What was your last year of college like?

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Mar 21, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I'll let you know when I'm 50.

I should be finished by then. :p

3. ijustin macrumors newbie

I'm in my final year of University and it's hectic but fun :)

College was crap, I hated it.

4. bentley macrumors 6502

5. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

My last year was outstanding... I started applying to companies in October of my senior year (senior year is the last year at a college, for persons outside the US). I interviewed with several companies before years end, and accepted a position the first week of January. My only requirement was to then graduate without damaging my GPA.

Nothing like going to a company for a week out of town and your professors doing everything they could to accommodate. Once I had accepted my position, the weight of the world had been lifted and I had the most fun I've ever had in school. I ended up getting a 4.0 out of 4.0 that semester. ;)

6. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Last year was Apply early for jobs, goal was to secure employment by January and then coast as a PT student for the remainder of the year.

7. iGav macrumors G3

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I've been going on and off for over twenty years. I'll finish my Masters in Teaching in about three years so I'll let you know.

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Wall to wall sex and parties I'm afraid, it was hard, dirty work, but someone had to do it... :D

This was 1985 mind, safe sex was a padded headboard.

10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Let's see...

Spent six months at Disney World, which put me back a semester. In my last two semesters I took a bunch of "fun classes" - electives and classes to fill up my schedule so I could stay full time even though I didn't need them. Spent a lot of time in a research lab I worked in trying to get enough data to get published (which I did). My last semester was a bit of a bummer. Most of my friends had already graduated. My roommate became an Residence Assistant so the dorm moved a freshman in with me. And I ended up watching the events that lead up to another freshman blowing away an RA (and friend of mine) with a shotgun in the dorm. I graduated, got an internship with a chemical company (didn't like that job very much) then went to grad school.

If I hadn't graduated that semester, I wasn't sure how much more I could have taken...

11. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

My last year of college sucked. I had a single in my dorm, had no friends. All I did was eat, sleep, go to some of my classes, and graduated. If I could do it all over again, I would've gone to a different school.

12. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Wow... you went to Purdue didn't you? Small world.

13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

my last year was fun but stressful, since i didnt find a job until after graduating.

the trick was just to relax about it all and just savor the experience while i could.

14. ijustin macrumors newbie

One of my friends is in a similar situation, he has moved in to halls of residence and doesn't like his house mates :(

.. it can be a real downer

15. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
  16. rkphoto macrumors regular

rkphoto

My last year of College was like a year long alcohol fueled holiday. Back when I finished school (1991) nobody got jobs before they graduated and most people didn't have jobs for quite some time after because it was the height of the recession that had been brought on by 12 years with Republicans in the White House. Clinton solved all that but now we're headed back in the same direction with GW and his neocon buddies in control.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm.... I was pretty much ready to move on by my last year so I wasn't thrilled, but on the other hand I did have a pretty cool lab with about a dozen people who spent the year together working on our theses.

All in all I could have done with 4 years instead of 5. The only benefit that really gives is to the people who spend their 4th year abroad which I didn't do. I wish they'd had an option to get out a year earlier if you stayed...

Lots of 3AM drinking sessions of the roof of the Arch building though. Plus we'd make up these horrible stories to tell the underclassmen about what was going to happen to them... :D

18. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

What a year.

Hmmmmm.

Well, fell in love with one of my professors that I had had for all of the previous 3 years (who, after I graduated and moved in with him, I discovered to be an abusive barstard who ruined the rest of my life, but since that was after graduation, we won't go there.) ;)

Student teaching was a real drag, which was actually a good thing, because it helps me to sympathize with my own education majors when they do their student teaching.

Worked several jobs on top of all that, so what little time I could find was spent with my prof. :)

(the barstard)

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Same here.. and remarkably similar to the previous 3 years.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i spent the first 80 units, or so, of college avoiding really getting into the course work and i was more interested in leisure time

but for the last leg of college, i studied hard and actually enjoyed most classes and assignments...i liked school so much at the end that for four years after graduation i actually took graduate classes at night which i truly enjoyed more than anything i had done in undergrad work

when i was no longer able to afford graduate school, i spent some more years taking fun classes at the community college near me (which has a third of its student body as working adults who already possess a bachelor's degree)

all in all, i almost put in another 60 units or so :)

compared to the working world, i really look fondly on my college days since each semester brought on new subjects...for any job that i have had, no matter what it is, a boring routine usually sets in...and it's not that any one day is boring, but the fact that you know, from young adulthood to retirement, that work will pretty much be the same (or seem that way)

i know so many people who got jobs they hated after school and stayed in there for 20 or 30 years

21. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Yup. Graduated December of '96. School of Ag. You?

22. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

;) Graduated May '01. School of Computer Science... :D

The ugly incident happened the year before my freshman year. People in my dorm the next year talked about the situation (I was in Shreve Hall).

23. ct77 macrumors member

Studied, studied, studied. First year was my party year. In my final year I was desperate to cram in 13 courses (would normally have taken 10) so I'd graduate at the same time as my girlfriend. ;)