Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
What are the advantages of getting a glossy screen for the MBP?

Apple updated my order with the new MBP processor, bumped back my ship date one day, but I'm not too worried about that. Should I call up Apple and add the glossy display? I've never even heard of a laptop with a "glossy display."

raster

macrumors regular
May 15, 2005
West
Glossy screens on Macbook Pros

Just noticed that they now offer glossy screens on the Macbook pros.

Pros? Cons?
What's your preference?

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
johnbro23 said:
What are the advantages of getting a glossy screen for the MBP?

Apple updated my order with the new MBP processor, bumped back my ship date one day, but I'm not too worried about that. Should I call up Apple and add the glossy display? I've never even heard of a laptop with a "glossy display."

I would imagine they will just be like hte xbite displays.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
I personally don't like glossy, it has a lot of glare on it and almost acts like a mirror. A lot of the pc laptops (if not all) have glossy screens.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Tastes vary. I like them, they sometimes offer better contrast, BUT can give extra glare and hard to see outside, but then look at the 12" screen they are replacing which lets be honest was out of date a good number of years ago quality wise....

DOH! Its macbookpro you've ordered.........

My Macbook is ordered anyway :D

NeuronBasher

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
I would stick with the matte display, but it's really a personal choice. I do not like the glossy screens because of the excessive glare they seem to exhibit. Other people like them better, so it's a subjective thing.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I think matte is better than glossy because you have to stay away from any bright light source (sun, windows, bright lamps) to use the glossy screen.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I will cry if i have to get a glossy screen on a MBP in the future when i retire my powerbook.

Just will cause more headaches

macmadandproud

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Well, I am placing my order today....any more thoughts on which screen to go for?

I watch movies a lot, and the gloss really makes it better....oh, what to do????

:confused:

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
I quite like the glossy screens. Yes they do reflect everything, but the colors are so much more vibrant. I'm a bit disappointed that I already have my 17"MPB, I probably would have waited for the glossy screen if I had known.

I guess that this is the down side of bying products from such a secretive company :(

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
I changed my order to glossy FWIW. For my uses it works better. DVDs, presentations etc.

eV

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
macmadandproud said:
Seriously... or are you being sarcastic??

Nope, they really do. It used to be called iUniverse, but now its: MacUniverse!

macmadandproud said:
Well, to gloss or not, that is the question...

As folks have said, it's pretty much a personal preference thing. I've got the older matte screen on my powerbook and it's fine, but I prefer the ultra-brite screen on my wife's gateway. It's pretty reflective, but not when you're looking at it directly and it's better in sunlight than mine.

I think you'll have to go to the store and compare.

macmadandproud

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Thanks discoforce....I will do just that.

I am leaning towards the gloss though, even with the odd bit of glare, the colors just rock on them! :D

Jay

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I heard the glossy screen is basically what the iMac's have. So if you like the display on the iMac's, then get the glossy.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
A glossy screen, makes colors more vivid, has better contrast, etc. but only if you're in a dark room. If there's any light shining onto the display you'll get a reflection like a mirror.

Now please anyone tell me again you want one. Only Apple can market a bug as a feature...:rolleyes:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Diatribe said:
Only Apple can market a bug as a feature...:rolleyes:

Um...but didn't Sony start selling the glossy screens first?

And aren't people buying them?

How can it be a "bug" if some people actually prefer them?

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2004
Muhahaha glossy screens. :)
(inside joke for those who were reading my post about when apple was going to add this.) I knew something was up. just checking how many people wanted them. ;)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
milo said:
Um...but didn't Sony start selling the glossy screens first?

And aren't people buying them?

How can it be a "bug" if some people actually prefer them?

Some people also pay money to scientology... does that mean they're sane? :p

Seriously though, just by calling them x-brite, supper glossy, super everything, people are more likely to buy them. Thaat doesn't mean they're good.

Marketing makes people buy stuff they normally wouldn't.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Diatribe said:
Some people also pay money to scientology... does that mean they're sane? :p

Seriously though, just by calling them x-brite, supper glossy, super everything, people are more likely to buy them. Thaat doesn't mean they're good.

Marketing makes people buy stuff they normally wouldn't.

Marketing aside, if someone compares both side by side, and prefers the "glossy"...is there anything wrong with them making that choice? Are you really opposed to personal preference?

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
It's nice to see they give you the option on MBP's. Too bad they don't also offer that option on the MB's.

I wonder if they'll carry both screen styles in Apple Stores? I assume yes, but I wonder if one would be a custom order?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.