What was this app to show free HDD space??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2fives, Dec 22, 2006.

1. 2fives macrumors regular

While looking for other things I noticed this one dudes desktop with the hard drive space listed under his HDD icons, cool I thought, but I can't for the life of me find it through searching and googling. :mad:

Anyone know what it's called or how to do it??

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

WhatSize or, my personal favourite, OmniDiskSweeper...

Edit: Never mind... when I woke up (mentally) and re-read the question I see I answered only the question in the title and not actually what you asked for... (S*** happens... :D) Do the view options thing (short cut: cmd-J) and you'll be fine...

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, that app that you showed a picture of is called Finder. If the calculate all sizes option in the view options is selected, and you have an admin-level account, you will see the free space listed under volumes. :)

EDIT: Minor correction... the correct item in view options is "Show Item Info." If you right click on the desktop, select view options, and then check this, with any account, you will see the number of items inside a folder and the size of a volume. If you're an admin, you will see free space for the volume also (not entirely clear on why standard users don't see it, but I don't think they do... this is weird considering the same information is available from get info whether or not you're an admin).

4. 2fives thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks. Being a MAC noob this stuff thats obvious to you guys still blows my mind. :rolleyes:

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Everyone here was a Mac noob at one point, so don't worry about it. ;)