What was your first music purchase?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Foxer, Jul 1, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    This has probably been done, but I don't remember it so it may be worth revisitng. What the first CD your ever bought? And for those like me that pre-date electricity, what was the first LP you bought? Even your first 45.

These SHOULD be embarrassing, I know mine are...

Mine are:
    LP: The Empire Strikes Back Soundtrack in 1980. "Sports" by Huey Lewis and the News was my first "top 40" LP.
    45: Billy Joel "Pressure" in 1982.
    CD: Billy Joel "Glass Houses" in 1985.
    ITMS: "She's a Lady" by Tom Jones

Of course, I not counting the children's records I had as a little kid. Otherwise "Bear Necesities" from the Jungle Book would be the winner, I think.

DISCLAIMER: I assure you that these selections do not represent my current musical tastes in any way.
  2. macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    My first (and only) LP has been Genesis - The Way We Walk. The first 45 I bought has been Army Of Lovers - Crucified.

After these buys I never bought one of them again, only CDs, but I can't remember which has been the first, as I spent a lot of money on singles.

iTMS: Ask me again, when it comes to Europe...
  3. macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    The only LP's and 45 records I had were purchased by my parents, the majority was Christmas music. Never really had any favorite music, so I was satisifed with the selection on the radio.

Since getting married it's been CD's classical & movie sound tracks!
  4. macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Enya: Paint the Sky with Stars :p

I'm such a dork. I'm a 16 year old who has loved Enya since he was a little kid.

sigh :eek:.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I have LOVED this song since '92 when I first heard. My roommates from college still - 10 years later - mock me for listening to Army of Lovers.

Glad I'm not the only one.
  6. macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    1st: Queen - "live at Wembley"

2nd: U2 - "Achtung Baby"

7. Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    hey...at least it wasn't Yanni! :eek:

as for my first purchases...

Lamb - Lamb
    Less McCann - Talkin' Verve
    Peter Gabriel - Up
  8. macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2003
    Orlando, Florida
    Let's see 45 - Cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin 1974

33 album Star Wars I album
  9. macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2002
    Near Chicago, Illinois
    It think I am a little foggy here, but as I recall:

1st Cassette: Newsboys - Going Public / Not Ashamed (same time)

1st 8track: 5th Dimension - Greatest Hits (yah, I know, shut up!)

1st CD: BeeGees - Still Waters

1st LP: Beatles - White Album

1st 45: Beatles - Real Love

1st iTms: Starman - David Bowie

I think I remember correctly...
  10. macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    Well, my friends made fun out of me back in the days when I bought it. They didn't know why I liked their music (also bought the other one, but can't remember the name). Do they still make music or have made more than these two songs I know?

Interesting: I moved a month ago and some days ago one neighbour of mine was listening to this song, which reminded me of those days...
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2002
    Stilwell, Kansas
    For some reason, I didn't have a CD player until I was a freshman in collage (1987). I think they had been out for a while. I do remember buying a CD or two before I had a CD player. The first or second one was Faith by George Michael.

As for LP, I don't really remember. I was very fond of the Muppet Movie soundtrack when I was around 11. I also has some Alvin the chipmonk LPs.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2002
    First CD was Cast - All Change

first single i have no idea as i dont really buy them, and olny got a few if the snglw asnt on an album though i buy a few 7" for their cheapness and collectability, first was probably profit in peace by ocean colour scene.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    Gorgeous, WA
    First tape was Nevermind

First CD was the Jurassic Park soundtrack...I was a little behind...Funny story! (not) I was playing that CD on my Apple CD-ROM 300, which I owned before I ever had an audio CD player.

Damn, to be in the golden age of CD-ROMs again when everything was cool...I would still play Spaceship Warlock to this day....damn shockwave and the Radiskull and Devil Doll fiasco...where's Dickie and Jackie already? potato chips....potato chips.....made of tarot....with guacamole!
  14. macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    The first CD I remember buying was Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt back when it was a big hit. My sister started listening to it and is now a huge No Doubt fan. I, however, don't listen to them much.

Goes to show you...
  15. thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I think that was pretty early in the CD player game. My dad was the first to get one (as with all techie toys) and that was 1985. In 1987 they were just starting to come into their own, I believe.
  16. macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    hmmm, ok, i think this is the way it went...

1st single (vinyl) - "What's the matter you" by Joe Dolce :D
    1st single (12") - "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul :eek:
    1st album (vinyl) - "Introspective" by Pet Shop Boys

1st CD (single) - "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" by Guns n' Roses
    1st CD (Album) - "MCMXC A.D." by Enigma
  17. macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    It has been so long since I bought *any* cd I don't even remember what it was. It might have been a jazz sampler from the local radio station. Like I said its been like maybe 6 years since I bought a CD.
  18. pEZ
    macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I never bought music as a kid (i'm almost 19), so the ones I owned first were:

tape: UB40: Promises and Lies
    CD: Green Day: Dookie
    iTMS: haven't bought an album yet - first song was One I Love by Coldplay

Oh, and scem0 - Enya rocks. Sometimes I just need to sit back, take a break from rock/emo/jazz/classical and listen to stuff like that. I own Paint the Sky with Stars and A Day Without Rain - both are great. (yeah, I know the first is greatest hits. Oh well.)
  19. macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2002
    Maine, USA
    Vinyl: Star Wars, as told by R2-D2 and C3PO
    Tape: The Police "Outlandos d'Amour
    CD: Enya, "Watermark"
    iTMS: Van Morrison, "Real Real Gone"
  20. thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    that's still one of my favorite albums.
  21. Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Now, were going way back here, but I think the first LP (33) was Rush's A Farewell to Kings in 79-80, I never bought singles, but I did buy the Motorhead Golden Years EP.

1st CD was Talk Talk Colours of Spring and Peter Gabriels So I think.
  22. macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    'Nelly The Elephant' by that seminal punk band 'The Toy Dolls' B's side was 'Fisticuffs In Frederick Street'... I have no idea when it was released but I think it was early 80's... :D
  23. macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    So true.... I HATE Yanni. Well, he is really talented, but I can't stand the man....

Unfortunately my whole family is next to obsessed with him. :rolleyes: :eek:

I know, I need to find all my Enya CDs - they are in one of my 5 CD cases :p. I own 3 albums, not sure which ones they are.

24. macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2002
    wouldn't you like to know?
    first tape was Billy Joel, the one with "We Didn't Start the Fire" on it. first CD was either No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom or Jurassic Park soundtrack. At least, those are the first that I can remember having.
  25. macrumors demi-god

May 14, 2002

I don't remember actually buying any LPs/45s -- I think they were all gifts.

My first cassette purchase was probably "Pac-Man Fever." :D

First CDs (purchased all at once, same day as my player):

Tangerine Dream -- Lily on the Beach
    Paul Simon -- Graceland
    "Risky Business" Soundtrack
    "Some Kind of Wonderful" Soundtrack

(It's quite interesting to pick up these CD cases and see how heavy and well constructed they are in comparison to the lightweight, easily breakable CD cases they make today.)