What Was Your First Mac

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mechcozmo, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What was your first Mac and your experience with it?
    (Apple Is, IIs, and Lisas are fair game as well!)

My First Macintosh: That original mac...I think...at 6 years old. I remember upgrading it with my dad to 1MB of RAM. I didn't know that at the time, but I learned later that when you opened it up that is what you did to it.

Then, I remember getting a Performa something or other, and that didn't have a SCSI hard drive that was always on the fritz. And that CD drive thing was neat. I remember that this computer had some sort of user-chooser thing. (It was a hand-me-down)

Then to a Power Mac 8100 I think. Came from dad's office, and this was my first experience with OS 8. However, it soon had some trouble and a Power Computing Power Tower 2-somethingith. EveryMac.com found the one that I belive to be it-- the PowerTower 225. That computer lasted years, and was eventually upgraded to 8.6. It still runs today as a sort of 'guest' computer.

After that, Dad found an open box iMac. That is still working.

I recently saved up and bought myself a PowerBook. :D This computer is really nice...

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have to admit to being a relative newcomer to Apple. My first Mac was a Performa 575 (forgive me - I didn't know any better!). It came with 4MB on the mother board and an extra 1MB in the slot. I remember torturing myself over a RAM upgrade, and finally deciding to go for it and replace the 1MB with 16. Man, with 20MB I thought I had all the memory I'd ever need!

I quickly replaced the Performa with a 7200/120, followed by a Beige G3/266, then the 800 G4 iMac. Now I've got my 1.33 PB, and I'm set for a year or two...maybe.

3. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

hmm

power pc 6100 from montgomery ward :) The year was 1994 and it was a bright summer day, i was seven and all was well... It was also the first personal computer I ever used. Carmen Sandiego, Zoombini's, oregon trail 2 (best one btw), full throttle, even math blaster were some of the first software proggy's i used. :D

4. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

The first one that I used was the Macintosh Plus. The first one that I personally bought was my iMac G4 1Ghz.

5. AndiePandie macrumors regular

My first Mac was also a Performa PC. I bought it to take to college with me and it was the best computer! :)

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

My first mac was a Powerbook G4 1.33 12". I am having some buyers remorse, though. I wish I would've bought an iBook, saved 500 bucks, and bought a gaming PC.

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

My first Mac was THE first Mac... Okay, it wasn't the original, it was the MacPlus. Plus two external 40MB Hard drives (each the size of a VCR).

8. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

My first mac was a Lombard Powerbook G3 400 Mhz

9. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

At 17, I purchased my LC575, which is still running today, not that I use it much. It was a excellent computer for what i did with it, which was just Word Processing (the Internet was expensive OK) and a little (light gaming). It still has all of the original components, right down to the original 20 megs of ram it came with. Apple made an excellent computer in that, and a loyal Mac user in Me!

10. brap macrumors 68000

Graphite iBook SE466. Awesome machine, wish I'd have kept it and hacked around the internals instead of upgrading... just couldn't live with 800*600 :(

When I have the cash I'm buying a tangerine 'book and hacking away, I miss the pretty thing so much...

11. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

My first Mac as a family computer was my aunt's old Macintosh II in 1995 when I was eleven. The first Mac I personally owned was the day I turned eighteen, a 700 MHz iBook G3. I'm currently using a 1 GHz PowerBook 12".

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Some member of my immediate family has owned at some point -

Apple IIc - color monitor (ohhhh, ahhhhh)
    Macintosh Classic II - back to monochrome, hmmm
    Mac LC II
    Performa 6320CD (yay for Gil Amileo!) utilizing a trusty StyleWriter II and a lemon 15" Apple MultiScan CRT
    Lime 333 Mhz iMac
    733 Mhz Quicksilver PowerMac G4
    15" 867 Mhz Titanium PowerBook
    12" 900 Mhz iBook G3

and the first computer that I've purchased:
    15" 1.25 Ghz Aluminum PowerBook

Do iPods count?

If so tack on:
    2nd Gen 10GB with touch wheel
    2x 3rd Gen 10GB

13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...hard to imagine now, but for a while I had no real need for a computer....first was the LCIII back when that first came out....oh yeah!

14. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Sawtooth 400 with the upgrades the thing ran me over 8000$

15. iSpud macrumors member

An iBook G4 12"

Never going back

P.S. Just preordered the SW Trilogy DVD set on Amazon :-D

16. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

My trusty Mac Classic II, of course. ;)
    And it still boots up with that good ol' Happy Mac. :D

17. Angelus macrumors 6502

My first and current mac is a 667 TiBook which i bought two years ago before starting college. Haven't look back since.

18. bwintx macrumors regular

The original Mac, in all its 128K, one-floppy-drive, nine-inch-B&W-display glory. Bought it July 11, 1984, along with an external disk drive and an ImageWriter printer. Using that Mac -- as well as a "Mac XL" (rebadged Lisa) connected to the original Apple LaserWriter at work -- helped me get through my first of three years as a junior college teacher and, more importantly for the long term, learn enough about on-screen layout that I eventually was able to get into marketing/advertising work at the major-corporation level.

19. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

my parents bought the family a performa 630 CD

first one i owned was a barebones S900 umax clone i built up

20. dotnina macrumors 6502a

My first Mac is my current Powerbook, purchased in May. :)

Strangely, though, my 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Macs are old (pre-Wallstreet) Powerbooks that I picked up in July.

So, I went from new --> old. I guess I'm just backwards. :)

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

First Mac I used was a Classic, at school. I've emulated a few different models, ranging from the Plus (vMac) to the Quadra (Fusion, SoftMac, Basilisk). My first real Mac was an iBook G3/800.

22. Uuugggg macrumors newbie

I dunno, I was too young... it had B&W compatibility though =P
    And we had multiple computers... Bolo, WC2, Ho!, and such multiplayer games, woohoo!

23. Macophile macrumors member

A Performa 6290CD, bought in June of 1996. I thought it was great, up until I bought an iMac in 2001. People may gripe about Apple now, but if you bought a Performa in the mid-90s, back when everyone thought that the company was dying, then you can't help but think that anything they come out with now just kicks butt.

And the darn thing is still running. Not impressively or very productively, but it still boots up, running System8.6 with the memory maxed out at 64MB and its itty bitty 1GB hard drive (which I couldn't imagine ever filling up at the time).

24. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

25. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

My first Apple was a IIc. My first Mac was a IIci.