what will apple do to my mini??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aaron7e7, Mar 5, 2006.

1. aaron7e7 macrumors newbie

ok so i took my mac mini to the apple store to get it fixed... the genius said that the logic board was bad and they would need to replace it. But they didn't have one in stock so they would order one and replace it...but i had to leave it there. I forgot to back-up everything. Do you think apple will just replace the logic board and put everything back in it.. or will they just give me a new mac mini and format my hard drive?

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Either one's possible, but there's a good chance either way that all of your data will be gone whichever one they choose. I've heard that they replace the hard drive a lot of times with the logic board.

3. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Before it's too late, I would call them up or go to the store and request that you back up your data. Do it ASAP, because you never know if they will keep your stuff or not.

4. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

I couldn't agree more that you should try to get that data backed up before the repair. With that said, Apple just replaced my logic board and my data was fine.

5. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I agree with everyone about calling them and asking them to back it up. There is about a 50/50 chance that the data will be erased. I have sent my old Mac's in for repair on the logic board and sometimes the data would still be there but sometimes I would need to start from scratch.

6. aaron7e7 thread starter macrumors newbie

so what should i tell them tomorrow when i call? Should i just tell them to transfer my hard drive over or just to back up my stuff?

7. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

well one time i had i also forgot to back it up, i ended up buying an external hd and they backed it up right onto that. If you have an external hd, I would go and back it up before the open your mini up.

8. aaron7e7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have an external hard drive... but i live 3 hours away from the store. Do you think they would just put my hard drive into the new mac mini?

9. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Call them and ask.

10. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

well if they do give you a new mac mini, they could just transfer all the data from the old one to the new one. But it is more likely that they will replace the logic board on your old one.

I agree with what CoMpX said, just call them and ask them for some options.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Does it say on the repair slip you got?

I can't remember if it was on the sheet that had to be signed or the one that you got to keep, but somewhere it said "OK to erase data: yes/no" (or something like that).

12. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Still, it's a risk I wouldn't take, checkbox or no checkbox. I would not under any circumstances trust anyone else with my data if it's not backed up. I would definitely call and tell them your situation and ask for some kind of backup to be made if at all possible.

13. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

It somewhat depends on what the data you have on there is worth to you. But you never know what trouble the Tech's are going to run into. I suggest the same as everybody else here. Give them a call and ask what kind of options you have at this point.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I was told Apple would back up my data for a small fee of $10.

15. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

That's not bad at all, I would take that.

16. munckee macrumors 65816

I've had the logic board on my ibook replaced twice, both times it came back with the HD completely intact. I wouldn't worry too much, although if you can get them to back it up for a few bucks its worth it.