What UPS to get for Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benguild, Aug 22, 2006.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2003
    I tried plugging the mac pro into my current battery backup (UPS) thing and they didn't play ball... apparently this computer sucks a LOT of juice, especially on startup.

Any ideas on what I should do for uninterruptable power?
  2. knopix macrumors member

Aug 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Get a diesel generator.

just kidding :)
    I've heard very good things about APC, they're not the cheapest but they have very good reliability.
  3. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2003
  4. ironic23 macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2006
    i'm gonna take a wild guess of 750W and above. i think the power supply unit is quite a big one and i'm pretty sure you'll be using the UPS for your monitor and etc.
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The computer alone may be quite a bit, then adding in the possible LCD screens people may use and the other stuff -- it'll probably add up.

What size didn't play well a 600-750VA unit?

Have to remember a 1500VA unit is probably a 860W unit and a 1000VA around 600W. Look at the output watts.

Need somebody to post some of the current W usage on their machines ... doubtful that you want anything under 1000VA.

However, getting a larger one with AVR will set you back some money and a straight UPS is useless -- since dirty power, low and highs will cause more problems.
  6. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2003
    Apple's tech specs say the computer, at full power + CD drive spinning + drives spinning, etc. uses TWELVE FRIGGIN AMPS!!!

HOLY SH*T!!! :eek: It looks like the UPS will set me back the cost of a Macbook!!!! :mad:

Any ideas for what I'll have to set-back for this?
  7. garry4 macrumors newbie

Aug 21, 2007
    I've had problems (or at least annoyances) with APC. Can't really remember what they were but couple years ago I bought a Belkin 650W 1000 VA and used it on a dual core PC. Never had a problem. Recently I bought a MacPro with four hard drives and hooked it up to two 24" LCD monitors. In the last month we've had bunch of storm and lost power at least twice. Also had plenty of sags and brief outages. The Belkin has been flawless in keeping the machine running during the brief outages and shutting down when the power was all the way out.

8. thaJack macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2008

I have a Mac Pro (2008 model, dual Quad Core Xeon) with two internal hard drives.

I connected it to a new DLA1500 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1237271). In addition to the Mac, I also connected my Western Digital MyBook drive that I use for Time Machine and one of my two 24" LCD monitors (just the primary one on battery).

It showed one light on the load bar, but then when I tested it, it died within about 8 to 10 seconds and indicated I needed a replacement battery. Odd.

After two calls to APC they are replacing the battery, but indicated that the unit (UPS) I have is insufficient for this Mac. Ridiculous, IMO.

9. supermax217 macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2008
    How much current does your macbook pro draw?

Example: if it draw 2A then you will need....2*120 = 240Watt UPS to keep that thing running..then it will depand how long ups run on UPS size
  10. hughvane macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2008
    Banks Peninsula, New Zealand