What will you be doing Election night?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Oct 26, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I had this discussion with some friends of mine last night relaxing <ahem> after a night at the bars.

So I thought I'd ask what you fine forum folks will be doing on the big day (or night) and whether the results will influence your plans.

Personally, here in town on the West Coast, I will probably be watching the election coverage at a local bar and going to a party thrown by a bunch of ACT fellows (my best friend has been working for them for a few months). Obviously, the mood at said party will be considerably different depending on the Election outcome.

I believe if Kerry wins, I shall be perhaps taking some celebratory shots and living it up.

If Bush wins, I feel that I will be taking a bottle of whisky from behind the bar or from my bag and polishing it off.

If the election results are not cut-and-dry (ie contested) I am not sure how my plans will go. Frankly, I have been waiting so long for the day and it is so important to me, that I am unsure how I will react to the results, no matter what they might be.

Oh, btw, I mailed in my ballot already...so no voting booths on Tues.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You seem to be under the impression that you'll know who wins that night... remember 2000? ;)

I plan to pay attention to the results, but not to worry too much unless it's a landslide - which I don't expect. I figure Nov. 3 before we know who won at the earliest.

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Campaigning for 3 weeks straight.

No stopping me.

4. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

JSW...I can hope for a landslide can't I? I am not looking foward to a contested Election once again.

Also, here on the west coast, being three hours behind you Easterners, there might be results before I am done for the evening.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Good luck! I'm hoping for the best, fearing the worst. Should Bush win, by 2008 even the UK and Canada will hate us....

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You're gonna need an awful lot of whiskey if there's a recount. What am I saying 'if'? When there's a recount and a court challenge and a SCOTUS decision. And we all know what way any decision they make will go.

I'll probably be watching the returns at home with the dog. And drinking.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You're going to want an awful lot of whiskey if there's a recount...

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Little late for that don't you think?

I take that back. For now, most of the people in other countries don't hate the US. At least not the US citizens. Now the government, that they hate. For all those neo-cons talking about how bad the protesters make America look, it is those who oppose Bush that make others have hope for us. More pitying than hating the people of the US. Now if Bush wins re-election, even if by only a few points, I am sure we will be hated all over again. Sad when you consider all who were behind us after 9/11.

And for those who think it doesn't matter if other countries hate you, even if it's justified... that's kinda why they hate you. Think about it.

9. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

One activity, either way, with the reason depending on the outcome of the election.

That activity is drinking.

If Kerry wins, I'll be drinking to celebrate. Party at my house!

If Bush wins, I'll be wandering down the street, bottle in hand, cursing the sky above me.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'll probably be afraid to turn on the stinkin' TV for fear of what I'll find.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'll be driving 90 miles home from college to vote. So I'll spend time time with my family watching results and then drive back to college since I have a 8am class Wednesday.

12. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

After driving all my friend to the polls I will be going home, have a stiff drink, take a hot shower, say a small prayer, and go to bed. My sanity couldn't take the trickling in of the polls.
    Wednesday I'm going to take off from work and stay in bed and be dejected and jaded for the rest of the day. Probably leave my new iPod Photo that is scheduled to arrive the 3rd in the box until I can actually be happy about it. Fall of 2008 maybe?
    If you can't tell I'm pretty certain that that ***hole is going to win which just proves how many ignorant, idiots inhabit the United States.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If that man gets in again, we might not get to 2008...

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hmm wednesday i'll have a few hours on university so i guess not much party i nthe night before..but we will see ;)..today we were talking about a evening with 'turbo gin' and playing via LAN ...so anything might happen this weekend....

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'll have the TV on, but will be caught up in my everyday nightly activities - specifically trying to get two young children ready for bed. Definitely hoping for a Kerry win, but I don't think I'll stay up to watch for results that may not come until well into Tuesday.

I've got too much to do Wednesday, so hopefully I won't be distracted by waiting for results to still be coming in.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Does that come with a 'turbo tonic' and a twist of 'turbo lemon'??

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

it's a mixture of preferable of 1/3 of gin, 1/3 of sprite (or better a lime/lemon combo soda) 1/3 of lemon juice (_real juice_)
    rule of thumb : the more gin,the less sprite and more lemon juice
    normally in small glasses but when mixing on our own we prefer bigger ones ;)

we choose Sprite/etc. but originally it uses 'Schweppes Bitter Lemon' ... but schweppes isn't really cheap ... and we are poor students (it really tastes _a lot_ better with "bitter lemon" but we can live Sprite)

but i have no idea why it is called 'turbo gin' around my hometown ..a few miles further and it's completly unknown... when searching on google for "turbo gin" the 3rd entry is my post in the drunk thread talking about that marvoulous drink ;)

so far for being offtopic...but i think 'drinking' is not that far off ;)

19. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Well I'm going to vote first, then I might go door to door to get people to come out to vote. Then me and a bunch of friends are going to get together and we are going to watch the polls come in and play poker:)

20. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I'll be working all day as a precinct captain, driving, monitoring, calling, coordinating, so after 8pm I'll be at the party drinking in celebration.
    Then I will toast to W getting back on the bottle and out of the white house.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Chacun à son goût", as they say. Pity the French have no phrase for that. :)

Österreich: marvoulous
    US: marvelous
    UK: marvellous

just filling in for Babelfish ;)

22. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

If it gets to another contested recount, then the whole thing will be sham. The US President is one of the most powerful people in the world and the 2000 election was a joke. If this happens again (which looks fairly likely in all honesty), then someone needs to seriously think about the whole way the election is held. Maybe it's just propaganda we get on British TV but, I can't believe how much intimidation and backhanders there seem to be. Oh and the ads on the Bush site are so cheesy. :p "I'm George W Bush and I approve this message" :rolleyes:

The election will be going on through the night. Last time, I fell alseep while watching the coverage. I'll probably try to catch some of it this time. I hope Kerry wins for the environment's sake. :eek: Sure, we'd all love cheaper petrol, but how about our livelihood in 20 years time?

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

my french is a little bit rusty ;)

doh...guess i was too euphoric with my (ab)use of 'ou'
    well at least i have the excuse that it was 01:something and not in the afternoon...

24. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm having an Election Night/"Housewarming" party at my condo!

25. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'm going to see brian wilson's "smile" concert at the disney hall...that should counteract the election fiasco for at least one night.

i think it's gonna get ugly...especially when kerry takes florida.