iPad mini What way to get movies

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Electcon, Jan 14, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I have Netflix and HBOGO and other streaming movie viewers on my iPad Mini. However, there will be times in which I would like to view movies without streaming them (no internet access).

What's the best way to get some movies to keep stored on the iPad Mini? I'd like 2-3 of them to keep on there at all times.

2. macrumors 68030

The easiest way is to purchase them through iTunes. Second easiest way is if you have a DVD, then use Handbrake to rip a file that will play on the iPad and copy it over.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

What type of file and what app will it use on the iPad?

4. macrumors 68030

Handbrake has presets for various devices, including the iPad. It will play through the standard video player on the iPad.

5. macrumors 6502

You can also use VLC Streamer for iPad by Hobbyist Software. VLC will convert the video and copy it to your ipad for you. I have dozens of movies stored on the ipad that I can watch anytime. The advantage is that you don't have to sync it with iTunes.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, great.

Second question, is it still illegal to rip DVDs? If they are encrypted, isn't it illegal to break encryption because of the DMCA? Or has that changed?

These programs you guys mentioned will take care of everything for me in that respect?

7. macrumors newbie

In relation to your initial question, the 'easiest' way to get a film is to buy it off iTunes, following that is illegal downloading which I'm sure you will want to steer clear of and then following that ripping your DVD's.

As far as I know,

I wouldn't be able to lend a hand on US legislation.

However, the UK as well as some other European countries are planning a policy which permits purchasers of content to make backups of their media for personal use, such as ripping a cd, putting dvd's on your iPad etc. Let's hope the USA and similar countries follow suit if such plans aren't already in place.

Hope this helps somewhat.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

What a stupid username.