What was Steve Jobs talking about?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Fredstar, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

“Apple is firing on all cylinders and we have some incredible new products in the pipeline for the coming year, starting with Mac OS X Tiger later this month.”

On the software side yes there have been some improved products in the new production suite and of course Tiger, the iPod may be updated this summer. But surely he couldn't be referring to Apple Macintosh's??!

Powermac - Extra 0.2ghz, meaning no new Powermacs for at least 6-8 months
    iMac - 512 ram, Extra 0.2ghz (perhaps).
    iBook - Maybe 512 ram.
    Powerbook - Probs won't be updated this year. (will be pityful this Christmas)

Tiger is and will be very good as we all know, but Steve Jobs' really uses the word incredible too much. The Mac line up is getting very behind again and this year we are probably gonna see no new redesign's/new lines but merely tiny updates while the rest of the computer industry bring huge leaps in performance for less prices than Apple charges with the dual-cores. I know this is not Apple's fault, but i just think Steve should rephrase what he says :p.
    I just hope Apple have something up there sleeve because once Longhorn comes out next year it will bring improvements on the bad XP and rivalling OSX...people will then not have a real reason to switch.

2. mac-er macrumors 65816

You never know what Apple R&D has up their sleeves...

I read that statment differently than you. I read as though there will be literally NEW products (hardware/software)...not just refreshes to the product line.

For example, there is still Asteroid out there. I also think the iWork suite is hardly finished.

3. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Grrrrrr, why is it everyone is saying the PB's won't be updated this year. :(

4. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Welcome to the world of Steve's RDF!
    Don't think Apple has to worry too much about Longhorn "rivalling" Tiger. Tiger is still considerably more advanced than Longhorn, imo. Plus, in about a year's time, Apple will debut 10.5!!! which should blow the socks off anyone who thinks Tiger/Longhorn is cool.

My only concern is how the launch of Longhorn will affect overall PC sales. It could steer a lot of potential Switchers to buy a PC instead. Hopefully, Apple will have some of the kinks worked out in its hardware in the next year or so.

5. cubist macrumors 68020

Besides, you can hardly expect him to come out on stage and say "We only have some mediocre products on the way."

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Maybe (if we take his words literally) he was looking ahead to new products, not merely revisions?

7. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

haha, that would be pretty funny. Nah i get why he would tell a little white lie to attract investment and impose confidence in shareholders and customers but he could just say new products or revisions or something.
    The worst thing to do is to really dissapoint customers/share holders and investors and by 'lying' to them he is creating a level of mistrust. Most of us probably know the feeling of anti-climax when Apple update things, especially over the past year or so - the Powerbook revisions for one.
    Ah well we shall see as the year pans out, unless we see like new isights/Airport Expresses/Extremes, some kind of wireless video transmitter or something, a iTunes Movie store.

8. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

So where are all these competing systems that are so advanced compared to the new PowerMacs? And how much do they cost? People on these boards continue to make these sweeping pronouncements, but I never see any specifics. When someone does offer details, it ends up being a BYO OC kit or something that has only been announced.

Anyway, I think the disappointment in Apple being expressed here is overstated, to say the least. We all want Apple to be top dog, but come on, all this gloom and doom is simply not justified. Do you honestly feel that Apple has failed as a company because they are 100 MHz (above) AMD? Do you think Apple will go down the tubes because the 970MP comes out 3 months after the DC Athlon64? Everyone gets so hung up about isolated component specs when we know it's the system as an integrated whole, hardware and software, that matters. In this regard, Apple has no peer.

10. toontra macrumors 6502

One more time:

It can be perceived as disappointing (even failing) because Jobs stood on stage in summer '03 and bragged about 3Gh machines in the comming year (04). This target is likely to be missed by a year, possibly more.

OK? That's why there is so much dissatisfaction. Lay the blame where it lies - not with those pointing out the facts but with the originator of the hype - i.e. Jobs.

11. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

This thread was not a bitch thread, just wanted to know about what these possible 'incredible' products Mr Jobs was talking about, because according to rumour and trends there are going to be no incredible or amazing or very good updates to any of the Macintosh's.
    I am dissapointed for Apple not being the top dogs in the pro business and lagging behind a bit. But i, personally, have no need for dual core Powermacs or a Powermac at this time, i am going to Uni and i think my iMac will and should last the three years i am there. Lol - wonder if there will be 3Ghz G5's by 2008 when i graduate and when i get my first real job and buy a top end Powermac...
    Steve shouldn't have named a date for the 3ghz Pmacs, i think we can all agree on that. But it is not Apple's fault, it is IBM's fault for the crappy speeds bumps and ATI's and Nvidea's for the lack of pci-express cards (i think anyway)

12. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

The problem, to me, is not so much that Apple-IBM is falling behind the Wintel crowd but that it's falling behind in its own development schedule. By any barometer, the development of the 970x has been disappointing. It's a brand new chip with promises of major ramp-up-ability. But it looks like it's already hit a wall after a 35% increase over two year. A part of the reason people are so disappointed now is that it had so much promise and hype (stirred up by Apple & IBM) when it was launched. IBM was supposedly getting the kinks worked out in 2004, but here we are a year later, and they're still not delivering. Something's seriously wrong, don't you think?