What utilities will Tiger kill?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by evilernie, Apr 18, 2005.

1. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Looks like Konfabulator will be made obsolete by Tiger. Just wondering what other cool utilities might go by the wayside when Tiger comes out.

Candy Bar? Meteorologist? Shapeshifter? Clear Dock? Etc. etc.

I want to change the look of my Powerbook but I don't want to pay any shareware fees if the programs are going to die in a couple weeks.

Any ideas?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, (as I said in the Konfabulator vs Dashboard-thread) I already ditched Konfabulator, and my guess is that (unless they do something with the memory management) Konfabulator is dead on the Mac...

My replacements are Meterologist and XRG (which also replaced Menu Meters), and unless Dashboard has an option for showing (some) widgets all the time there's a good chance I'll keep those... I like them both...

I'm also running You Control Tunes just now, but I think that's dead in the water the moment I get a brand new iTunes controller with Dashboard... :D

Overall I think there will be a marked for 3rd party "gizmos" even after Tiger is released, but of course Dashboard will stur up things and make some obsolete... ;)

3. Bear macrumors G3

Yeah, if you're going to Tiger right away, don't bothering doing anything that requires shareware fees.

Wait until you get Tiger on and then customize how things look. It will save you the hassle of having to do it again after Tiger is released. And you will know for sure which shareware programs are obsolete or need updates to work with Tiger.

4. UnLogikal macrumors newbie

Overall you're right. I think you'll see Dashboard kind of replacing things for some people. In the end there'll always be other ways to do things though. Some people will like using dashboard, others won't, so there'll always be a need for other ways to accomplish something or get information on something. Personally I don't think i'd use an iTunes controller, but i could see myself using Synergy. That's just my personal preference, others may be the opposite. So I don't think Dashboard is going to ruin anything, it all depends on how you work.

I think Dashboard is the only app in Tiger that is really threatening the existance of another 3rd part application. You might say XCode 2.0 might start threatening CodeWarrior though.. eventually that'll be true though.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know if it will work or not in Tiger 10.4.0 out of the box, but just to avoid potential headaches, we all probably ought to remind each other to uninstall Sidetrack before upgrading. Ditto for any Unsanity type stuff....

6. iGary Guest

iGary

I will probably stop using Meteorologist, never used Konfabulator because it sucks.

7. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

It all depends on the way you work. I was never a fan of having things on my Desktop or in the Menu Bar, so Dashboard is perfect for me.

However, if you like to be able to see different things like the weather (etc.) with just a glance, these utilities won't go away, and for good reason too. It just depends on the type of person you are.

I'd wait until Tiger to see what you like better. It may be different on a case-by-case basis. For example, I like having my Airport and Bluetooth monitors in the menu bar, but nothing else. Again, it all depends on what's comfortable for you.
    -Chase

8. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

So will Tiger allow greater customisation of the desktop environment?

9. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Two things missing from Tiger are Internet Explorer and Stuff It Expander.

You can download them of course, but not being included in the OS may hasten their demise.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

No Stuffit Expander? I hate the thing, but there's still many software on the net that uses the .sit compression. Maybe people'll stop using .sit when Tiger comes out. Hopefully so - I don't want to install Expander unnecessarily.

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

just curious, what alternative would you recommend using? rather than stuffing (.sit)..?

12. Bear macrumors G3

As for StuffIt expander, it depends on the utility that is included with Tiger fr dealing with compressed files.

And as for Internet Exploder, haven't you heard? It's already dead on the Mac - no more developement. All Apple is doing is giving it the burial that is due for it.

13. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

The Finder has built in support for zip files.

And of course Apple has their .dmg

14. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I'm pretty sure there is a Tiger-included launcher app so that will put Quicksilver out of use for me. I'm going to keep it for the time being just in case, though.

15. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Exactly - I'm sure it will be around for a while yet. It will become one of the first things mentioned on "must have downloads" threads.

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I HATE Stuffit. Too slow. My work office used to .sit all their documents for archival onto CDs. I was totally against that idea as at the time, CDs were cheap, and I did a cost/benefit analysis of the time it takes to unstuff files, versus the cost of extra CDs and it made no sense at all to .sit our files.

Since a 700MB .sit took over an hour to unstuff, it cost our company more than if we just used more than 1 CD. I AM GLAD stuffit dies. It was never a good compression scheme to begin with. Zip is an industry standard. Good to see OSX providing native support for it.

17. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Lacero, there's something wrong with the install or something if it took an hour to unstuff 700MB, but what kind of system was it on?

Either way, Apple has the BOMBArchiveHelper in the system to unzip files, so that's no problem. Apple's solution can be faster too.
    -Chase

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

BOMArchiveHelper? Hello, gentlemen, looks like somebody set up us the BOM! :D

PS, all your search are belong to us.

EDIT: Lacero, that isn't right, though...it shouldn't take that long. Have you turned off the auto version checking thing in the stuffit prefs? That might be a small contribution to the time it's taking. A lot of people had trouble with Stuffit because of that stupid thing.

19. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Ha ha, woops :eek:. Yeah, so it's BOMArchiveHelper... *wants to hide in shame*

But I've got to wonder what "all your search are belong to us" means.
    -Chase

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, completely unnecessary All Your Base Are Belong To Us reference with Tiger overtones. :D It's the excitement...less than two weeks!

21. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

This was several years ago. Around 1997 or so. Stuffit was slow as HELL. I will never forget the experience. I tried Stuffit recently on my Dual G5, still found it way too slow. Must be too used to the speed of zip files on the PC.

22. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

More apps, not less

I suspect an explosion of new shareware apps after Tiger comes out. Tiger will give birth to more apps than it will kill. Konfabulator developers should just create a ton of useful Dashboard widgets for $$$. I bet they would make more money compared to licensed Konfabulator copies sold.

I expect to see new apps using Core Video/Image, Spotlight, more websites with Quicktime 7 support (assuming it is available for Windows). iLife '06 will be a real upgrade next year compared to iLife '05.

23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well I have no problem with the death of Stuffit, it's painfully slow on large (or may small) files...

If I got lots of files to archive and compress I use Terminal and tar them: tar czvf archivename.tgz folder and to uncompress: tar xzvf archivename.tgz and I get my folder (and/or) files back... :)

I do this regurarly when we update all our Genealogy pages and that is ~100.000 (small) seperate pages, and Stuffit takes - literally - hours to compress it... tar does it in a couple of minutes... and of course the added bonus is that usin Terminal I can (s)ftp/scp to upload the file and ssh to unpack it serverside, much faster then using e.g. Fetch, RBrowser(Lite) to transfer and unpack...

The downside with tar (if you gonna use it from Mac to Mac) is that you lose all meta info... (there might be a flag for this, but I haven't bothered to look...)

24. Stewie macrumors 6502

Stewie

Konfabulator is great. I hope tiger doesn't break it. Dashboard just doesn't have the same functionallity as Konfabulator does. I have 2 widgets that I *always* want visable. Unless Dashboard can be hacked to do that, I don't see me using it as I don't use the konspose feature now.

I don't think that Konfabulator will be made obsolete since it has functionality built in that dashboard doesn't.

25. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah I want persistent widgets...and it would be way cool to have multiple dashboards...