What will serve me best?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chief_wiggum_PI, Feb 3, 2005.

1. chief_wiggum_PI macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new here and want some advice. Are the new Powerbooks that much better than a new iBook? It seems from previous threads that the last PowerBooks weren't that much better than the IBooks. I want to spend around $1600-1800 on hardware and have a student discount. Guess that huge 17" is out? I guess I could buy a totally maxed ibook or a pretty decent small powerbook

I currently borrow a friend's ibook (G4 1ghz with 768 mb ram i think) and it is ok, but kind of slow for some things - like iMovie and iDVD. Would a new powerbook really be faster

I like to do some video work and graphics on photoshop and illustrator. I can't stand the windows world anymore. I am rebuilding my Compaq laptop on a weekly basis.

i could really use some help here!!

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

3. chief_wiggum_PI thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice and the welcome.

I looked at the 15 inch and the only problem is a wanted to save a little cash for software if possible. Is the Powerbook really a significant improvement?

Also, i heard powerbook wifi reception is not as good? is this true?

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I've heard this as well. I think it has to do with the Aluminum casing.

5. vtprinz macrumors 6502

This might not help you at all, but i have an iBook with AirPort (not Extreme) and it doesn't do as well as most PCs with picking up wireless singals. I think this is just because the antenna is built in. Using an external wireless card/antenna usually gives you a better signal. Of course, it's also annoying to have a wireless card sticking out of the laptop too...

I can only assume that anythign with airport extreme would work better...BUT there was one instance where my 14" G3iBook was right next to a rev C. 12" powerbook (with extreme), using the same wireless signal, but mine had a higher reception than the powerbook. I don't know if this was because the powerbook was 12" as opposed to my 14" or not, but its just an observation

6. Jsmit macrumors regular

Get a 12" PB with superdrive with external display (brand andstyle of your choice) and firewire hard drive (for video editing). Max out your RAM.

$1882 USD with edu discount and Apple RAM. You may be able to get the RAM cheaper elsewhere. The low-end 15" is 1799 USD, with our RAM upgrades. You can always get a display and firewire hard drive later.

You could likely get away with an iBook, but I think you would be happier with a PowerBook. With an iBook you may just keep saying to yourself, "I should have got the PowerBook." With the Powerbook you wont be saying that. (I admit I occationally say, "I wish I had FW 800, and gigabyte ethernet?" the 15" PBs have them but the 12" PBs don't. I still wouldn't trade my 12" PB for 15" PB).

Powerbook wifi recption is slightly less than an iBook, but is still completely acceptable.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

WiFi is fine for me. Never had an issue. Sure it is sometimes a bit low but its always worked.

And iLove my 12". iGot the larger hard drive that spins faster, so iDo some minor editing on that. No issues....

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Go with the PowerBook; awesome resale value, higher speed FSB, better durability, lit keyboard, etc. etc. etc.

I got the iBook because it's basically it was en excuse to get an expensive compact flash reader. :p

9. blue_monkey macrumors member

i do the exact same thing as u wanna do. some video editing and photoshop. i listen to my music and surf the web.
    and i have an ibook 1.2ghz with an 80 gig hdd! i have a 160gig external drive which is for all the editing stuff! everything runs well on my machine. i added another 256 ram though!
    just my two cents..

10. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I've been tossing up between the two as well, but i've finally decided on the 15'' PB with SD. Even thought it costs quite a bit more, its better all around - especially with the new updates. Plus it will last longer and resale will be higher. So I think its worth it, now i just need to order it! :)

btw? how long before you loose newbie status?

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    congrats on deciding to purchase mac hope u enjoy it. remember to get more ram when u can afford it. noob status is lost after a certain number of posts. :)

welcome to the forums

12. chief_wiggum_PI thread starter macrumors newbie

I am a lifelong learner and expect to be a newbie for some time!!

Thanks for all the advice everyone, it really is appreciated. I have decided to get 12in PB, superdrive, 768mb ram, 100gb harddrive, for $1657. I really don't mind the small screen size and since I like the portability of my friends Ibook, the smaller laptop will be just fine. I will sell my compaq for whatever I can get and that hopefully gives me enough money to buy the software I need and an external display if I really feel I need it. I will also buy a bigger stick of RAM in a year or so when the prices are cheaper.

Thanks to all

13. chief_wiggum_PI thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay the order is in and I was so happy about it I told other people in my office. One guy said if I get a mac everyone will think I am gay (I'm getting married to a great gal in three months-but thats besides the point). Is this true? Are macs the choosen platform of the gay community? Not that I care. Just to piss off this guy, I'd order two.

14. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

That guy is an ignorant, hateful prick. :) There are gay people who use Macs. There are gay people who use Windows. I'm Asian and I use Macs. That doesn't mean all Asians use Macs, and people won't think you're Asian when you get your Mac.

Congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding. :)

15. chief_wiggum_PI thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! i don't think he's hateful, but he does say a lot of moronic, thoughtless things. The only reason I ask the question is cause it's a stereotype I've never heard.

16. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Actually, everyone will just think you're in the creative field, regardless of the fact that you have a spreadsheet open and wearing a suit.. That's okay. I think that everyone I see using a Windows laptop must have been given it by their work, is an accountant, or just a business dick. There's no way I can fathom someone choosing to use a Windows machine. I have my moment of quiet pity and move along...

Incidentaly, does anyone else notice that even though Macs have a oft-quoted 3% marketshare, half the laptops in coffee-houses seem to be Powerbooks or iBooks?

17. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I have a couple of friends who run their own web design company and they've chosen to use all PCs. I'm sort of puzzled by their choice, but it's true that high end creative work is done on PC hardware (running Windows even) all the time. One time they were over and I was demonstrating some capability on my G5, and something quirky happened ... you know, the sort of thing that happens during a demo but not in day to day work.

Apple's marketshare is 7% for portables, and around 3% overall. There was a MacRumors story about it sometime last year. A cursory search didn't return the story but I'm sure I'm using the wrong search terms.

18. Romulan macrumors member

You'll have newbie status until you hit 30 posts, then you become a member.

19. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Cool, thanks for that bit of info...i need to start posting more :D

20. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I think you made the right choice with the 12" PB.

And I wouldn't worry about the gay comment. I'm in the IT industry and have never once heard any stereotypes of the sort! Although many Apple products are aimed at the more 'feminine' markets, eg, iPod mini, the older multicoloured iMacs, clamshell iBooks, etc.

But the PB oozes sophistication, and the appreciation of fine engineering combined with aesthetics.