Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I'm trying to choose a VPN, currently I'm looking at either TunnelBear or AirVPN, both of which seem cheap and highly secure (256bit AES OpenVPN) and both of which claim not to monitor your activity and with TunnelBear being easiest to use.

But I'm having a hard time choosing from all the different services out there and it's also difficult to decide which ones are trustworthy.

So who here uses a VPN? What one do you use and would you recommend it? Can you tell me anything about TunnelBear or AirVPN that I should know?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Witopia.

But I'm having a hard time choosing from all the different services out there and it's also difficult to decide which ones are trustworthy.

Why are you worried about a VPN being "trustworthy"? If you're pirating on your VPN account you will a) be kicked off and b) the VPN provider will give your info to the RIAA (just as an example).

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009

I'll look at that one, thanks.

Why are you worried about a VPN being "trustworthy"? If you're pirating on your VPN account you will a) be kicked off and b) the VPN provider will give your info to the RIAA (just as an example).

I've read some are honeypots for the NSA and others may have weak backends which are easily accessible by malicious hackers. If I'll be directing all my internet usage through the service I need to be able to trust it.

If they keep to their word about not storing logs, they shouldn't have the information to give since they won't know which of their customers did the hypothetical pirating. I won't be using it for piracy anyway though.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
NSA can snoop all they want (hi guys!)... I'm more worried about my damn ISP.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Uhhhh... yeah, I do. Not for everything though, not yet.

I do see one of those VPN providers has a hardware VPN router that you can configure for your whole home network to use 24/7, I'm pretty intrigued by that. I had been looking at setting up a dual-homed Mac mini as such a device, but maybe I don't need to.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Uhhhh... yeah, I do. Not for everything though, not yet.

I do see one of those VPN providers has a hardware VPN router that you can configure for your whole home network to use 24/7, I'm pretty intrigued by that. I had been looking at setting up a dual-homed Mac mini as such a device, but maybe I don't need to.

Don't be fooled into paying over the odds for a special router, just buy a normal one and install DD-WRT on it and get the same functionality (as long as your VPN provider supports it, which most do).

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Yeah, I'm familiar with DD-WRT. I do like having one neck to choke though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.