What video card for PM G5 to use Final Cut Suite?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ouphe, Sep 6, 2005.

1. ouphe macrumors regular

Hey all.
    So I've got my Dual 2.0 G5 PM, Rev. B. with a GeForce5200 video card in it. The trouble is, I'm starting to get into video media as well as print and web media design, so I'm going to need to replace that card with something that can handle, say, the Final Cut Suite. Right now I'm mainly using Motion 2 more than anything, but I'm working on learning the whole suite, so I'll need something that can handle them all.
    Recommendations? I see names of cards tossed around all the time, but I'm never sure which I can use, how much they are, what they are good for, etc etc etc.
    Also: tips on where to buy said cards at a good price would be great, too.

Thanks in advance!

-Colin

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

if you want Motion 2 to really perform i believe the 6800 Ultra has the best benchmarks. with the X850 right behind it. and both go for about 400 i believe

3. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

Yeah, both are the same price on Apple. The difference is mostly that the 6800 has GDDR3 SDRAM whereas the X850 doesn't. The ATI would be good for graphic and media editing, and the 6800 is usually the better for gaming. I'd go with the X850 considering the way you're gonna use it.

Do you do any gaming?

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

5. Pizza Boy macrumors newbie

i have used the nvidia 6800GT on the pc side. Basically the same card with 256 Mb of on board ram. Totally rocked on gaming and video. Always been partial to Ati in the past but Nvidia has been rocking for some time now. I just ordered my G5 2.3 with the nvidia 6800 GT. The 6800 card is a huge card and will take up an xtra pci-x slot to install. Either way you won't go wrong.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

As has been stated, either the Radeon X850 XT (or the X800 XT) or 6800 Ultra would be ideal for you.

7. ouphe thread starter macrumors regular

Well! Since I don't do any gaming these days, I'll probably end up buying the X850. Is there anyplace that sells them cheaper than Apple's store, though? I'm still not certain I understand how to tell what will work with Macs and what will work with PCs (unless it states it, but some RAM doesn't, I believe..so I don't know about the video cards). I imagine I'll be looking for one that says it's the Mac version?

Thanks everybody for your help!

-Colin