What Will Void Apple Care?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pilotkid, Dec 25, 2006.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Just wondering what will void the Apple Care warranty? I thought i remember somebody telling me that I can switch out the ram and hardrive without voiding the Apple care, is that true?

2nd Question
    Which of the two 7200RPM 100GB hardrives is better(Near the middle), is the better one the more expensive one? I use my Macbook alot on battery power so that is a factor in the choice and i'm just looking to speed up my macbook, it would be a Christmas present to myself:D

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=248&type=Data+Storage&TI=3219&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

2. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

This won't necessarily void AppleCare, just make sure to put back in the original RAM or HDD if you need to send it in for repairs or an inspection.

3. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

i don't believe switching out HDD will void warranty.

Switching out RAM will.
    UNLESS it is a branded ram like Kingston. Kingston sells a couple tiers of ram. one is generic, the other is BRANDED (for about $20 more). Their branded ram doesn't void warranty. [branded ram says "apple" "toshiba" etc.
    i recall newegg selling kingston generic for about 120 and branded for about 140. i've never known anyone to have a problem with kingston ram (unlike some of the cheaper brands) and it has lifetime warranty.
    I dont know if anyone else makes ram that is warranty-friendly.

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

5. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

With your Macbook, RAM and HD switching doesn't void your warranty. However, let's say you upgraded to 2GB of ram yourself and then 6 months down the line you turn on your MB and get those dreaded beeps indicating "bad ram", Apple won't offer any technical support on that. Or if you have an HD failure with an HD you bought from somewhere else, I don't believe Apple will help you out on that either. So it's not that you'll void your warranty, it's that Apple won't work on any problems brought on by any parts you replaced.

6. southbark macrumors regular

look around you can fid the hard drives cheaper elsewhwere

7. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

So, along these lines of thinking, does it seem reasonable that I could replace the SuperDrive in my Mac with, say, a Pioneer DVR-111D Dual Layer drive that's much faster than the clunker in my G5 and as long as I swap the original drive back into the G5 before making an AppleCare call, I'd be okay?

And, (not to hijack the thread too badly), the bigger question might be, would the features of this drive be fully supported by the mac OS and its software?

8. mopppish macrumors 6502

9. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

If that ever happened couldn't I just put my old hardrive and old ram back in before i took it in for service?

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I doubt this is true... I once sent a machine back for warranty service (apparently bad ram slot) and not only did they diagnose the problem and replaced the mainboard for me, but they also found that the two ram sticks together causes issues somehow and adviced me to use only one.

The memory was from Datamem, virtually brandless in Apple's eyes.

Branded ram does not say Apple or Toshiba, only thing is they are warrantied and supported by the manufacturer warranty (of the memory) for that particular model. Trust me, Apple knows your kingston module is very different from their usual Micron/Samsung/Hynix modules. They have their own list of internally approved modules that they know are official.

11. Pct1theory macrumors member

Nope,

listen, u can't do anythng to the hdd, that voids it, but u can do whatever u want to the ram, and also don't change the apple logo, or screen, that will deff. void...

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No, swapping RAM won't void the warranty, and, contrary to the apparent urban myth that Apple won't work on systems with 3rd party RAM, I've had several systems repaired that had 3rd party RAM installed, so it's either not true or not a hard-and-fast rule.

Swapping the HD on a MacBook won't void the warranty, as mentioned, and it's even described in one of the owner's manuals.

13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

umm you can swap out the HD on a macbook

14. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

What if you got bad ram beeps with new RAM that you bought from the Apple Online Store. would Apple help you there?

15. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

yes

16. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

back from the dead i hate to make a topic asking something like this,so i will get to it

WHAT EXACTLY VOIDS APPLECARE ON A MACBOOK PRO?

17. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

Changing anything on the inside except the Hard Drive and the Ram

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

19. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Things known to void applecare:
    * Sitting on it
    * Running over it
    * Leaving it on the roof of the car and driving off
    * Sticking it in the oven and turning the oven on
    * Dropping it in the lake
    * Cooking with it

20. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

how about little dings in the casing ?
    or tiny dent in it

21. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Don't listen to the folks that say HDD and RAM will void warranty.

They are 100% WRONG!

Go have a read thru apples terms of service... it CLEARLY says HDD and RAM are user accessible and will not void... also go ask any repair tech from apple, same story.

You can do what you want with HDD and RAM. IF the ram or HDD fail, apple obviously will not replace them if they are 3rd party, you'll have to go thru the manufacturer warranty.... but if something else goes wrong they will replace.

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

If you are concerned about a small ding ... take it into Apple and have them test it.

IMO it never hurts to have it on your service record that everything is working OK. :cool:

23. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're wrong. Dead wrong, and anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong too.

Read the documentation that comes with your laptop, read the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, RAM and HD are both deemed "user serviceable".

Apple is not legally allowed to void your warranty if you switched out your HD or RAM, unless you ran your MBP over with a car in the process.

Don't make uninformed and misleading comments.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The poster you quoted was banned from this site almost 4 years ago..