What video camera?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by me hate windows, Apr 30, 2002.

1. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

My parents want to get a MiniDV camera with a Firewire port. What has the most features for the price, video quality, and all the other stuff? what brand would you recommend . The budgit doesn't really matter, but they don't really want to pay for more than they need.

Thanks

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Sony

I have the PERFECT video camera for you. Man, its PERFECT! Its the Sony TRV-30. Its the best camera I have ever ever used. Here are the things it does:

Its video/broadcast quality is the JUST ABOUT the same as the Cannon GL1.

It takes 1.4 Megapixel stills, with a pop-up flash, and a memory stick, which holds about 1 HIGH QUALITY picture per megabyte, actually, a little more. It will then link to your Mac with an included USB cable, and download the CLEAR pics.

Links up to your Mac through FireWire for video editing and stuff like that.

Has Night Shot, and SUPER Night Shot, where it actually takes video in pitch black dark.

Comes with LOTS and LOTS of extra features. I own this camera, and a Cannon GL1. I would reccomend the Sony over the GL1, unless you are a hard-core video streamer/broadcaster or anything in that ball park.

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

That might be a little more than they were going for. Get a Canon ZR40. It's a great camera for a great price. MINI DV, decent resolution, image stabilization, 18x optical zoom, very comfortable, and resonable at $599. If you want to take pics to a MMC card, then get the ZR45 or ZR50. They are more expensive though, and camcorders take crappy stills. If you want a good pic to print out, get a seperate camera and camcorder. Don't listen to those who tell you their camcorders take good stills. They are usually less than a megapixel unless you spend over a grand.

-Pete

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Sony

I still think the sony would be a little nicer. It also has a really big screen for viewing, I think its either 2.5 or 3.5 inches.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Sony

but how much is it. and do they need it?

what type of stuff are they looking to do? just home video type stuff i'd assume.... so then they don't need a whole lot really. try to make sure whatever it is has some good white balance options..

6. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Re: Sony

So the bigger screen eats those batteries;)

7. resm macrumors 6502

what Video Camera

I just bought (3 weeks ago) a Canon MV 430i Camcorder and used it on my Holiday trip to Melbourne/Australia.

I am happy with the video and sound quality (yes I know...its a beginners camera) but.....

DO NEVER BUY A CAMCORDER WITH STILL PICS CAPABILITY AND USE IT FOR TAKING STILL PICS !!!!!!
    The ONLY time you should even slightly think about using it, is in an emergency if you get involved in a traffic accident and you need some pics as evidence or something like that.

The picture quality is absolute CRAP and lucky me I took almost all my still pics with my Fuji still camera.

That may of course be different if you use a semi pro or pro camcorder (I don't know)