What was the dumbest thing you ever did as a kid?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue Velvet, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I was a deviant uncontrollable tomboy for a few years... saw my Dad for the first time in years a few weekends ago, and of course he had to drag up some of the stupidest things I ever did when I was young – most of them with my tearaway of a little brother.

But in retrospect, the worst one was:
    Tampering & removing signalling equipment on a rural suburban rail line which caused the disruption to services on that line for the next two days. It was written up in the local newspaper and when my little brother eventually squealed, we both had to go to the main railway stations engineering dept. with the parts that we had (unfathomably) kept and apologise... I was 11 and that virtually cured me of my errant ways.

After thinking on this for a while, I thought it would make a good (and possibly funny) thread, so...

What's the stupidest and downright most evil thing you ever did as a kid? Did you get caught? And what was the eventual outcome?
  2. raiderz182 macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2003
    north philly
    dumbest thing i ever did.... first through fourth grade , when i listened to the teachers and the rules - if someone hit you or picked on you, do not hit back, just go tell an adult. of course, the adults did ABSOLUTELY nothing. I can't believe it took me 4 years to figure that out.......
  3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Dumbest thing I used to do was ride around the neighborhood on the back of a mail truck. Fell off once, and learned my lesson. Never got cough. I was about 11.

Now I consider myself petty cautious, I think before I act.
  4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    heres my story:

two weeks ago, two of my good friends were drinkin and me and 2 others werent. we went to del taco, on the way home some guy (this was around 11PM) kept cuttin us off and tryin to race us. so at the stoplight, one of the hammered guys gets out and starts walkin towards the other guys' car. the guy says "oh wtf you gonna do" so my friend knocks him in the head, and the guy does nothing. so we are drivin later on and this guy is tailgating us, so the two hammered guys start yelling crap at him and he yells back, and one of my friends throws a steel lugnut and shatters the guys window, and eventually, we end up in a neighbordhood and the cops come and all this crap.

my parents were pissed that they had to pick me up from the cop station at 3AM, but im in no legal trouble. im still "locked up" at home tho.
  5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It will be interesting to see what people say. See also the Ever committed a crime? thread.

One day, when I was a little kid, my mom let me ride my tricycle to the neighborhood market a few blocks away to buy a popsicle. I same home with my popsicle but stupidly left the tricycle at the market! I think that was the last time I got to go to the market by myself.
  6. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    in elementary 1.grade:
    my teacher said something idiotic: (don't remember it)
    i said (in normal voice): "dumme kuh" (german: "dumb cow"..it's an insult)
    she turned around and asked: (with loud voice) "what did you say ?"
    me: (loud):"dumme kuh"

boy did her face turn red ;) (the next year i was in a different class)

the next year i bite my tongue so bad that we had to go to the hospital and it had to be fixed by a doctor.. wasn't a pleasure
  7. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Seeing as I am still a kid, I don't think I can rightfully answer this question yet ;)
  8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    A friend and I each took a handful of Pachenko (Japanese pinball type machine) balls (metal balls about 1/4" in diameter, maybe a bit bigger) and tossed them off the roof of our building. Let's just say that car windshields in the late 60s didn't have safety glass.
  9. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    I am embarrassed to recollect how utterly stupid (and dangerous) some of my childhood activites were. Case in point:

When I first moved to the States, I lived in the country outside of Madison WI, next to a major road. My house was surrounded by corn Fields. Friends and I would hide in the corn fields and chuck corn-cobs at passing cars. We would also put chopped wood (logs) in the road in the shape of a "V" so that cars would either (a) run over a log, or (b) be directed to the ditch on either side of the road. Not smart.

I also used to have involved bb gun fights with my farmer neighbor's kids in their hay-barn and/or around the farm. No eyes were put out, but many a punctured skin. good times though...
  10. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    My parents had one of those "fry daddy" things that you can use to deep fry food in vegetable oil. They were out one day, and I decided I wanted to make something in it. I poured in all the oil they had, which wasn't much, so not knowing any better, I figured I could add some water to make up for it. Water + Oil + Heat = :eek:

They never noticed...needless to say I did a really good job cleaning up!
  11. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    I'm hung between the time I ran backwards into a tree or the time I threw a rock at another neighborhood kid (I was playing and I thought it was a clump of dirt - it hit him in the head and he had to get stitches. I felt horrible.) I think it was the tree. Or was it the rock. HMM???
  12. *Y* macrumors regular

Oct 19, 2004
    The stupidest thing I ever did was sticking up a screw up my nose when I was very little. :D
  13. HydroMan macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2004
    Luton. Lutonshire.
    I'd love to elucidate but what I've done is usually considered illegal or a crime in the western hemisphere :eek: :eek: but here in old Blighty instead of BB's we just used rocks and bows 'n arrows, eyes were nearly lost!, also I remember putting pennies on the rail tracks to flatten 'em (rails are electrified :eek: ) also batting stones at trains with a tennis racket, cricket/baseball bat :eek:
    I'd like to say that I've grown up now and stopped doing those things and have taken up drinking alcohol and a whole avenue of stupid things are now open to me as an adult :D
  14. thejazzman10 Guest

hmm...lets see.....maybe the time I stuck my hand in an electric mixer(on purpose)......or the time i climbed a dead tree and fell 10 feet and broke my arm.i dont know. Well, there will be more, seeing that I am only 14 :D
  15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Yes the stupid things done as an adult can take things to a whole new level when drinking is involved.

Like running toward the sound of gunfire on fraternity row to see the damage. :eek:

Without the hours of alchohol at the frat, you run the other way.
  16. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    Went "skiing" behind a car, wearing rollerblades, hanging on to a strap attached to said car.

Crashed at 40mph, hospital, broken body parts, the whole nine yards - I think I was 16.
  17. mslifkin macrumors regular

May 14, 2004
    New Jersey
    You did that, too??? I wanted to see if I could stall the motor, so I grabbed a beater, turned it on, and watched as my hand got sucked into the mixer. Boy, did that suck! Luckily no permanent damage. Then there was the time I tried to sterilize cotton ... maybe I'll save that one for another time!

18. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    lol, that reminds me of what I and a neighborhood kid used to do. He'd tie a rope on my bike, and then tie the other end to a large child's tricycle. The rope was maybe 15-20 feet long. I'd start peddling on my bike, pulling him along, and once I got up to speed, I turn the corner sharply, causing my friend to tip the tricycle over and be dragged along the asphalt. Either he would slam into the curb, or get enough momentum to cause me to loose control of my bike and I'd go flying off it. I was maybe 12 and him 15. Keep in mind the tricycle had a top like a car, which prevented us from being injured.... not seriously anyways.

Good times. :cool: :)
  19. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada

I did that same thing. We would have a biker and a rollerblader (sometimes skateboarder) and tie two skipping ropes tied to each other and pull one another. No one ever got hurt, we did the sharp turns, etc. I don't really consider that something very stupid, it was fun. :p
  20. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Didn't Homer Simpson do the same thing once but with his tongue?
  21. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    Tehehe... I also shot my best friend with a BB gun. He ratted to his mom the little squealer, I couldn't believe it. But a few days later we were friends again.
  22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    When I was really little (4, 5 years old) I had a plastic car. My friend and I wanted to go down the stairs in it because it would be fun. We dragged it to the top. I got it, and he shoved me. We were young and didn't plan on the U shape of the stars. They went up, did a U turn, and went up more. The crash made a nice dent in the wall and freaked our parents out quite badly. But I was fine. :)

5 year olds are rather resilient...
  23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    before i can remember i have been told that i:

stuck my finger into an outlet, causing a burn and
    touched a hot iron to see if it was hot still, it was

but from what i can remember, from age five on really i did the same thing with the car and rollerblades, but instead of a car it was a bicycle

i tried to run on wet tile and slipped and split my lip open, that wasnt fun either
  24. akboarder24 macrumors member

Jan 26, 2004
    Fort Collins, Colorado

one thanksgiving (i was 5 or 6) the turkey was ready to come out of the oven, so I opened the door, reached in bare-handed, and pulled out the rack the turkey was on...woah! I didn't know stuff could get that hot, my hands were hurting for a long time.
    the next thing was probably the same year (glad I didn't kill myself of something!) but my dad was on a stationary bicycle working out, and it was an old-school one, so the gears/chain was exposed, and i stuck my hand in the rear portion. that thing sucked my hand in and twisted it out so quick i didn't even think about crying. I'm glad I still have all of my fingers on my left hand, but instead I have purdy scars across my knuckles!
  25. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2004
    London, UK
    I stuck my finger in a light socket once to see if there was any electricity in there...
    There was.