What type of data usage does AT&T charge for? (sent vs received)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AlphaDogg, Dec 4, 2010.

1. macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I just got an iPhone 3G 8GB today with the 200mb data plan. I have sent 1.1mb of data and received 22.5mb of data. Am I charged for the 1.1mb of data, the 22.5mb of data, or 23.6mb of data?

2. macrumors 601

vincenz

It should be just data received, but don't quote me on that. You can download at&ts iPhone app to get an accurate report on your usage, don't rely on your phone's stats in settings.

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I did, but the app said: cannot determine current data usage because of the recent change of the plan until the next billing cycle... Or something to that effect...

4. macrumors 601

vincenz

Oh that. I guess your only other option is to log in the AT&T website on a computer. Or wait a few days. The first month's data usage is usually more than subsequent months. You know, with the whole syncing and honeymoon phase.

5. AlphaDogg, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Lol it shouldn't be that different than on my 2G..... I had that for a year (bought used for $100 a year ago)... Soo I don't know...

Edit: Don't need to worry about it for the month! My parents just let me get the 2GB data plan for the month... Just to assess my data usage...

6. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you're anything like the average you'll probably be under 1GB but easily over 200MB. The 2GB plan generally suits the majority of users.

7. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

You are charged for both sent and received data.
    You are using AT&T's network when you download and upload things.
    Unless when you're connected to wifi and data used thru wifi is not charged or counted against your monthly allowance.

8. thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

So is the iPhone's WiFi usage counted in the data counter of the iPhone?

9. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

No, I believe that displays just carrier data usage.

10. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can't trust the iPhone's data counter though. It's at least a day behind. Only use the at&t app or webpage.

11. macrumors 604

wordoflife

AFAIK, AT&T accounts for sent and received data.
    Your data might be prorated for this month, so be careful.

12. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Even the AT&T app is a little off cause I think they update it for the whole days of data use late at the end of the night.

13. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's a good point. You really can trust any of them if you're risking going over. Be careful once your 2GB month is over!

14. AlphaDogg, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

What do you mean it may be prorated? You mean I get charged fro each kilobyte?

Also, my parents agreed to let me keep the 2GB plan indefinitely, as long as I do chores to "earn" it... :D :D :D I am so happy with my iPhone, my 2GB plan, my parents, my Incase Slider, and my BestSkinsEver full-body skin arriving tomorrow. I will be applying the screen protector and when I grow tired of the Incase Slider, I will apply the skin that covers the back/chrome. :D :D

I got the full body skin, as it was only $2.00 more expensive than the screen protector alone, and didn't anticipate getting the Incase Slider... But I got the Incase Slider and I am happy! :D :D

15. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Depending on where you are in your billing cycle, you might not be getting your 2GB allowance. You most likely will be getting an amount a bit less than 2GB, but that depends on where you are on your billing cycle. In other words, AT&T wants to make sure you only get 2GB for 30-31 days, and no more, unless you pay for it.

Nice job with the case and data plan! :)
    I personally wouldn't even worry about the chrome because thats just inevitable; however, you are probably still very excited with your most recent purchase compared to me whos advising you not to worry about it because I've had my phone for a while lol

I ordered another Speck Candyshell. I guess it would be nice to try out the slider, but I couldn't pass up $3.50 for a new candyshell. My old candyshell is a bit messed up anyways and I figured getting a new set of colors would be nice.