What was your most impulsive buy??

Discussion in 'Community' started by rhpenguin, Sep 30, 2003.

1. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

So im sitting here comtemplating my cash problems and how far in debt i really am, and got thinking to myself, I could have so much cash if only I didnt buy this or that. One thing i think i should definatly have got was my car and done all the mods ive done to it. Now thinking about it, ive dumped about $35000 into it getting it to where it is. I spent all my money ive been saving from since i started working at age 15. It was all impulse buying. Just one day i was like hrmmm it would be nice to have this and went and got it. And now whats more insulting is i cant even drive it due to lack of funds.

So my question is to all of you, whats your biggest impulse buy?

2. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Biggest most expensive impulse buy was this Mac. On my dell one day last october and i guess i just got one too many pop-ups the next minute i was placing my order for the dual 1ghz G4. 4 grand later i couldnt believe what i had just done.

Best purchase i ever made. :)

3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The biggest impulse buy I've made was this book I bought yesterday at the bookstore. I was literally standing in line and decided to buy it on a whim. It's a pretty good book though.

4. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Woah!

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

what book was it? not wanting to be too impulsive, i like to know which books are good before i go shopping for them. ;)

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I bought a limited run gold CD of Metallica's Master of Puppets off ebay for $50 a couple of years ago. My impulse buying is usually in the form of sodas or chips from the snack machine (even then I usually scold myself for lack of impulse control).

Lethal

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

A more important question is: Did your book cost you $36000? If not, then MarkJones wins. :p

I can't speak for myself, since I'm a po' little student, but my parents went out for gardening stuff, and came home with a brand new Volvo S70 T5 SE. In Volvo "speak", they came home with a fully loaded Volvo S70 turbo.

Oooh, I've got one: An impulsive buy of mine happened when I went to the mall to buy a CD, and came home with a computer printer and my ear pierced. :cool:

8. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Well, I guess you can call me an impulse buyer. I usually hardly ever think about things for very long. I bought my Ti on an impulse.. well, i actually thought about it for a couple hours. I would have to say my biggest impulse buy was my new car. So here's the story. I had planned to car shop around for a couple of weeks and then buy. But my first day out, the car i wanted was there.. in the right color.. and the saleswoman offered a price lower than the price I would've asked for. So I was like, why the hell not? 2 hours later, i'm driving home with the car. Haven't regretted it since because I've asked around and I got one heck of a deal.

9. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

lucky. i had a tree fall on my car and it took FOREVER to find a suitable replacement. BTW - what car was it?

10. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The 2% Solution by Matthew Miller. It is a book detailing how, for an additional 2% increase in federal revenue, we could actually fix the problems with K-12 education, the 40 million people without health insurance, and the 15% or so people that live below the poverty level. It's about actually FIXING these problems instead of just TALKING about fixing them.

11. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

I was buying some textbooks off of Amazon the other day, and I threw in "Learning Cocoa with Objective C" While spending 20 bucks on a book isn't *that* impulsive, I think I should mention that I don't even have my first Mac yet ;) --I'm still working on getting the funds together, and deciding what to buy.

fraeone

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

The biggest thing I'd call an impulse buy would have to be a $350 anime cel on e-bay. It wasn't "Ooh, cool, I'll bid on that" impulse, but I sure wasn't planning on spending 1/10 of that on anything when I started browsing.

Still trying to pay off the debt for that bloody thing months later (debt in terms of the allowance my wife has me on, not as in credit card debt).

I'm happy enough, though, so what the heck.

13. gello2424 macrumors member

The worst impulsive buy I ever made was spending my college savings on a Acura NSX.
    100K plus later I has hauling ass home.

You might think this is bad but it isn't as I was lucky enough for all you people in the US of A to pay for my college!!! hahahaha

I was in the military.

Still love my car to this day! And it looks really cool when a college student pulls up in a car like that. But I am here in Southern Cali. so everyone here has a nice car.
    Kind of sucks though I have to go around the back side of my school because the speed bumps in the front are to big!!!!

Oh well I am young dumb and full of.....well you know the rest.

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

a couple of years ago, i went into a music store and bought a guitar (esp-ltd viper 301) and case for nearly 600 dollars...being that i really don't play that much anymore, it was an impulse buy...my friend has guitars he never uses and lets me borrow anything i want so i already had an instrument to play if i wanted to...when i was a player, i used to buy instruments all the time buy i recorded and played live so i actually had a use for these things...since my guitar is electric, it needs an amplifier but i have no desire to plug this thing in and disturb the neighborhood...i guess i am getting old and i really have no desire to buy anything expensive anymore as i am far more practical

a few years ago, i bought this ibook i am typing on now and while my wife and i thought of getting an imac later, i had the cash so i just bought it on a whim spending more than i had planned...and the next day, we bought a pc laptop and we made our house totally mobile and garaged the pc desktop, gave one away, and gave away the mac desktop...we never bring our machines anywhere so there was no reason to be mobile...but it just seemed so streamlined living in a place that didn't look like it had computers but yet...having all that computer power tucked away into those two portables

i used to drink premium beer but i got over that expensive habit and i never really got that far into wine tasting since many of the good bottles are so expensive that it would make drinking microbrew beers seem like a cheap hobby...and as a kid, i used to spend every last dime on coin and stamp collections and i found that even though some people make an investment out of their hobby, it has to be done on a grand scale to make it worthwhile

so now at nearly 40, the only thing i can see spending my money on, outside of basic living needs, is education...and it's the only thing i think i would take out a loan on if that became the case...i would need between 15k to 40k to get the education i would really want to finish grad school and it's the only goal i seem to have left in life...but it's certainly easier than when i was in my 20s when i wanted to achieve a ton of goals and buy a ton of things...and in a way, it's a relief to be into the simple life i have now...i simply do not have the energy i used to have:p