What USB2.0 PCI card to get for the PowerMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Bear, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Bear macrumors G3

I am looking at buying a USB 2.0 or possible a combination USB2.0 + Firewire Card for my PowerMac.

The card is primarily for a USB 2.0 scanner for the faster transfer rate. I am looking at the combination card to avoid needing a firewire hub.

So far, I have found that Adaptec, IoGear, SIIG and OrangeMicro make USB2.0 cards that list as being supported in the Mac. Adaptec's website seems to indicate that their USB2.0 cards will only run at USB1.1 speeds in a Mac currently.

So having said all that, does anybody have any recommendations for which card to get, as well as opinions on whether to get just a USB2 card or USB2/Firewire combo card.

2. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Re: What USB2.0 PCI card to get for the PowerMac?

im pretty sure sonnet makes one. they have an awesome USB 2.0, firewire 400 and ata-133 card. I'm sure this will soon be a USB 2.0, firewire 800, and SATA card, so if you want to save PCI slots, sonnet is the best way to go. of cource having a 3 in one card is going to cost you at least $150. but just a USB 2 and firewire card shouldn't run you over $80.

Tyler

3. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Haha! I went to a EB Game World near me and got a USB 1.o card for $4.99, it said PC but works great in 9 and X, ha, shows what they know...

4. Bear thread starter macrumors G3

USB 1.1 cards will work fine with the Apple USB drivers. All USB cards use the same interface standards. USB 1.1 is OHCI and USB 2 uses EHCI.

I'm looking for opinions on the USB 2.0 cards which have to come with Mac OS X drivers. I'm also loking for opinions on USB 2/Firewire combo cards so I can avoid needing a firewire hub.

5. Draft macrumors 6502