Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Thought this would be an interesting thread :)

Off the top of my head:

-Being able to cut and paste files

-Being able to right click on an image and find out its resolution

-Being able to change EVERY folder to either thumbnail view, or detail view all at once... (maybe you can do this in OS X, never figured out how).

Anyone else have any?

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Doctor Q
#1: Ability to resize windows from all four corners and all four sides.

I'd also like windows to resize smoothly. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd like to be able to create a new text file from a right-click (contextual, whatever you want to call it) menu. It's a feature on Windows that I actually used with regularity, and it would be nice to have on the Mac.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Yeah, I agree with all of the above.

Most mac users yell and scream that Windows sucks... but there are still some handy interface additions that Apple should "copy."

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Beeing able to edit, cut, paste, delete files from open and save dialog-windows.

Turn of animations and shadows behind menues.

Choose what font to be the systemfont.

View pictures inn full size in Finder.

Right-click a folder and choose "send to zip" (Panther seems to have this feature)

Snappy menues!

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I'm hoping that the User Switching in Panther works like it does in Windows. At least to the point that I can leave apps running while someone else logs in. It's really annoying when I have to close my apps and log out just so my wife can check her email.

Another feature I would like to see is the ability to drag windows from anywhere along the border, not just the title bar.

Oh, and the BSoD. I really miss that. :)

I may come up with some others later.

settledown

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
pittsburgh
i dont use windows much at all but...

i had to print something for my mom-in-law on her computer. (she was having trouble)
Anyway XP said "I am printing your document", then said "Your document is done printing". I thought that was very useful.
At work, my iMac is in my office, but the office laser printer is in a common room. It would be nice if my iMac just said, "Done printing your 32 page document"
That way I wont be standing in the copy room waiting for the printer to spit it out.

I know it is trivial, but very helpful to mom-in-laws who can barely turn the computer on, let alone set up/use the printer.

p.s. this feature needs to be able to be turned off.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Apple, are you reading this? If they ever need user feedback on what to put into a new OS, this is the place to get it.

Is their an OS X "Startup" Folder to launch shortcuts upon boot? If not, that would be nice as well.

VladDracul

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2003
South Beach
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Apple, are you reading this? If they ever need user feedback on what to put into a new OS, this is the place to get it.

Is their an OS X "Startup" Folder to launch shortcuts upon boot? If not, that would be nice as well.

You can do just that by including apps in the "Login Items" section of the System Preferences applet.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by VladDracul
You can do just that by including apps in the "Login Items" section of the System Preferences applet.

Hey, thanks! :)

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
This may be petty, but this is one feature i love about windows nt/2000/xp that no other operating system has. You know how when your connected to a network and there is those network traffic lights in the system tray? Well i really like those and no other os ive used has had them. Sure i can have them when im connected to the net with a modem, but i use broadband... Think about the broadband users!!!!

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I want an add/remove programs control panel, only I want it to remove all traces of the app from my hard disk, including Application Support files and preferences files.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
What windows features would you like to see implimented in OS X?

The ability to own 95% of the market. :) Seriously.

Other then that I would like to see hibernation mode for laptops. i/PowerBooks have the ability to go to sleep however AFAIK they don't have the save to disk feature Windows has. This has been a very useful method of shutting down the computer. Its a happy medium between a full power off and a suspend.

Chealion

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I want an add/remove programs control panel, only I want it to remove all traces of the app from my hard disk, including Application Support files and preferences files.

The Add/Remove Program control only runs an uninstaller. If developers would include an uninstaller, you won't have to worry, although going to your preference folder or the Application Support folder is nowhere near as hard as editing a registry or deleting files from inside the Windows folder without messing up the system.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
programs installed through an osx installer package leave receipts of their contents and can be removed with third party apps, although i do think apple should make this a prefpane.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Most of those features are already in OS X if you look for them or you can add through 3rd party utilities. The copy/paste thing and window resizing from all corners will never happen, though, since Apple pretty much abides *strictly* to uniform standards, which the Windows way of handling cut/copy/paste/etc does not. The one thing I'd like without having to get a 3rd party fix is being able to just switch between windows and have the inactive ones automatically hide without having to force hide them. I've found that LiteSwitch X does that, but it's $15.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'd like to be able do file management from the Navigation Services dialogs just as I do in Windows.

Being able to use themes would be nice without a 3rd party add-on.

I thought the copy and paste for files works fine in Finder. There's just no cut.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Originally posted by rhpenguin
This may be petty, but this is one feature i love about windows nt/2000/xp that no other operating system has. You know how when your connected to a network and there is those network traffic lights in the system tray? Well i really like those and no other os ive used has had them. Sure i can have them when im connected to the net with a modem, but i use broadband... Think about the broadband users!!!!
Try out MenuMeters, you can have the little flickering lights for network traffic. Very cool, free app.

Phazer80s

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Above the 49th
A couple conveniences

In Save boxes, I'd like to be able to click on the name of a previously-created document and have it appear in the Save As field. This would allow overwriting the file if the name remained unmodified or creating a new file with a similar name with littte trouble. This makes it a lot easier to save multiple variants of a file (eg. developmental milestones,) especially if the name is long!*

I'd also like to be able to choose between CANCEL- and SAVE-style options in a dialog box with the keyboard arrows.

*If this isn't a Windows convention I might be remembering my days on the Amiga platform. Excuse me.

EDIT: and themes, darn it!

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
I like being able to double click on the clock in windows and being able to get to a calendar instantly... its a pain in OS X.

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Originally posted by bousozoku
[I thought the copy and paste for files works fine in Finder. There's just no cut. [/B]

Can't u cut using cmd-X ?... i'm not on my mac right now but i remember doing that once, and i think it worked...

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Re: A couple conveniences

Originally posted by Phazer80s

I'd also like to be able to choose between CANCEL- and SAVE-style options in a dialog box with the keyboard arrows.

*If this isn't a Windows convention I might be remembering my days on the Amiga platform. Excuse me.

EDIT: and themes, darn it!
Like on windows you can also on Mac (in most apps) tab your way back and forward using the "tab" key and "shift+tab". To choose the selected "space".

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Most of those features are already in OS X if you look for them or you can add through 3rd party utilities. The copy/paste thing and window resizing from all corners will never happen, though, since Apple pretty much abides *strictly* to uniform standards, which the Windows way of handling cut/copy/paste/etc does not.
Sure, with 3party utilities you can do anything. You can even make your Windows act like a Mac.

The one thing I'd like without having to get a 3rd party fix is being able to just switch between windows and have the inactive ones automatically hide without having to force hide them. I've found that LiteSwitch X does that, but it's $15.
Just hold down "alt" when you press the new window you want in front. The other window will be auto-hidden then. Just like in OS9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.