What we need in a President.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Backtothemac, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ok, we are never going to find someone that meets all of our beliefs. I personally think we need a nobody. We need one of us. Someone that can have their beliefs, but represent the people. Remove government waste. Set the record straight.

I am going to run in 08.

Any support? :D

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I've been pushing for a Meta-Party for a long time B. If you're serious I'm more than willing to be your spin and your Sec of State. Though I'm likely to want the '12 ticket myself.

We'd have to keep in NON partisan but make it clear that we're organized. We could set up an official Meta-Ticket site with as much transparency as is possible available through it. Donor lists, staff rosters, etc.

3. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I'm in. I'll vote for you. I expect to see BTTM on the Diebold emachine, with no paper trail.

4. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I am very very serious. I am going to run in 08. I will lose big time, but it is something that I feel that I have to do. We can carve out a platform over the next couple of years, and maybe if we create enough buzz, we could get some air-time.

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

My advice, keep it honest. If you know you're going to lose at least try to push for some integrity amongst the candidates.

I would have some respect for Bush if he would just admit that strings were pulled to get him out of combat in a particularly messy war (Vietnam). I believe he should admit that there were intelligence errors that led to the invasion of Iraq and that he should have pursued the invasion in a more diplomatic way to include more of our allies. Mistakes have been made but we cannot leave until Iraq is safe and stable. We need to open reconstruction contracts to all nations (if they have a financial stake in the outcome they should be more willing to send troops to protect thier citizens who work in Iraq).

Clinton could have salvaged a lot of respect if he hadn't tried to pull the "I didn't inhale" and "meaning of is" crap.

When you screw up, fess up, apologize, and do your best to right the wrongs you have done. I'm tired of the lies, cover-ups, and "spin" that is used to try to hide every little thing that a candidate does wrong. I don't expect my candidates to be perfect or to have led perfect lives but I do expect them to be able to admit and learn from their mistakes.

You tried pot in college?, so what that was once or twice 15 years ago. You cheated on your wife? So did JFK and a lot of other politicians. You pulled strings to avoid fighting in a particularly messy war? So did thousands of others. Why did you do what you did? What did you learn from your mistakes? These are the answers I want, the answers I think that everyone deserves to hear.

It's late, time for bed.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Agreed. Remember when Bush was asked at that press conference to confess to any error he'd made as President, and was totally stumped? The GOP spin after that scary moment of total lack of presidential candor was that of course the President can't admit to an error, because the press would be all over him like a cheap suit. Really? And it's better to profess perfection, even if the evidence is so obviously to the contrary?

How could they possibly expect us to forget the experience of Bill Clinton? Had he confessed when the Monica story first broke, or even shortly afterwards, most people would have forgiven him, eventually. Certainly there'd have been no impeachment. Ah, but that big, old ego just keeps getting in the way.

What I find remarkable is that I thought Clinton had one of the biggest ego problems of recent presidents. Then George Bush comes along, professing to be a paragon of old fashioned virtues, and it turns out he's really a mountain of self-adoration. And a lot of people just avert their eyes, apparently afraid that they'll notice, and be forced to change their minds about who he really is.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It was wrong when Clinton did it, and it is wrong when Bush does it. There's defending a mistake, and then there is misleading people. Difference being, Clinton lied about his willy and Bush is killing people, so it is a little different situation. But it's still a good idea to not keep making a mistake when you know you are wrong, especially if it effects so many other people. Admit you were wrong, take responsibility, try to prove it won't happen again. Earn back our trust by making the right decisions.

Being wrong is not a crime, but continuing to mislead when it becomes a lie might as well be. We give such flack to CBS' mistake because it was slanderous (though still possibly true) while the real lying bastards go unpunished. Don't be like that.

8. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Ah... I can see it now:

On the website ( looks as if we may have to buy it from this guy... :rolleyes: www.metaparty.org ):

A whole series of links to our drug test results, criminal records, psyche-evals, polygraph tests, PI-agency bios, etc.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Quite right, being wrong is not a crime. And a good thing it is too, or we'd all be felons. What is a virtue is being able to admit error. It takes some moral courage, which not everyone has in sufficient supply. Bill Clinton showed himself to be lacking in that department, and that revelation came as a major disappointment to those of us who felt he'd displayed many other positive qualities. By that same standard, though, George Bush is utterly bankrupt. Someone who can't confess to a single mistake, no matter how trivial, is seriously overdrawn in the moral courage accounts. I'd hope those who believe Bush has other good qualities would at least admit to this much, but I'm not holding my breath.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd like to see a nobody become a somebody and become president because they are the best for the job.

Dunno if I can support a BTTM candidacy though. I like ya, but you leave a lot to be desired in a progressive candidate.

Although I'd rather have a conservative straight shooter than either of the two choices we've got today. Problem is, straight shooters are, basically by definition, unelectable. :rolleyes:

11. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

How so?
    I am pro choice, but against Partial Birth Abortion
    I am pro Gun control
    Pro Gay rights

I am against the current war on terror in ideology, but 100% for the troops that are fighting the backwards war.

I would say I am pretty progressive. Problem is, in here, I say things just to get peoples goat.
    :D

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Problem for me is, I've met two distinctly different BTTM's in here. One is the considerate thoughtful starter of this thread. The other is a screaming ranting I-hate-liberals PITA.

I don't agree with your stance on Roy Moore and the right to put religious iconography in public spaces. I believe you came down on his side in that one.

Pro-Choice I'm with you on.

Not so sure about the gun control one. What's pro-gun control anyway? Gun control runs the gamut from 'hitting your target' to 'taking away all the guns away'.

Pro-Gay rights? You mean pro-human rights?

If it came down to a choice between something that benefitted the business climate at the expense of the environment, which way do you go?

Do you still believe we need to let Israel 'take care of' the Iranians, and that we (the US) need to invade and occupy North Korea?

Actually I don't think your candidacy can go anywhere ultimately. Didn't you mention somewhere in this forum that you would raise taxes on people to pay for war efforts? That's the kiss of death to your campaign right there. Unless you can convince Arn to sanitize your National Guard... I mean MacRumors records. ;)

13. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

With respect to guns.

Ban assault rifles forever, and tell jethro that the right to bear arms doesn't mean that he can own firearms that can pierce the armour of a tank.

With reguard to Roy Moore, I supported him, because it wasn't in the courtroom. It was in the retunda of the building. That was my beef.

Business vs. Environment. It would depend. Is it something that will put 20% of buisnesses out of business costing millions upon millions of jobs? Or it is something that will just cost them some $. If it is Money, do it. Environment wins hands down.

I wasn't really condoning Israel's attacking Iran. I was pointing out that that was what they would do. They do have the right to determine their own defense. If Cuba had nuclea..... Wait, that happened already ;)

There is no perfect answer, there is no perfect candidate. All we can hope for is that by being HONEST with each other, and the American people, that we can make a difference.

As I watched the debate last night, I would have trashed both of them very well. Remember silence is agreement in debate, and I would have let the audience know that. Cheney did not answer charges by Edwards about his record in the Congress, or with Haliburton, the charges that Bremer said we never had enough troops, etc. Edwards never defended his lack of participation in the Senate, nor Kerry's flip floping, nor his own. Nor his pandering to different sides of every issue.

That are both full of it.

BTTM in 08.
    "Giving Government Back To The People"

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Don't forget, it's not just BTTM.

He'd be acting on the advice of several of us and many professionals who have been doing business in Washington for their whole lives.

A vote for BTTM is a vote for knock-down-drag-out discussions of the ramifications of policy within his own cabinet. ;)

Don't worry, we'll keep the guy on course. It's about trust after all.

BTW: How tall are you B? It sounds lame but physical presence and a good speaking voice can turn the tide.

15. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

HA, that is funny. I am 6'5 and 240lbs. Oh, and I was a champion debator in school. SO, I think I have a good speaking voice.

16. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Bravo. So we need to construct a strong set of positions on the various topics and get you some good hair and clothes. Need to get your choppers looking good too... Do you smoke?

17. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I do, but I am quiting. Trying to.

Agreed on the clothes, and teeth though. I think I am a handsome guy, but I guess I am bias on that issue.

18. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

That mainly presents a challenge at the fingertips and tooth-colour.

BTW: Your daughter will be an incredible asset. Cuter'n hell.

19. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

HAHA. I don't smoke enought to have stains I can assure you of that.