what will leopard run on?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by otis123, Aug 7, 2006.

1. otis123 macrumors 6502a

May 4, 2006
    i have a ibook g4 and i was wondering if mac os 10.5 will run with all the bells and wistles?
  2. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    i heard it will even run on G3
  3. otis123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 4, 2006

i think i read that on the preview "form G3 to xeon there is only one leopard" or somthing like that i just wanted to make sure
  4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005

5. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Depends on your iBook G4 if all the bells and whistles will run. I don't think Core Animation will run if your computer is not core image capable
  6. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    can't confirm, i was citing the same source :)
  7. otis123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 4, 2006

its the latest i book G4 12" and it has a ATI radeon 9550
  8. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2006
    if it doesn't I am going to laugh.....and they said vista had high requirments :rolleyes:
  9. codo macrumors 6502

May 17, 2006
    England, United Kingdom
    Core Animation looks very heavy - Will it even work with the integrated graphics in the MacBook/Mac Mini? I mean, these are "Core Image Capable"? But still...
  10. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
    They are two different things, core animation can run off the CPU.
  11. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Should work just fine.

Those of us without graphics cards capable of all the Core Image bells and whistles should also be OK but we won't be able to see all the fancy effects - but then, that's no different to right now.

Remember, all this stuff is subject to (and probably will) change between now and the roughly 6+ months till release.

Geeze it looks cool though, I'd love to be able to start saving fro a new Mac for next year after the release but there's the whole "time to buy a car thing" going on.

I've just had to add another item to my list of "things to get for Leopard"

1GB SO-DIMM to max my RAM out at 1.25GB
    External HDD (upwards of 300GB)
    OS X "Leopard"

Actually, that's getting pretty close to a new Mac anyway. Oh hell I don't know.
  12. zoran macrumors 68020

Jun 30, 2005
    What will leopard run on?
    Well lets see, if u take in mind that apple changes almost every cpu it has on its machines as soon as new cpus appear, well id say that untill spring 2007 the Xeon would prolly have changed 2 times :D and new cpus Trio Core will have come to surface! :D :D :D :D
  13. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Leopard looks good.. can't wait to get it Spring 2007
  14. cube macrumors G4

May 10, 2004
    "From G3 to Xeon, from MacBook to Xserve, there is just one Leopard"

Does this mean it will be possible to copy the boot disk from G4 to Intel, so as not to
    have to reinstall everything? Otherwise, it sucks.
  15. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2006
    I thought that i read somewhere that Leopard will actually be capable of running on every machine that Tiger did however that the only limitation may be the graphic processor.
  16. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2004
    Johannesburg, South Africa

I would be extremely surprised if this is the case. I heard that when you install Mac OS X it copies over machine specific file, and my experience tends to agree, there might also be issues when going from a G4 (PPC) to intel, not sure if the format is exactly the same on the HDD.
  17. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Okay, so I have a question. You think Core Animation and all of those "bells and whistles" will run well on the MacBook being that it uses Integrated graphics? Thoughts would be great. :)
  18. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2006
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    as long as it will run with all the bells and whistles on my powerbook and G5 tower ( see sig for spec ) I will be happy :)

i plan on keeping both these machines until they will no longer do the tasks i need them to do. I don't plan on switching to intel just yet.
  19. _Matt macrumors 6502

Aug 24, 2005
    I think we can be confident that the current MacBook will be sufficient for Core Animation as long as there is 2 GB of ram in there.
  20. _Matt macrumors 6502

Aug 24, 2005
    I have a similar PowerBook and I don't plan on switching to Intel until '08. The PowerPC G4, if outfitted with the maximum amount of ram and properly maintained, will be fairly usable for atleast two more years.
  21. pashazade macrumors member

Mar 5, 2004
    Richmond, London, UK
  22. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Hmm, and there is no new statement. That's not so comforting anymore. :p :(
  23. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    That doesn't confirm that the G3 has been dropped, it just leave Apple's options open.

Perhaps we'll find that Apple drops the G3 because everything but a fully-decked-out B&W fails miserably, perhaps they'll leave the G3 in, but institute some new kind of cap (minimum video, perhaps.)
  24. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    Well i think it will be a minimum requirement of 600mhz g3, but you will be able to install it on 400mhz machines at a push