What version of windows works? Upgrade or non?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NJPitcher, Dec 26, 2006.

1. NJPitcher macrumors regular

Aug 26, 2006
    I want to run windows for gaming, but theres both upgrade versions (which are cheaper) and the non upgrade versions which are double the price. Do the upgrade versions work with bootcamp, even though I don't have a previously installed version of windows? And will the home edition recognize and utilize both cores in the c2d mbp? thanks.
  2. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2006
    The upgrades require that you already have an older full licence to upgrade from (which is why they are less expensive - it is an upgrade to an existing licence). You need a full version of Windows XP (Service Pack 2 version) to use bootcamp.

As I understand it, SP Home edition "should" use both cores because they are in the same CPU package.
  3. cbrain macrumors 65816

Dec 9, 2006
    North-East, UK
    Upgrade editions will not work. There are only two versions of windows ever released that will run under bootcamp. Home Edition SP2 Full and Professional SP2 Full. There are no others that will work.

Windows should use the second processor core in your machine, after all, there are PCs with dual core processors!

EDIT: Beaten by MacsAttack!
  4. SmashingPumpkin macrumors newbie

Aug 31, 2006
    This is what I used for $90: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116056

It's still a full version like the $199 boxed XP. Difference is it's an OEM version---meant for those who would build their own machine, and it's going to be locked to one HD/motherboard. No phone support, no manual, no box----but works just fine for half the price.
  5. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    While it is true that upgrade versions are not supported, I and many others have used upgrade CDs successfully, it works but requires more work than the full retail or OEM versions.

A couple of ways to skin that cat, but the easiest by far is to use an external USB CD drive for the verification step.