What USB WIFI adapter works with an Imac 266 running OS 8.6?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Danger! Will, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

Jan 30, 2003
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    I recently bought my first mac to see if i could convert over. I like it but need to find a WiFi USB adapter that will work with OS 8.6. Any recomendations?
  2. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    OS8.6 won't convert anyone over. I'd be like purchasing a Win3.1 machine to see if you'd like Windows XP. I suggest buying Panther for it. It'd run a little slow, but it will be workable (provided you meet the min. amount of RAM). Hell, I don't even know if 8.6 can run a wireless card let alone a USB one.
  3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I agree with 7on. The only thing Mac OS 8.6 and OS X have in common is that they have an Apple in the top left hand corner. You need to either just take the plunge and buy a Mac, or upgrade the RAM in your iMac to at least 256MB (preferably 512MB), and install Panther. Or you could just spend a lot of time at an Apple Store or other Mac retailer ;).

Also, I don't think you'll find any wireless card that will support Mac OS 8.6.
  4. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I also agree with them and upgrade it to at least 256MB of RAM (They use SODIMMS) and put Mac OS X.3 (Panther) on it with all of the updates. You can't get a fell of Apple's products if your using 1999 technology. Panther will actually run pretty well on that iMac if you have at least 256MB of RAM. Now, its not going to be a speed demon and won't run things like iDVD, or GarageBand, but you can easily run Microsoft Office 2004 for OS X, Safari, QuickTime, etc...

When you get that up and running, try looking at the D-Link USB Wireless adapter. Its not bad though the software for it is a little shaky. I found that after I repaired the permissions after installing the software for it then OS X was much stabler. Please don't blame Apple on stupid developers who make crappy software/drivers for their own products which makes the OS unstable. Apple has no control over that. If you have stability problems then the first thing you do is repair permissions! After you install the drivers and plug it in, go to the Network System Preferences and it should eventually detect it and install the USB Wireless adapter. It should say something like en02 adapter when its detected. If you have any other problems please write back...Mac people are always willing to help!

BTW...I'd look on eBay to get that D-Link DW122 wireless adapter. Make sure its the model DW122 or else it won't work on a Mac, specifically in OS X. They usually sell for around $30 + shipping on eBay, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying it brand new.