What Would Arn Do (or you)?

Discussion in 'Community' started by al256, Nov 27, 2002.

1. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I've just been wondering what would Arn do (or yourself) if he (or you) were sent a Mac Warehouse catalog (or any other Mac catalog of your choice) from 4 years in the future? Arn's response is of most interest to me, since he runs a mac rumor site. Just try to ignore the whole time paradox argument thingy.

Myself I'd just keep to myself mostly show one friend and drop some hints to Arn ;) and mosr.com. I'd just try to enjoy the 4 years. I would wonder how many products would spring up and die; like the cube which had only 1 year of production.

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I would give it to crazy apple rumors, and see what they would
    do with it. I love CARs :D they are funny. That would be on of
    the copied versions though, but I would of course have the
    original professionaly laminated, sealed, and placed in a container
    that I could mount on my wall and show people. After I read every
    singe word on every single page of it of course. ;)

3. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Back to the Future...

Well - and that's a mighty deep topic - I can't speak for Arn, but if it was me, I'd scour the pages of my future catalog from four years into the future for hints on who will win any of the next four world seriers, superbowls, or even local badminton tournies. Then I would bet everything I have on the winner.

With my winnings, I would then build the largest Apple Cluster in existence and use it to predict the next four years weather, thus making even more money off the future.

But reading all this you might see my abuse of future knowledge and say "Surely you're kidding???" To which I would reply, "No, and don't call me Shirley".

Or, I could just watch the MacRumors site like a hawk and learn in advance about all the cool stuff Apple Computer Inc. has in the works.

:cool:

4. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Oh Yeah, don't forget. We have to whine about how much they cost. And why are the processors so slow?:D

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, that's a bit off the wall idea, but you might be able to sell it to Apple, if you could prove it came from the future. And you wouldn't be under any NDA, so it would be free game. I'd try to get some money if I could, failing that submit some info - but since its just a catalog, there really wouldn't be any good facts except the general specs.

But the enclosures would be different (most likely) and I could model it in 3D and show it as my version of a future PowerMac - but then if Apple design saw it would it affect their design?

Ah the paradox....;)

D

6. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

since i usually look at macwarehouse catalogs for atleast an hr or so, i'll probably spend a day or 2 looking at the new products :p

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, one thing that might be a good money maker would be to see what the new products/companies would be in 4 years and which ones weren't represented. There would be all sorts of subtle bits of info in a catalog besides just the state of the Apple machines.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah, you could get really rich off of that catalog... Thoughts
    running through my head. I don't see how you could figure
    out who could win a batmitton tourney from a mac warehouse,
    or any other magazine like that for that matter, but you would
    know who the bi technology companies are, and you would
    definitely be able to make some major money,

9. al256 thread starter macrumors 6502a

al256

Geez, greedy greedy people! Isn't the joy of knowing the future of all Apple products enough? I guess I'd try to make enough money to afford a new computer. I'd be content just looking at the whole catalog. Oh well, I guess some people need $$$.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I would be content just looking through
    the catalog/memorizing it :p, but why not
    make some cash?

I am a greedy person though.
    Dang, no wicked smilie. :rolleyes: .

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its not about greed, its more about practicality - what would such a thing be good for? Sure it would be cool to look over, but what it would really represent is something of a limited window, highly filtered into the future. Capitalizing on it is just an option.

D

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It would give me great joy! I just wonder if I would be thinking back to today. Will we still be unhappy with the latest release?

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yes.

:D

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Forget knowing about the future Macs...

Can I trade this magazine for a future copy of the Forbes list on the 400 Best Big Public companies?

Of course the Forbes 200 Best Small Public companies wouldn't be too bad either.

15. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: What Would Arn Do (or you)?

Hmm... this concept sounds a lot like Biff in Back To The Future... :D

I'm just thankful such a thing doesn't exist. If I got ahold of a catalog from 4 years into the future you can bet I'd wait! I've already waited 3 years though, so I don't think I could handle it... :p

16. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I'd wait 3 years and sell the info to Macaddict/Macworld or something.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

as long as this is hypothetical

I would try to order something from it.

18. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

You all forgot the biggest paradox of all. A catalog is obsolete the moment it arrives. The one I got is still listing the old laptops, so this catalog from four years in the future would be at best indicative of only three and a half years forward!
    Oh and I wouldn't worry about the catalog itself, since you'd be receiving two or three more every week.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, but if you were getting one from the future it would still be showing things to come - regardless of whether it was 3 1/2 years for 4 - it wouldn't much resemble things we have today.

D