What would be a good camcorder for my brother?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by imacintel, Nov 13, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

Well, I am shopping for a nice sports camera for my brother for Christmas. My preferred brands are Samsung, Sony, and JVC. it should be under $550 CAD. He likes to bike and now that he has a Mac it will be good for video editing. He is a mountain biker, and would wish to take high quality movies.

Thanx in advance!

2. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

3. falcon1 macrumors regular

falcon1

Sony has good camcorders. The one that my friend got has night vision on it and its was I think around $280US. Look into Sony and Canon is a good brand also.

4. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, Canon is also a preferred brand. My dad(who may also use it), for some reason is against everything Canon. But I may consider it still.

5. falcon1 macrumors regular

falcon1

I've never used one but i've heard that Panasonic is getting better and better with their camera products. If you find one with a good deal get Nikon, thats all my grandfather uses and he travels and takes picture for a magazine.

6. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, we had a shiny new Nikon but my dad lost it. I have been looking at a Panasonic DVD camcorder.

7. falcon1 macrumors regular

falcon1

Panasonic is a good brand and I have alot of respect for it. Do you want a dvd camcorder or a digital?

8. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Go for a Sony MiniDV handycam, I have 3 and they serve me great through dropping and throwing and kicking....
    Really amazing quality, every other brand just feels cheap after owning so many sonys... :D

9. falcon1 macrumors regular

falcon1

I can understand dropping but kicking and throwing, what in the world do you film? Either your hardcore camera guy or you have young kids running around.

10. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay, I think I will go for the Sonys. In my household, we have trusted many many sony products as they are very high quality.