What will be the key age demographic for the Wii?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ddrueckhammer, Feb 10, 2007.

1. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I was looking at the Capcom forum because I wanted to see if they might be releasing anything besides Umbrella Chronicles on the Wii (Okami maybe) and found a post by, Christian Svensson, Capcom Entertainment Inc. - Sr. Director of Strategic Planning & Research...

"By and large, we don't see the Wii being home to an sizeble mature playerbase outside of some of the early adopters. We see it as being very, very broad with a family focus (especially in Japan). If there is a "core player base" on Wii, within two years, it will be largely a younger player (far younger than 360 or PS3)."

http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showthread.php?t=11919&highlight=Okami

I'm not sure if Mr. Svensson is basing this on research that Capcom has done or conjecture, but it doesn't match up with my experiences...I'm sure big N doesn't want to give up their child demographic base, but most of my friends (over 25) are interested in the Wii...What do you guys think?

It seems to me that Capcom may be confusing "mature" games with mature gamers...

2. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

God it would suck if 3rd parties take that approach again. :(

3. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

I know plenty of college age "kids" who cant get enough of the Wii. :D

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, one of my CompUSA manager's DAD has a Wii. I know a lot more adults and teens with them.

I know a lot of seniors with Wii's, some kids, and a lot of teens and young adults. Kid targetted games alone are stupid; make family-friendly games that'll appeal to hardcore gamers (a la Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros; nothing there parents would find objectional, but plenty mature gamers will find fun).

5. Scootie Puff Jr macrumors newbie

Broad Indeed!

I grew up playing video games (got my Atari 2600 in eighth grade when it was brand new, cutting edge tech :p ). I had an Xbox 360 for about a month but realized that my kids couldn't play with me or even watch me play most games on it. I returned it and got a Wii because it was the best choice for my whole family. Was a digging the heck out of Oblivion?...yes, do I regret the exchange?...not for a second. As a 37 year old parent I can now play video games with my kids and introduce them to the same fun that I had.

Just my 2 cents.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I'm 27 (since Jan :) ) and have one.

My friends down the road bought one and they are 58 & 59

and another friend just bought one for his kids 8th birthday.

I think that's fairly broad.

7. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I think thats why he said "aside from some early adopters" meaning the Wii has mature gamers now but he doesn't think that will be the case 2 years from now, at least they will not be the target audience of the Wii or its biggest user group.

If Nintendo wants to win this console war they better target older gamers, not only are they the biggest group of gamers but they also have more money and the ability to spend money on games as they want as opposed to younger gamers and obsessive soccer moms.

Nintendo can do whatever they want (their family games are great anyways) but 3rd parties stick to what you do best.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Everyone...

Still extremely hard to find around Chicago...

Lovin' mine...

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm going to say everyone...my 12 year old cousin has one, and his father(50) liked playing Red Steel.

My cousin in college watched his friends play Zelda, and he said it looked fun(he isn't they type of person I'd see play Zelda)

Its going to be similar as the DS, tons of different people have them

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

In about a year we will see what happens. I don't think the Wii will ultimatley appeal to most Gen X'rs which is the target demographic that the other 2 companies are aiming for. Sony and MS will do a better job at gettin the Gen X crowd, while Nintendo will appeal mainly to the Millenium gen, and possibly some Boomers.

I will buy Mario when its out, i like my Wii but im bored of it already. Chances are that most my gaming money will go to my PS3 with a few titles here and there on the Wii. I still think that letting people use the CC for any game (including GCN games) would be a good thing, the remote gets old after a while.

Ed

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Broad. It's not just the age demographics either. Friend of mine who has been playing a 360 since launch in 1080i now devotes all his time to the Wii. University students, low end job people, training doctors, "adults" (of all shapes n sizes) etc. All my inner circle of friends have enjoyed playing.

My sister uses the Virtual Console to play old games she missed out on and my mum is playing it for the games she played when I was young. Hitting both ends of the spectrum there.

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

But you and your friends are the millenia generation, you are basically proving everything i mentioned. The problem is that the Gen X people already have careers and are the big money spenders, Sony and MS are duking it out for that age group. I don't think beyond the launch that the Wii will satisfy the Gen X crowd. The Wii will basically be sold to milennia and a few boomers.

Baby Boomers: 1946-1964
    Generation X: 1965-1981
    Millenia Gen: 1982-Now

Ed

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I guess we'll find out in a few years

14. Scootie Puff Jr macrumors newbie

I Can't Speak for All Gen-Xer's but...

I know a lot of us Gen-Xers now having kids of our own and that we have less time and money for gaming when you have to start thinking about saving for kids college. Even though I originally bought a 360 it just wasn't doing it for me. With a Wii I can play games with my kid and have some of my favorite retro games from back when I was a kid. I would think that Wii's are perfect for Gen-X ers.

FYI just cause you have kids doesn't make you a soccor mom (or dad) :D

15. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

the wii is no where in portland. i pre ordered mine a while before launch though. now... where are the good games?

16. ninewhereman macrumors member

I see a lot of games hitting Wii that aren't targeted at anyone but the 18+ crowd; Sadness anyone? I hate how Nintendo has this stigma of being a kiddy system. It's like saying that a specific computer is for kids. Now I could see if they stuck Mickey Mouse ears on the system, boom now it is for kids. Did the cube have kiddy games? It did in droves, but there were also a ton of kids games on the PS2. There is too much speculation on it right now, but even if everyone in the world that owned a Wii was 12 years old, they still play mature rated titles. Most parents could care less. The dev companies need to stop thinking of any console as a kids console. It is a machine meant to run games, regardless of game type. I'd like to see some concrete details as to why Nintendo is considered a kids system. Maybe it is because their in house games are family friendly. God forbid we don't have any gore in a game, and it still comes out fun. This is especially interesting coming from Capcom, who at the beginning of the Cube's life gave it exclusive rights to the RE series. They made one fantastic remake a couple of crap ports, and after that I just stopped caring. I think people will be surprised with the broad age group that this system is going to bring in. Maybe Wii won't be a lot of older peoples main system, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a secondary system. My brother in law has a 360 and was saying how much better his system was than my Wii. I took it over to his house, and we played Madden on both systems. He loved the way the controls worked compared to the 360. Said it got him into the game a lot more. Now he has a Wii as a secondary system, and hasn't played Madden on his 360 since. He's 36.

17. jdechko macrumors 68040

Not just CAPCOM, but a lot of gamers too. I mean, what's the reasoning for it on the cube? Was it the studios' faults for not releasing the mature games on the console which led to the "kiddie console" image? Or was it the "kiddie console" image which caused the studios to abandon (for the most part) mature games on the GC? Did Nintendo portray this image too much in marketing and bring it upon themselves?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I don't really care if the Wii loses CAPCOM's support. They (CAPCOM) didn't really provide "mature" titles to the Gamecube other than the RE series anyway.

And again, I'll go back to something I've said before, and that is "what defines mature?" Is it mature titles that aren't supposed to be for children? Difficult puzzles? Blood, guts, etc because they're necessary, or to make it more appealing to the target demographic?

18. Agilus macrumors regular

I can't speak for most Gen-Xers either, but I'm one, as are my brother, my HS best friend, and a friend from grad school, and we each own a Wii (I have my brother to thank for procuring me a launch Wii and a free nunchuck to boot - gotta love Meijer). That's four Gen-X Wii players right there. I think this game is still way up in the air.

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I am Gen X pretty much smack dab in the middle, with a growing family we don't have money to plop down on a $500+ console, and I really don't have a desire to get one. But the Wii and Virtual console really appealed to me this generation. I love playing the games I grew up with again, and the price was at a point where the wife didn't complain too much. I would argue that Sony and MS are targeting more the Millenia Gen than X'ers just because they are starting out in the workforce and more likely to spend their disposable income vs the X'ers who are starting to have kids and become crotchety old misers like myself.

This is the key question. A lot of adults I know (especially the non-gamer market) would rather play some Tetris/Sudoku type games more than another GTA clone. Rated M does not necessarily mean "Mature".

20. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i think back in the n64 days, nintendo had a no M-rated games policy, and that in part put in the kiddie image nintendo has now.

but i think there's a culture of "there has to be violence, sex, etc to be fun". same thing in movies.

i personally hate most M-rated games, too much blood and guts for me, and alot of them i'm not interested in.

21. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'd say Capcom is wrong, and the key demographic will be the people aged 18-40, who have already shown their interest in the wii, and have a lot more disposable income that teenagers and children. (although kids get most of their money from their parents.)

22. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I define a game as mature when it appeals to more experienced players and doesn't sacrifice fun, style or substance in an attempt to clean up its imagine... I don't know if Nintendo is still this anal but making a fuss out of heck\hell is really annoying, also, they took out the neat hamster trick in MM... that was a fun thing to do and Nintendo were idiotic enough to take it out.

That means there can be E\T rated mature games. I still think Nintendo could do so much more with Mario, I mean best Mario I've ever seen (in terms of personality and charm) is Mario in Super Mario RPG and that was a Square game...

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

:confused: The "adult" folks I mentioned are in the Baby Boomer category. Infact the key groups who have spent and enjoy more of the Wii are

-Me. b. 1986
    -My 25 year old cousin who runs a pub. They have tournaments in Wii Sports, makes a fortune.
    -40 year old lecturer.
    -52 year old mother.

I'd say the largest demographic that I personally know would be the lecturers. They've gone ape for it at my uni, then again their specialities are interface design etc...

24. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

So, 2 millennia generation players, and 2 Baby Boomers. Again, you have just proven my point :) Thanks Jimmi :)

Ed

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

By your definition the 40 year old is Gen X. So 2 millenia, one boomer and one Xer.

The 25 year old may very well have been born in 1981 so that would make him an Xer too.

So one millenia, 2 Xers and one boomer.