What was everyone's favorite Mac OS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bosrs1, Jun 21, 2006.

?

What was everyone's favorite Mac OS?

1. System Software 6.0.x

7 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. System 7.x

20 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Mac OS 8.x

8 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Mac OS 9.x

13 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Rhapsody

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Mac OS X Server 1.0

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  7. Mac OS 10.0 Cheetah/Cyan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Mac OS 10.1 Puma

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar

9 vote(s)
    3.6%
  10. Mac OS 10.3 Panther

30 vote(s)
    12.0%
  11. Mac OS 10.4 Tiger

155 vote(s)
    62.2%
  1. bosrs1 macrumors 6502

What was everyone's favorite Mac OS from the earliest days of yore to today?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I think many here at MR can guess which way I voted.

I believe we've had a few threads just like this.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've always been interested in why you like System 7 so much. I wasn't much of a Macboi back then, so I haven't really used it. Was it particularly revolutionary? :)

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well... I like to compare what Mac OS 7 can do to what I remember Windows being able to do back then (was a PC user) and it is really quite a big difference and I find it quite fascinating, and even somewhat annoying, that I missed out on all the Macintosh fun for the first 15 years of my life.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ah, okay, thanks. That makes sense. So System 7 was your first? :)

6. bosrs1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I happen to agree. I bailed on Apple around System 7.5 and have been kicking myself for years over that stupid move. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I'm back as of 10.2.8... but I missed alot. However I still like playing with my old Mac Plus now and then and the classic 6.0.8.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It was my first time using a Mac yes, but it was in late 2000. Signed up for my first CS class sophomore year in high school, and it was all System 7.5.3 on some old 7200/120s. That was during Windows ME days. I was horrified that first day that I had to use Macs, but System 7 alone impressed me so much that I bought a new iBook within three months of that class. At the same time I bought a few older Macs on eBay, so I always had System 7 floating around, even to this day. Made it a point for myself to always have System 7 and Mac OS X work together. And the results are that site of mine.

People these days like to remember the problems of Mac OS 7, but really look what the alternative was at that time. 7.x was awesome, especially when it came to multimedia. When I see commercials flaunting the ability for some Dell to "edit home movies" I think to myself "I could have been doing that 12 years ago if I only had a Mac". I think my projects generally impress people in a nostalgic way.

Attached Files:

8. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I voted for classic. :) I don't reallly know why, but I think because it seems so revolutionary to me even now. It's the only mac OS besides tiger I've ever personallly used :)

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

10. RacerX macrumors 65832

I picked Rhapsody because I really do have a soft spot for all the versions of it... but I really tend to use the Mac OS X Server 1.x (Rhapsody 5.3-5.6) versions the most. I have two systems running Mac OS X Server 1.2 (Rhapsody 5.6) and one running Rhapsody Developer Preview 2 (Rhapsody 5.1).

I think Mac OS X v10.2 would come in second. I have four systems running Mac OS X, two running 10.2 and two running 10.3. I still spend most of my time on my PowerBook running 10.2.

After Rhapsody and Mac OS X comes Mac OS 8.6. I have three systems running 8.6 and another using 8.6 in Blue Box (on one of my Rhapsody systems). I still do a ton of things in 8.6 which supports a majority of the software I own.

This is a list of the apps I still run in Mac OS 8.6 on my PowerBook 3400c:
    3DXplorMath
    Adobe Acrobat 5.0
    Adobe Distiller 5.0
    Adobe Dimensions 1.0
    Adobe GoLive 5.0
    Adobe Illustrator 8.0
    Adobe ImageReady 2.0
    Adobe LiveMotion 1.0
    Adobe PageMaker 6.5 (and Aldus PageMaker 5.0a)
    Adobe PageMill 3.0
    Adobe Photoshop 5.5 (with Kai's Power Tools)
    Adobe Premiere 5.1
    Adobe Type Manager Deluxe 4.6
    AppleWorks 6.2.8
    Apple iTunes 1.0
    BBEdit Lite 6.0
    ClarisDraw 1.0
    Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8 LE
    Corel WordPerfect 3.5e
    CorelDraw 8 LE
    Fetch 3.0.3
    FileMaker Pro 5.0
    Fractal Design Painter 5.0.3
    Kai's PhotoSoap
    KaleidoTile
    Macromedia Flash 5.0
    Mathcad PLUS 6
    Mathematica 2.2.2
    MathReader 4.2
    MetaCreations Bryce 3D
    Microsoft Excel 98
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.1.7
    Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0.6
    Microsoft PowerPoint 98
    Microsoft Word 98 (and Microsoft Word 5.1a)
    Mozilla 1.3.1
    Netscape 7.0.2
    Netscape Communicator 4.8
    Nisus Compact 3.4
    Nisus Writer 4.1.6
    Opera 6.0.3
    Softpress Freeway 2.0.3 LE
    PiXELS 3D Studio 3.7
    QuarkXPress 4.11 (and QuarkXPress 3.32)
    QuickTime 6.0.3 (and QuickTime Pro 5)
    ResEdit
    SimpleText
    Sound Studio 2.0.7
    SoundEdit 16 2.0.7
    SoundEffects 0.9.2
    Strata VideoShop 4.0
    StrataVision 3D 4.0
    Theorist 2.0.1​
    I do keep a subset of these apps on all my installations of Mac OS 8.6, but seeing as I use this PowerBook for training, I keep pretty much everything I own installed on it so I can have access to that software. I also keep training documentation on most of those apps on that system too.

As I use the system for training, I've been thinking about putting in a larger hard drive and making a dual boot system between Mac OS 8.6 and Rhapsody 5.6 (Blue Box won't work on a PowerPC 603e, so I wouldn't be able to use 8.6 in Rhapsody) so that I could use that system for learning WebObjects. I doubt I would spend much time in Rhapsody on that system though... Rhapsody feels a little cramped on an 800x600 display.

11. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I think 0S X 10.0 was one of the last revolutionary things Apple has created, but 10.4 has been by far their most complete offering.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Of course Tiger. Why would Apple release new version of OS if it is not better than the older one? :)

13. bosrs1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish I could find a copy of Rhapsody 5.1. I'd love to poke around with it but alas it's impossible to find these days.

14. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

voted for Tiger. First exposure to the mac was with system 7.5 on my second hand powerbook 520, back then accessories for the mac was SO expensive the 520 was mostly a toy for me. Tiger for me now is so far ahead of XP I dread using my dull at work.

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Ofcourse 10.4 is the nicest, best and most usable of all those OS-ses, but I voted for Mac OS X Server 1.0
    This was the first real new OS which Apple sold, and had the basic features which later became Mac OS X 10.x.
    I was pretty new to the Mac when Server 1.0 came out, and I had played with ASIP 6.x, and Mac OS 9, which I liked, but the features Mac OS X Server 1.0 had were awesome in comparison. NetBoot was my favourite. I also liked the way in which you could "boot" Mac OS 8.6 in a seperate environment: Blue Box, True Blue Environment, Classic. So cool.

16. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

System 6. something. The first time I ever used a mac and moving from DOS it was a revalation. However I recall desparately wanting System 7.

I think this was the birth of the "need to always get the next version of OS" bug which has inhabited my brain ever since.:)

17. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Now there's some shared addiction here... :)

18. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I voted for Tiger (until Leopard appears). It's the OS I use so I could hardly claim I prefer one of the other ones! :)

19. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

20. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

My first inclination was 8.6 - it was really the best OS Apple made as far as speed is concerned - it really didn't demand much. And, until OS X, also the most stable. Buuuttttttt.... I've really really grown to love the UNIX goodness under OS X, and OS X is just compatible with practically everything, never crashes, etc., so, let's be honest, gotta go w/ the latest and greatest. Tiger. :)

21. RacerX macrumors 65832

I have my 8600 set to run Blue Box on the second display...it makes it nice when I'm working in apps in both environments.

This is what it looks like when both are running together...

[​IMG]

22. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

System 7 was my first as well. It was running on a Performa 6300CD (my first Mac). I will always have fond memories of that computer. Kind of wish I hadn't sold it when I upgraded a a PM G3.

23. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I started with System Software 5. It wasn't too great, but System 6 was a much welcome improvement, and I still have fond memories of it to this day. Of course, I like Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger", since that's what I use for day-to-day things. I liked System 6 more back then, though.

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Panther for me, but mostly because I haven't got around to installing Tiger. ;) I'm just skipping it and going straight to Leopard. :cool:

25. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

You always remember your 'first'.;) Back in 1994 I bought my first Mac, a Performa 630CD, it came with System 7.5. It was fast, had a small footprint and did not demand a lot of RAM. I was impressed with the speed of it on that '040 chip, because at work I was using a 6100/60 running the same System and it was a dog. I still fire up that old Performa and it just keeps working. I have since installed 7.6.1. Which is just as good.