What type of company is Apple?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Apple Corps, May 21, 2006.

1. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Lots of opinions - it is a hardware company / it is an operating system company / it is a "computing experience" company / whatever.

My view is that it is more of the total experience - and, IMHO - the hardware component is not helping. Are the pros working on ways to run OS X on non Apple hardware? I'd love to try a Vaio or Lenovo with OS X running.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Being that they don't license their software for use on other machines, it is very hard to call them a software company. Most of their money comes from hardware (including the iPod). While their software is important, it isn't their main source of income. I consider them a hardware company with great software.

3. odedia macrumors 6502a

I think their hardware is too big a part of their business to allow it to run on other machines.

Didn't understand what you ment when saying "the pros". Basically, you can install Mac OS X on your vaio but it's not so easy and also illegal at the moment.

Oded S.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Both, there hardware was once a different type of Hardware then almost eveyone, but now they are using similar hardware as other good companys, however there software puts them above other companys.

I would say more people buy Macs for OS X then the hardware, but i have seen post on this sight for people planing to use only XP or Linux(or atleast mainly)

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Do they really need a label? C'mon, Think Different!

6. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Their Motion and Final Cut software is pretty much the industry standard, so in that light I would consider them partly a software company, although their software depends on it being run on Apple hardware. It's a beautiful thing, really.

7. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

odedia - by "pros" I was thinking about highly skilled hackers :)

8. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

Oded - getting past the legal issue - how does one get OS X running on other hardware - are there sites that one can go to?

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Apple Computers Inc.

I'd have to say they are a "Computer" Corporation.