what will happen if you need more than 250000 photos in iphoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by princealfie, Mar 15, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

what will happen to iphoto if you had more than 250000 photos to deal with? any workaround for this?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Umm, I'm not sure I know what you mean. Are you saying there is a limit to the number of pictures iPhoto can handle?

3. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

According to the apple website, they said it was like 250,000 photos that iphoto could take. I am puzzled?

4. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

i never thought of that, im guessing it wouldn't let you to add more

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Then you would need a professional digital asset management tool, not a consumer freebie photo album.

:rolleyes:

"My Volkswagen Rabbit speedometer only goes up to 140 MPH. What happens if I go faster than that?"
    "Then you have much more pressing problems to attend to than the speedometer, friend"

6. shecky Guest

shecky

if you have 250K photos, there is no way in hell you should be using iPhoto, regardless if it can handle it or not. i got rid of iphoto for iView media pro after i got about 1000 photos.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

There are two things you can do:

1) Use multiple iPhoto libraries. The limit is per library but the number of libraries is not limited. But you can't search across libraries

2) Use Aperture.

#2 is a much more reasonable solution. I was at a three hour presentation a couple days ago were Apple gave a great Aperture demo. They sad there are some Aperture users who have over a million images in there Aperture library. If you have this many images you likely also need Aperture's much better catalogging abity and it's ability to handle off-line images and do backups. $299 is not a bad price if you have over 250K image to store