What was the hardest class youve taken in college?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheDance511, Mar 5, 2007.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

Like the title says? What is the hardest class you took in college.. I am taking statistcs and i think its the hardest class ive ever taken.. any thoughts?:cool:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Combustion Theory (textbook*). Interesting, but not easy. Made Orbital Mechanics look like cake. Or maybe that's just because I thought orbital mechanics was more interesting (textbook* by the profs from whom I took the multi-semester course).

* I used an earlier version, but the author taught the class.

3. shecky Guest

shecky

Making Meaning (graphic design class)

"This course introduces techniques of image making in relation to ways of analyzing and creating meaning in graphic and typographic messages. Aspects of image making, information design, visual narrative and semiotics will be explored in the context of practice and theory."

this was both the hardest and the best class i ever took for my BFA.

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

5. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

AS a frsshman, I took Russiona Language. Just couldn;t stay focused for some reason...:rolleyes:

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

eh, college was easy. law school is another story... :rolleyes:

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

The class I did most poorly in was Calculus 2...and not because it was all that difficult necessarily, I just didn't care about it.

I guess my hardest class would have been my Scheme programming class. I just freaking hate Scheme.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As an undergraduate, probably statistical mechanics. Although, I have mixed feelings... I took a thermodynamics class from engineering, got an A+, took a statistical mechanics class from physics, got a B+, and then took heat transfer in engineering and got another A or A+.... so I think a lot of it was a mindset gap, as it was one of the first advanced classes I took from the physics department... also I just somehow never "got" the instructor.

As a graduate student in engineering, I had another class in radiation interaction with materials that was kind of a similar story... because it was things I knew / should have been able to do and I just didn't get the problem sets half the time.

As a graduate student in neuropsychology, neuroanatomy... but that was more draining and challenging than unreasonable, and I definitely rocked the A.

9. Baron58 macrumors 6502

Organic Chemistry.

I hate it.
    I hate it.
    I hate it.
    I hate it.
    I hate it.
    I hate it.
    I hate it.
    :mad:

It's not that I don't get how stuff works, I just hate having to memorize all the mechanisms and reagents. "Given this compound and these reagents, what is the major organic product of this reaction?" "Given this starting compound and this product, propose a reasonable mechanism for this reaction..."

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

10. shecky Guest

shecky

i am so glad i went to design school.

organic chemistry. ::::: shudders ::::

11. emmi macrumors newbie

Physical Chemistry ..... didn't understand and still don't understand it now :confused:

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I took organic chemistry purely to spite my whiney pre-med friends, because I was sick of hearing them complain about it freshman year. A+, mothabitches. ;)

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

None. My first year of college has been sooo easy. It won't get much harder at all later, just more time consuming. I guess if I had to pick one, it'd be Race and Ethnicity in Film. Only because it was online, the prof. was using 5 year old lectures, and the TA was a tough grader.

14. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

It would be a tie between Environmental Plant Physiology and that Ph.D. level Plant Physiology Survey class I took my first year of grad school. Those two made everything else I ever took look easy (Including Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Environmental Soil Chemistry...).

15. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

partial differential equations

For the Final, we had to pick 4 out of 6 questions to answer and finish the test in 3 hours. It was a closed book exam.

At the 3 hour mark everyone took their books out. At 5 hours they kicked us out of the room because there was another test being taken.

I passed, but it sucked...

My math teacher was one of those guys who solved a math equation that hadn't been solved in 37 years or something to that effect.

He literally sat there and laughed at us... Not one of my fondest memories!

I promised him if I passed, I would never do math again! (Jokingly...) I've managed to keep my promise!

16. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Investment and Financing - too little maths in it for a maths student... :p

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Ditto. Can't remember if that's the textbook we used, but it was the graduate-level Combustion Theory class. Good grief that was hard.

18. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Microeconomics. It made me switch majors (which ended up being a very good move).

My evaluation of the professor was "Professor ____ clearly knows a lot about microeconomics, and is determined to keep it a secret.":D

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

ooo that one is a tough one for me. I will say it is between

DefQ. I could not make heads or tails of the 2nd 1/2 of the course and the only reason I passed much less got a B was because of a very liberal curve.

Another class I though was hard was Masonry (basically a lot of stuff about bricks and the codes behind them. It is not as easy as it sounds)

And the other class on that list right now is Concrete which I am in right now. It is just a lot of information to keep track off and how to do.

As for classes I hated and struggle with was Chem II. Hated it and barely passed it but I would say it was not my hardest class I just do not understand it. That or physic II.

20. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Linguistics

Not because the material was necessarily that difficult, but because I had a similar situation to the one Phat Elvis describes - the professor was clearly a very knowledgeable person, but she had no idea how to convey the material to an intro-level class.

In fact, now that I'm a grad student/TA, I use this professor as an example of how not to teach.

21. achie25 macrumors 6502

That's funny! :D

Mine would have been Biomechanical Analysis. Did very well in it though.

22. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Mmm... Molecular Biophysics- that was one of those classes where you really wanted to do good, because you admired the professor, only to come to terms with your limitations in the field, and stumble into a B-.
    In graduate school, I think it would have to be Medical Pharmacology- frankly I've never had a more useless course. It's like memorizing the phone book for six months straight.

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Differential Equations was rough. I think a lot of it was the way that it was taught.

Feedback and Controls was difficult as well.

I understand about the 5 hour quiz. I had one of those in History in high school and one in Chemistry in college. I think the logic behind was the same. The teacher was tired of a few students acing hour long tests in 15 minutes and so decided to try something more comprehensive and involved. In both cases after 3 or 4 hours spread across 2 days (class time for 2 days, lunch, after classes) the decided to grade only 1/2 of the test.

24. colocolo macrumors 6502

I think the hardest is usually determined by the level of commitment on that course.

I didn't go to the US definition of college per se, but from university:

Required classes:
    - Electromagnetism

Optional classes( I didn't choose very well I think :p ):
    - Mathematical Science Logic - I had found Computer Science Logic fairly easy, so I thought this course would be a breeze. After 4 or 5 classes, i realized it was so abstract, I started wondering if everybody around me who seemed to enjoy the class was crazy or not. I finished up ditching it)

- Astrophysics - I'm not the 'Telescope' kind of guy, but I thought this would be rather interesting. The teacher was sooo boring, I fell asleep in every class until I finally gave up and left it. Waste of time.

On a side note - I enjoyed Probabilities, Statistics, Stocastic Models, Calculus, Differential Equations, Microeconomics a lot. I guess it depends a lot on your teachers :)