington, D.C.
    I use a Timbuk2 Snoop Insert in XS, and usually toss that into a backpack or TB2 messenger. The XS fits 1 body, 1 prime lens, 1 zoom lens, with room to spare for battery charger, extra SD cards, etc. Very roomy and high quality. $30 for the XS.

Attached Files:

9. macrumors G3

May 25, 2008
    Apple state
  10. macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    Two Lowe Pro's here, and a fairly nondescript large bag that they fit into...It's a little like those Russian dolls where you keep taking one out and they get smaller and smaller as you go...:D
  11. macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2011
    I've got a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home. The 8 has a laptop sleeve, but its pretty big. Check out The Local Indenty Large for something a bit more compact. Crumpler's stuff is more pricy then other options, but I find them to be extremely durable and they come with a ton of dividers. Plus they're pretty easy on the eyes too.
  12. macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2008
    Nottingham, England
    Kata for me - http://www.kata-bags.com/

My Kata rucksack holds my MacBook Pro, Canon 30D body, 2-3 lenses, flash and accessories.

It is well supplied with addition zipped pockets (inside and out) and also comes with a useful Tripod holder that attaches externally.

Very well made and very comfortable to wear.
  13. macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2010
    Pune, India
    I use a Kata Sensitivity V Backpack, it's pretty good, fits the 13MBP, Camera Body + 1 lens in the bottom compartment, and 2 lenses in the top (unless they are the really large tele kind) with some room to spare.

Here's a photo:

14. macrumors 65816

May 8, 2008
    Hilo, Hawai'i
  15. macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2010
    Calgary AB
    Love the Kata bags... very well designed and customizable
  16. macrumors member

Aug 13, 2006
    Battleground Europe?!
    My main bag is the Domke F-1X with space for the D3X and D700 (backup camera and will be replaced with a D4), Nikon 24-70, 70-200, 50 f/1.4, 14-24 f/2.8 and 85 f/1.4 lenses, a couple of SB-800's, 8x16 GB memory cards, 4x32 GB memory cards, 3 PocketWizard Plus III, 8 batteries, and a few filters.

Travelling with Pelican 1614.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Oct 31, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Currently using a Tamrac Pro 12 as my main bag. Got it for Christmas last year, couldn't be happier. When I need to carry more gear, I have a Tamrac (697 or 698, I'm not sure) rolling backpack. My one gripe is that it is a little too big to be a carry on. When I need a smaller backpack (when I'm taking my bike or going out for a long day) I have an old LowePro Phototrekker. I also have a big PhotoTrekker AW II that I bought when I was in 5th grade being used to store cameras in my closet.

I would love to get a ThinkTank Airport Accelerator for travel, and this for everyday use.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Feb 15, 2006
    Kent, UK
    I have 2 systems. My leica and 28mm f2 I carry in a Billingham L2, in the winter I sometimes just carry it in my coat pocket. My D700 with 24mm f1.4 I carry in a generic backpack. I prefer that no-one knows I am carrying a camera.

When travelling on an aircraft or long distance bus, I cram both systems into a Billingham bag which is also large enough to take my 17"mbp and accessories (charger, HDDs etc). I wrap the cameras in a sweater or hoodie, or similar to prevent damage.

The problem I find with "camera" bags is that they look just like a camera bag, this applies to both the over shoulder type and backpacks. Living in Sao Paulo, it really is better to be more discreet.
  19. macrumors demi-god

Jun 5, 2012
    I like my Lowepro Nova 180...for now.

It's a top-loading shoulder bag with a strap that's long enough to go around my neck (sling style). Small enough that I can carry it around all day.

Only problem is that if I add any more gadgets I'll run out of space.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Aug 27, 2010
    Shepherdsturd, WV
  21. macrumors member

Jan 8, 2008
  22. macrumors 68040

Jul 9, 2012
    For the wife and me, the amount of equipment and the distance drives the choice of bag for a specific trip. No one bag does everything well.

We use a Lowepro slingback when we only take one body and a couple of smaller lenses on a short hike. A Lowepro Vertex if we plan on a longer hike and/or want 2 bodies and more lenses.

Just got back from 2 weeks in Colorado. Both of used Lowepro Proroller 200 bags to take 2 bodies, 4 lenses, accessories, and rMBPs in the outer pocket. Needless to say, we never check the Prorollers; those are carry on bags.
  23. Designer Dale, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012

macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Mar 25, 2009
    Folding space
    I have several bags including a Domke and Crumpler 5MDH. My go to bag for hiking has been the REI Fast Pack in this photo. It's just a super light backpack and it holds several lenses in travel cases. On this walk I had my 28-75 Tamron on my camera and a 50mm f/1.4 and 100mm f/2.8 macro in the bag. Water and food, too.

24. macrumors 6502a

deep diver

Jan 17, 2008
    Solon, OH
  25. macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2003
    SF Bay area
    Consider the Lowe Pro Event Messanger. It has a padded slot for an iPad or small laptop and room for three lenses (not monster lenses) and a body. It also has a front zippered pouch for filters, batteries and such.