What video game franchises would you like to see return?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Suture, Mar 27, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

Suture

Just as the title says. I'm curious as to what franchises everyone would like to see return, and why. No points for mentioning Duke Nukem!

Here are mine:

1. Wing Commander - I played every single one, including the dreaded Armada. I am aware there is a Wing Commander game coming out for XBLA, but I'd LOVE to see an updated version of Privateer on XBL.

2. MechWarrior - I really miss part 2 and Mercenaries. Playing online was so much fun if you actually did all the clan vs clan stuff. The atmosphere and story/history are perfect for working with. I really liked it when Activision owned the rights. After Microsoft acquired the license, I just didn't like their style as much.

3. Kid Icarus - Why did Nintendo not continue this? This was one of my most favorite 8-bit Nintendo games. This game was really difficult but I absolutely loved it.

2. macrumors G4

Elite/Frontier. That open-ended space stuff is the ideal plot for a computer game you can just dip into when you want.

Needs much better graphics this time round though.

I also wouldn't mind someone coming up with a decent replacement for Master of Orion 2.

3. macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Duke Nukem, baby!!!!!

.....couldn't resist.

I can't really think of any because all of my favorite games come in a new flavor every couple of years or so (Quake, Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor etc.).

4. macrumors regular

I wish Okami would become a franchise but they shut down the studio that made it.

5. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Fallout or Max Payne.

6. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yeah... It's too bad it was such a POS out of the gate (MoO3). Like an unfinished college project.

7. macrumors 68000

Antares

Double Dragon ...but would it be able to make a transition from 2D to 3D?

Broken Sword ...I loved the arcade and snes versions

ActRaiser ...a full modern 3D version of the original. Has a mix of strategy/world building along with action combat.

Myth ...what Mac fan doesn't remember and love this great action/real-time strategy series of games?

Chop Lifter ...now is the time for a full 3D heli game. :D

There are lots of franchises I would love to see reborn. As long as they don't end up being rubbish.

8. macrumors 65816

Kernow

Have a look at Oolite - it's a rewrite of Elite with better graphics, missions etc. I loved Elite for the BBC Micro, and this is a very good substitute for that.

9. macrumors regular

My list:

Kid Icarus

Faxanadu

Ultima - A better one than U9 would be nice. The U7 games had a great start. If only U8 and 9 had been better.... 8 had a lot of potential, especially with the dark world of Pagan and all, but it just didn't work as well as the previous games (and was super buggy).

The Magic Candle - I actually played this years after it was dead and gone, and was surprised at how cool of a game it was.

10. macrumors 68020

srobert

• Star Tropic (Loved that one)

• Blaster Master (I only played the original NES one)

• Master of Orion (MoO 3 ruined it for me)

• Star Control (Something similar to SCII)

• Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tantacle (Or anything SCUMM)

• Star Wars Tie Fighter/X-Wing (I didn't like the newer/simplified arcade style star wars piloting games)

• Shining Force (Quit it with the spin-offs, bring back the original tactical gameplay)

• Gemfire

Edit: 3 super-points to Antares for mentioning Actraiser. (I liked the first one, not the second one)

11. macrumors 68000

sam10685

well this is obvious. Super Mario. and Quake.

12. macrumors 68040

mattscott306

i agree with all my heart.

13. macrumors 6502

Marathon - With a fully updated graphics engine and some cool multiplayer modes. Has to have a good story line too. It's too bad MS bought out Bungie.

Starcraft - This is a no brainer...

14. macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.
    Star Wars Tie Fighter/X-Wing.
    Warcraft.

15. macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

yes! kid icarus and duke nukem' classics! what about commander keen?

16. macrumors 601

gloss

Seriously. I adored MoO2, but MoO3 was just trash. Not fun in the least. Very disappointing. On par with Pax Imperia 2 on my list of insanely disappointing sequels.

17. macrumors regular

I agree with this.

Also, something you might be interested in: The Myth community is still very active. Go to www.projectmagma.net to see some of the new patches and levels that have been created.

I still play Myth 2 with a bunch of friends online every few weeks. Lately, we've been playing the following:

- The Seventh God total conversion - new units, new single player campaign that allows multiplayer co-op, etc. It's very nicely done.

- WW2 total conversion - all new WW2-themed units and some unique multiplayer levels with very limited forces. It changes the tactics and strategy completely.

- Mazzarin's Demise VI - a co-op multiplayer endurance-fest with a group of new hero units against an army of undead, and some new nasty bad guys to boot (Demon Lord, dragon, lich, etc.).

The team at Project Magma has really done a great job patching and improving the game engine. There's a lot of new stuff to see, including unit inventories, units that can gain levels as they kill other units and thus get new abilities (in a somewhat RPG-ish sense), throwable units (never seen this used, but I hear it's there), etc. It's a measure of their success that the community is still active and vital, and that I still play this game about ten years after my Mac-using friend raved to me about it and convinced me to pick it up (if only just to shut him up). :)

18. macrumors regular

I gotta add this one to my list as well. I still have it for the NES, but to this day I have not finished it. :( It was long and difficult.

I never played any of the PS incarnations. I noticed one in a Gamestop and was intrigued, but didn't have a PS at the time. Anyone know if they were any good?

19. macrumors 6502

I'd love to see Oddworld return...they haven't been gone long but I loved those games and will miss them.

I think Tecmo Bowl should give Madden a run for his money :)

I'd love to see 2D Sonic come back

Mike Tyson Punch Out...just kidding

Most of the games I really loved are enduring and have a franchise...others were too good and I fear they'd just screw them up doing them again.

Paul

20. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Though not at all similar, I look forward to Mass Effect on the XBox360.
    A space RPG! <sprung>

Maybe someone, someday, somewhere, will write a decent game of this type.

21. macrumors 6502

total annihilation and starcraft would really pwn =)

22. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Mechwarrior that's more like Mechwarrior 3
    2. Homeworld
    3. Starcraft

23. Moderator emeritus

yellow

I did just get Armored Core 4.

I beta tested Homeworld 2 for the Mac and really didn't care for it too much.

24. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't count Homeworld 2. The original and Cataclysm were much better.

25. macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Star Wars Republic Commando - I think it was overlooked and it has great potential as a Rainbow Six type tactical shooter set in the SW universe.

Links - A great alternative to TigerWoods a few years ago