What type of memory for a Mac mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dont24, Apr 28, 2005.

1. dont24 macrumors regular

I'm looking to upgrade my Mac mini with a 1GB stick. Crucial advisor list PC2700 memory, but I thought I read the minis came with PC3200? I was planning on buying from NewEgg? What 1GB stick are people using and have had good luck with?

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Even though the bus on the mini is for PC2700 RAM, Apple has been shipping PC3200 RAM w/ the minis. This could be because they are in more supply and therefore cheaper.

I'm not sure, but I remember RAM being backwards compatible to some extent. Clarification anyone?

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The Mini will use either PC2700 or PC3200 RAM, but it is quite finicky on the build of the RAM that will be compatible.

I recommend passing on PC generic RAM and buying from a seller that specifically guarantees compatibility with the Mac Mini.

If you are in the USA I recommend www.datamem.com

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

(Edit - corrected spelling from "i" to "a" in second paragraph 3rd word)

5. dont24 thread starter macrumors regular

They'll tell me the memory speed, and what? Recommend overpriced Apple memory? :) I'd rather see what other people are using.

6. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I have been following the Mac mini RAM upgrade now for some time and the best deal seems to be the gig stick at New Egg. You could get cheaper but this is quality RAM that has a lifetime warrenty and has been reviewed by countless mini users. The gig stick is only $97. :D It's what I am going to get soon when I get the mini.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=20-141-198&depa=1

7. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Crucial

I used the Crucial memory selector that was said to work for the Mac mini. While I couldn't find the exact same model number on newegg.com, I found a 1 GB Crucial stick with the same specs.

1 GB Crucial Stick on newegg.com

This is the exact same model I have in my Mac mini. I've been running it for nearly two months without issue. I paid $200 for this stick two months ago - it is now under $130. Great buy!