What Wireless Router Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ArmouredGuitar, Dec 19, 2004.

1. ArmouredGuitar thread starter macrumors member

I just got highspeed, but its all wireless in my area.

I need to make a wireless network for all my computers,

I am using highspeed in a pc and not a mac.

Can the airport extreme work for pc? or any apple wireless work for a pc?

If not what wireless router should I buy? it need to travel at least 900FT.

~~~~~~Thanks~~~~~

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I took advantage of the Apple sale on the Airport Express on Black Friday. It replaced a flakey wireless router I had. Bought three of them. One is the base station, and the other two extend the range. Along with that the two that extend the range also take and act as iTunes wireless playback on the their respective stereos.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You could get a Linksys WRS54G and then use Airport Expresses to extend the range using WDS, too.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

To question #1: the answer is yes.

To question #2: You are NOT going to get within even an order of magnitude of that distance with a standard wireless access point! That's going to require the addition of some pretty good antennas, probably on the computer as well as the AP. Those antennas aren't cheap. You can certainly do WDS to extend your network, as the other posters mention - but you're going to need a lot of extenders, and your network throughput is going to go WAY down (each extension basically cuts the throughput in half).

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I did not know you could extend the signal, with something other then the Extreme. OH well i bought the Airport Express today anyways...

6. RobbyRoo macrumors newbie

RobbyRoo

After much deliberation, I just bought a Belkin router. From what I've heard, Linksys can't really service mac. The Apple rep at Comp USA showed me the Belkin.

It was $50. And it had a $35 rebate! So for $15 I'm wireless. And it seems to be working. So I'd recommend it. When I had questions, Belkin's customer service seemed knowledgeable about Macs.

For $15 you can't go wrong.

[​IMG]

7. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

i 2nd the belkin router
    i got the wireless G model or superspeed? hyper speed?

anyways i get 128 MBS of wireless speed...within my house of course...now my neighbors get my cable as well ..

= (

i think it even has gigabit ethernet...

8. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

The superspeed you are talking about only works with windows *i think*

But you can use a password to keep your neighbors from using it you know...

9. rstroud macrumors regular

There's a D-Link wireless router in I think the Best Buy ad today, 19.99 after rebate. I can't find it right now, but I have the DI-524 and it's got great range and is super fast. I love it!

10. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Does it work on PC and Mac? I've got 3, (1 Mac G5, 1 PC Desktop, and 1 PC Laptop), that I need to hook up to one router from one DSL connection. Any suggestions?

11. rstroud macrumors regular

You betcha, it works with both my mac, pc, and my roommate's pc!

12. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I would go for a linksys. ive had my 'b' router for just over a year now, and it works beautifully

my g/f's family has a less than a year old Belkin 802.11g router, and my powerbook can never connect to it. It see's it, but never connects. We tried everything, including powercycling the router, and it still doesnt work. While im able to connect to any linksys router I run into (all my other friends have linksys routers).

13. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

What is needed for the PC or Mac in addition to the router in order to hook all three up. I noticed that D-Link has the new DI-624 which is 15% faster? At 80 bucks..sounds good to me. I'm assuming that I'm going to have to put cards in all of the computers..Mac and PC to use the router?

Haven't networked before so any advice is appreciated.

14. rstroud macrumors regular

Just a wireless card or built in capability. The pcs will get the speed boost, but the macs will not. I'd get the 524 if you're just working with a mac.